Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Just had my first problem with my SOPMOD. After it fired 2 BBs at the same time (even dough it was set on SEMI) the gun jammed. It won't fire anymore. I tried in both SEMI and AUTO. Nothing. But I can almost feel the motor trying to spin the gearbox. Also I noticed that the metallic cover that cycles back and forth when you fire (it's the metallic part that you can pull back so you can access the hop-up setting) it's not moving all the way forward. It's only going about 3/4 of the way. I don't know what to do. I never disassembled an AEG before. I really need your help.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Where is the front receiver pin located ? I know this is a dumb question but I never dismantled an AEG before.

EDIT: Found these guides here: http://www.858airsoft.com/howtos/mechboxremm4.html & http://www.airsoft-barracks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=906

After I slide off the upper receiver should I attempt to dry fire the gun on semi and auto (while the receiver is still off)?

Edited by Oppressor

NICE, Richard! :D

...so how much swearing/headaches/throwing things before you figured out what to do for the full stock? lol... ;)

oh, found someone who took apart the ARMY clone and took pics. interesting, although the manual included states that the cut-out feature is there, there is NO cut-out latch system to this gun. (bottom of the post 3rd to last pic before the pics of the hop unit housing) also the pics with the exploded diagram do not show any cut-out lever on mechbox or bolt release.

http://cinnamon.militaryblog.jp/

It's kinda weird from looking at my ARMY the bolt catch with the spring and tiny lever on it is there, but the actual level which works in conjunction with the magazine is not, I'm guessing it's this part http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/lonex-cut-off-lever-for-marui-m4-gearbox-new-v2-aeg.html

It is not. The cut-off lever you are referring to has the same function as any gearbox cut-off lever and has nothing to do with the bolt-catch mechanism, unfortunately!

In this video by our favorite contributor Richard Y, you can have a clear view on the parts that are missing:

Around 2:30 down the video!

remove the front reciever pin, and slide off the upper reciever and try again.

Removed the front pin, slid off the upper receiver, took a look too see if anything looks out of place. Everything seemed OK. Popped the battery in the stock, tried to dry fire on semi. It fired 1 shot OK, on the 2nd one it jammed again. Switched to AUTO, fired 3-4 shots ok, switched back to SEMI, tried to fire and nothing. Switched back to AUTO, tried to fire, nothing. Both times when nothing happened it felt like the motor was struggling to power the gearbox. Got the weird feeling that maybe the battery was running low on juice. I'm charging the battery right now. I'm gonna try again in the morning. I HOPE it's the battery and not something else :no:

The batterys are this guns biggest failing, more accurately the china cells inside the packs. Semi takes more work than fully auto hence why it struggles on single but not fully auto. sounds like battery to me. I do a cell replacment service for people who already own tm packs. 9.6v 1600mah

Is your stock fully extended while doing this? Collapse the stock then try to fire

the stock was fully collapsed at all times.

The batterys are this guns biggest failing, more accurately the china cells inside the packs. Semi takes more work than fully auto hence why it struggles on single but not fully auto. sounds like battery to me. I do a cell replacment service for people who already own tm packs. 9.6v 1600mah

I know Richard :) I'm probably one of the few newcomers to this forum that had the patience to read through this entire thread :)

Edited by Oppressor

You were right. It was the battery. After fully charging the battery, the gun worked like a charm. I also watched your video here:

and did the same thing to my RIS. Now the gun feels even more awesome. Thanks Richard.

And to all: Happy New Year !!!

Ermmmm.. just a gripe, BHD M16 is a M16A2 IIRC :bleh:

Heh, yeah that bothered me too.

All of my kit is set up to represent the 1988-1993 period, so all of my armalites have A1 or A2 uppers. I'm waiting on delivery of my M4 SOCOM (roll on wednesday), so with the lack of replacement receivers around I'm going to attempt to make a detatchable carry handle upper M4 receiver look like an A2 non removeable upper. I've ordered a spare upper from firesupport and have already sourced a carry handle with the correct A2 profile (most seem too square). The lower will still have the M4 trademarks, but that's a small price to pay. I've got a plan of attack, just waiting on parts. I'll post pics if it's not an utter failure! ;)

First recoil engine EBB M727?

yeah im currently selling all my mutlicam loadout to switch over to 1980's era style too. Not to knowledgable with load outs so just ordered woodland bdu's, a woodland lbv i think its called, alice belt and some pouches. Oakley 8" boots, not exactly 80's but i couldnt resist.

