Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Thanks. Yes it's a Socom and the battery will fit inside the RIS. I will have to dremel the barrel to make it thinner, but we already did this to a teammates gun and it worked fine.

Battery is either this one or that one. I have both but the latter one seems to have big troubles now with the new recoil spring, as the same problems do occur like with the original Sopmod batteries. I guess thats due to the low C rating, my 20 C 7.4 Volt LiPo works much better, though the rof is a bit slow. With the 11.1 Volt LiPo on the other hand its to fast, so I don't know what I will be doing. Maybe I'm going back to the Peq-15 box with the original A123 LiFePo Cells that I used earlier, they do still work great even with the new recoil spring.

Also my new Siegetec Gears that are on their way might make a difference, as they have slightly more torque.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

btw

were is the screw at the piston which unlocks the spring?

Hehe, yea, thats a tricky one. It's right in the middle of the pistonhead but they covered it with plastic. You will have to dremel a hole into the head, but not too deep as you would damage the phillips screw.

Before you do that you can try to twist the whole piston head off the piston, though that did only work once with all the Socoms and Sopmods I worked with, as the screw will most likely start to spin freely before the head is off. The thread should be a normal clockwise one, so you need to twist the pistonhead counterclockwise to get it off.

Good luck, but even if it doesn't work that way, the hole drilling method is quite easy as well.

Edited by Lord Vader

I just went brute force and pulled the spring out the back. It's possible, if not perhaps as much of a good idea.

Saying that, can I now just remove the rear stock and unscrew the back of the buffer tube and pull out the recoil mech and gearbox spring without having to do the whole business of taking the stock pipe off?

Thats correct, you have to remove the complete stocktube to access the spring.

The brute force method to remove the stock spring you described is of course an option, but less ideal I think. It leaves a small bit of the other end of the spring sticking out of the piston, possibly interfering with the new spring, as it can't rotate freely anymore. Thats probably not a big deal, but I would do it clean. I actually used this method the first time (as I didn't knew it better back then) but then removed the remaining end as well.

I've found that using a soldering iron to melt a hole in the plastic then using a scalpel to cut through to be the easiest option of getting to that screw, never had the twist method world for me and this way u can't really damage the screw.

Am almost tempted to go front wire my sopmod for that Vader lol

Went with an m203 >< gun now heavy as

OK guys

now I am assembling the Mechbox and I have a few questions:

- Have i mounted the ARL and the ARL-Spring correct and is it normal that a part of the ARL-Spring goes out iof the mechbox?

dscf3311ntjp.jpg

How do I mount this (especially the spring) on the shell?

dscf3304jslp.jpg

Yes, the anti reversal latch is fittet correctly.

For the other parts, maybe these pictures will help: http://www.tkoverkill.com/showthread.php?tid=375

The lowest part have to be inserted between the gearboxshell halves. You can see the alignment in the first picture of the link.

For the spring, I think the short arm needs to face downwards, though I guess it will fit only one way anyway.

Hope that helps.

okay thanks fpr youe help

yeah i used some tutorials

http://painjapan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=aeg&action=display&thread=494&page=1

http://www.airsoft-one.be/blog/?p=98

and the good thing ist, that I found a bunch of pictures on my PC, I made from the MechBox of my 1st Marui SOPMOD

Maybe they will help someone in the future:

dscf237617dc.jpg dscf2379w7ev.jpg

Edited by robi

mhh I have again a problem

After I assembled the gun yesterday and I put trigger nothing happened.

So I disassembled the gun again and connected the motor directly to the cables put when I trigger nothing happens. I only feel a small weight which is moving a little bit.

What can be the problem?

dscf3336md3a.jpg

Okay Problem solved

after I was pushing the red marked contact also the motor turned.

dscf334617v2.jpg

Edited by robi

Thats the electronic saftey, i usually build it up in height with soldier on all sopmods that come in, saves problems in the future,

guys dont forget my whole video on taking apart the gun and putting it back together again, i know it gets lost in the massive thread but its there still

http://www.youtube.com/user/Eagle6Airsoft#p/u/63/KOr1gaUaWDc

• Like 1

Richard, I've seen how you mounted a full M16stock to a SopMod. Can you film a tutorial how if it's difficult?

Since it's a completely different stocktube I don't know if a G&P full stock will fit.

Also, Since I'll be buying the front battery SopMod ( right? ). What shall I need to fit a Magpul MOE handguard ( rigle lengt - non PTS ) ?

I guess the original rings in the front and the back of the original handguard. But will I need the A-style front sight ?

I'll be using it with a Madbull Dissipator 16" barrel with it. But I'm not sure yet I could fit a battery under the barrel in the handgrip as I see no indentation for it in the barrel.

