Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Anyone else disapointed by the M4 mags? The steel casing is nice but that's about it.

Mine became unreliable with the bolt stop feature so I took em apart for a cleaning. When you look inside it just looks so cheapo-made, build quality of a $0.99 toy. Even after a very thorough cleaning the bolt stop still fails 30% of the time. What a joke.

I'm surprised there aren't aftermarket mags for the guns, or replacement parts for the mags. Replacing that little latch with something other than slippery shiny plastic will probably make it more reliable.

Edited by markerz
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

My SOCOMs are always having problems with the bolt catch/cut off levers. Nothing to do with the mags though, they push up on the little lever as they should every single time without fail, but often when I put my finger in to the mag well and try to actuate the bolt stop by hand the lever is jammed in place. Try that and see if it's free moving as it should be or has possibly gotten stuck.

I don't think it's the lever, no problems with activating the bolt release by hand without any mags. However it's possible that the lever got stiffer, stiff enough that the mags aren't strong enough to push it all the time? I don't know.

I think it's the mags because I have 6 of them, and I test them out one after another and get very different results. About 2 of my mags work pretty much 90% of the time. The rest are kinda iffy.

Now all the mags do push up their little lever when empty, every single time. But there is a difference, the good mags have good tension and very little give on the lever when it's empty. The bad mags have a bit of give on the lever. It's very subtle , but basically if you just touch the lever, the good mags will take pressure to go down at all, but the bad ones go down around 1/5 of the way even without any pressure. They still stay 4/5 of the way up well, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I'm guessing this is caused by spring tension or poor interaction between the little plastic pieces inside the mag.

Edited by markerz

You'll have to do some maintenance on the magazines. Because the are double staked they will not work with the least amount of sand and/or dirt. Even with the wrong kind of bb's they tend to misfeed or not feed at all. If you keep them clean and use the right bb's the bolt stop will work.

I've numbered my magazines and when they don't feed or the boltstop fails during a game, I know which magazine will need some cleaning. Even when I come home, I check every magazine if the bb's come out fast enough. If not --> open it up and clean it too.

looks like these mags have some issues, got some in my hicap too, nothing that taking out and in again wouldnt solve, but if reports keep coming... i think I will keep using my hicap instead of investing in TM lowcaps... =S

BTW, I though they were single stacked and not double stacked... =S

They are single stacked... why use highcaps when you buy a "realism oriented replica" ?!?

Yes, you are right, but when I bought it some months ago I couldnt afford or justify spending 25€ per mag, so I have to use a hicap in order to make this gun "skirmishable" until cheaper lowcaps are released smile.gif and hope for they are magpul clones :lol:

EDITED for comprenhension sake

Edited by Isamu

stock marui hop bucking rocks!

Thanks! In this case I will keep the original one!

Anyway do you have some sugggestion to improve accuracy or fps without touch the gearbox?

what about a pdi's 6.05 precision barrel?

I've heard that it could be the right compromise to improve a little bit both accuracy then fps, anyone tried?

Do you guys recommend getting the custom eac build from ehobby airsoft with the magic box already installed (380fps?) or keeping the gun stock and just add a tbb.? I hear tms last forever if you don't touch the gear box, I don't want anything to break after 10k rounds. Also is installing a tbb easy in the sopmod? I don't want to strip any wires.(very noob with airsoft)

Putting a tightbore is an ok job even with the SOCOM, piece of ###### with the SOPMOD.

As for eHobby's cutom work, well, personally I wouldn't buy it as I've never in my airsofting career seen any review of their custom work. Given the, 'sensitivity' as it were of the GB in these guns, the timing complications added with the recoil weight, the fact the shell and any other stock parts left are only designed to handle 280 etc. That and I doubt they'll have extensively tested any of these custom guns, the'll have shoved all the parts in there and put it up for sale, with no real idea if it'll be reliable or not.

Anyway do you have some sugggestion to improve accuracy or fps without touch the gearbox?

I've heard that it could be the right compromise to improve a little bit both accuracy then fps, anyone tried?

most ppl suggest installing a preci barrel and a lot of ppl also agree that fireflys hop up bucking and nub are a great upgrade. I have both the bucking and nub as well as a prometheus 6.03 precision inner barrel and this works great in my sopmod! :)

Stick with the stock hop bucking and stop inner barrel. They work great. If you're playing outdoors, the wind and the weight of BBs have more say in accuracy than how tight your inner barrel is (specially of its only .03mm or a hair of a difference).

Run the gun as is.

With a Firefly (Hard) hop bucking, I lost 5-9 FPS. Sticking the TM hop bucking back in got me the original FPS reading.