Im try and be acurate but im not a purist it doesnt need to be precise.

all to go with my sexy new m16a3 :D

Any one recommend a good 40mm grenade to go in it, i brought a king arms one but it doesnt work just kicks out the gas when i load it.

Good man. The LBV was introduced in 1988, along with the PASGT Helmet, I've got one and it's an excellent piece of kit. If you really get along with the M203, you could always opt for the 40mm vest: Ebay link.

As for 40mm nades, I've had no trouble with the King arms ones. I've got a couple of the cheapie Vanaras ones also (from RSOV) and they are great for the money. A team mate swears by the G&P moscarts, though I have no personal experiance.

dunno its got a load of ball bearings in them which fell out, since i didnt test before hand i cant tell if these are needed in side or where they go.

it rattles when i shake it which cant be good.. might send it back but its prob not worth the postage back i think it was only 20 dollars..

Your the second person to link me that vest today..

The m203 was more for looks hehe

S1110003.jpg

Edited by Richard Y

ahaha i so just found that on google.. exactly right. Need the tool cant keep the little buggers in without it..

Im still trying to picture a situation when i might actually need to shower people with 120 rounds... or how ever many this one is.

other than advertising on camera when i sell it in a few weeks lol

You don't need a tool Richard, just a couple of tiny spots of grease and a ball point pen. They are fiddly... but it's easy when you get the knack.

As for when you'll need the shower... You'd be surprised. They are immensely funny. A great snap shot weapon. Make sure the seals are good and run that bad boy on propane!

Nice gat though, what bits did you use? The guys down here are dribbling over it. Crazy Nam fans the lot of them!

Edited by The Chef

I'm with Chef, I've not got the tool... it's fiddly but do-able. Redwolf have a video showing this method on youtube.

I can't say I've ever 'needed' to shower someone with 120 rounds, but until you've done it I don't think you can fully appreciate how amusing it is. It's a daft weapon no doubt, but it's a daft game really!

ill have a search for the video! sounds like im going to enjoy this, i want to keep the bad boy but theres a lot of cash tied up with it, and well the joys mostly in the making though i would like to use it once as its a bit rare, maybe UA or one of the local clubs.

Bits

TM sopmod m4

G&P M16a3 aeg front end with m203.

G&P M16 Carry handle

Guarder M16 Black Stock

G&P M16 Grip

The AEG barrel needs to be ground and cut to fit

The stock need to be hollowed out a little, the outer ring gorund down and the sling cover mount cut to fit.

A hole drilled in the end cap and a bar cut and fit betwen the two.

That was my method.

Then firefly hop rubber and nub, promy 509mm barrel.

Mosfet AB, rewire, and a large 3000mah 7.4v lipo

Upgrade spring m100 and upgraded recoil spring.

Basically if i do it again, its the cost of those parts to buy in and the cost of a new tm sopmod or socom and a million hours grinding, doesnt mater which. Id do it from a CQB next time.

I don't think I've yet seen a mention of this one, and it's tricky to know which word to search for. Basically, the actuating lever (the part visible in the mag well) on one of my SOCOMs keeps getting jammed in place by some invisible force; fire a quick burst of auto and it's fine, fire another couple of shots and it jams again, etc. The actual lever part on the left side of the receiver still moves freely but the bit in the mag well gets stuck until you fire again. The last couple of times I've skirmished it it just carries on firing through with an empty mag, any ideas would be appreciated; my first thought was the wiring but far as I can see it's not interfering so a bit stuck right now.

yeah two things, 1. the contacts get stuck after a period of wear or use or sometiems from simply installing it on a tuesday intead of a thursday on the forth week of the month when the moon is full. Youll have to bend the contacts untill they allow it to move freely but still make contact. Or you can try doubleing the spring which is on the trigger contact.

Also the outer levers its easy to trap the spring slightly under it when screwing it down, make sure the tiny spring is around the hole then screw it down tight! if its even .001mm away it will have enough roome to jam agasint the trigger blade.

Edited by Richard Y