I'm not sure what battery solution I'll use. The full stock one or the on in the front handguard. Both should take a mini sized LiPo.

Been crazy busy lately, finally getting caught up on current events. CKinnerley ... I replied to your PM (sorry it took me so long).

From reading this thread, it sounds to me like the main parts that are in desperate need for aftermarket coverage are:

* outer barrels (DYtac got that covered)

* full receivers (both upper and lower)

* gearbox shells

* buffer tubes

Would that be an accurate assessment? I've been so tempted for so long to get a TM EBB SOCOM/SOPMOD, run a lipo in the front, and upgrade it to local standards (370 fps on 0.25g BBs). The only thing that's been deterring me is the lack of aftermarket parts. A couple people with SOPMODs locally have had theirs go down (loose buffer tubes etc) and replacement parts seem nigh impossible to source. It seems to me that when these guns run properly, they're awesome. When they go down ... they're pretty difficult to get back to fighting shape due to limited aftermarket support. :(

I dont understand the dilema ... ive spent a considerable amount of time making sure every single sopmod part is available.

I can get upper and lower recievers, in fact i have 3 of them. I can get stock tubes, i have two of them incoming. And another 3rd next month.

I can get outer barrels in any length.

And i made springs in m90, m100, m110 and m120 ratings.

Its never been a more safer time to go sopmod. Lets rewind 2 years.. THAT was hard...

My current issue is simply keeping up with the demand, especially for custom batterys which fit the quick change system.

1 month... Maybe 2. Depends how well the normal v2 ones sell. If they sell well he will reinvest that money in a Sopmod version, the problem was that the normal one v2 was swamped with preorders, there's no point making one for the Sopmod till he done another "large" order of normal ones. From what I understand the design is finished for Sopmod it just needs a first production run, Japan has a pre order in for 200 units so theres a chance we won't get a look in for the first batch. As is the case with all things marui it's 20:1 ratio Japan to international.

The dilemma for me is that normal AEG's don't use a stock tube to mount a full stock and I *think* TM's EBB need them as they house the recoil weight.

So I'm wondering if normal AEG full stocks are compatible with the current TM EBB's. It doesn't state it is, on your web shop.

That's all, really. sorry for making such a fuss about it. :)

I'll be asking the RS MOE mounting in the magpull area, as it is more appropriate and it doesn't really belong here.

I'll bother you with PM's if I still have any Q's ;)

I dont understand the dilema ... ive spent a considerable amount of time making sure every single sopmod part is available.

I can get upper and lower recievers, in fact i have 3 of them. I can get stock tubes, i have two of them incoming. And another 3rd next month.

I can get outer barrels in any length.

And i made springs in m90, m100, m110 and m120 ratings.

Its never been a more safer time to go sopmod. Lets rewind 2 years.. THAT was hard...

My current issue is simply keeping up with the demand, especially for custom batterys which fit the quick change system.

Absolutely true, you've done a fantastic job of sourcing the OEM parts. That's been very evident for sometime now, and the SOPMOD community has most certainly benefitted from that. There's no denying that on any level. That said, there are a lot of limitations to the OEM products. Proprietary parts with limited aftermarket support make people nervous. From what I've observed from user feedback:

• The OEM receiver isn't designed for repeated disassembly. The rear threading fails eventually resulting in the only solution to that issue: an entirely new OEM receiver.

• New TM OEM receivers aren't cheap from what I've seen especially compared to the current industry standard of US$100-$150+/- for aftermarket AEG/WA metal bodies. G&P WA bodies have never had issues with rear receiver threads failing. What's needed isn't so much TM OEM receiver sets that will statistically fail at some point. What is needed is a higher grade receiver set that can withstand repeated disassembly and hard use.

• Difficult to source OEM parts outside of Japan and the UK: Yeah if you're in Japan, you can contact TM or one of the dealers directly. And for consumers in the UK, they have you. But outside of those two regions, you're the only option international consumers have, and to have an OEM part shipped from Japan, to the UK, and rerouted to (for example) the USA ... is neither quick nor is it as economical as buying an aftermarket part from a HK or local retailer. And by your own statement, you're having difficulty keeping up with the demand. An established airsoft retail store/dealer would be able to stock replacement/aftermarket parts is large quantities.

• Lack of variety in trademarks: This is definitely not a deal break for most consumers, but here in the US, if Colt trades aren't licensed and they're not destroyed before shipment, the consumer risks the entire receiver/gun being seized and destroyed by customs. Furthermore some people may want other trademarks not currently offered amongst the TM product line.

No, none of these shortcomings for the current OEM part lineup are creating a world ending issues, because there are certainly options, but I wouldn't say they're ideal.

• Like 1