Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Give it to me as a present in an unheard of act of kindness ?

uuummmm ? no ! :D ;1 x sopmod , 2 x up-graded batts , 1 x hi-cap and 1 standard mag = 300 notes posted et all , reason for sale ? he got a TM G36 !

now don"t get me wrong the G36 is nice but it ain"t no SOPMOD !!

Edited by druid799

I found a little guide that shows how to fit a Mapul UBR stock onto a Socom:

http://www.france-airsoft.fr/forum/index.php?showtopic=106773&pid=2517890&st=2440&&do=findComment&comment=2517890

Unfortunately it's french, but I guess the pictures speak for themselves.

Nice effort by the bloke that did it, definitely. It's a shame he couldn't make the front of the stock sit flush with the lower receiver as it should, I wouldn't go to the effort of doing the same thing myself unless the end result could be made to look more polished; but still, a very good piece of work regardless.

Nice effort by the bloke that did it, definitely. It's a shame he couldn't make the front of the stock sit flush with the lower receiver as it should, I wouldn't go to the effort of doing the same thing myself unless the end result could be made to look more polished; but still, a very good piece of work regardless.

Yup, Viva la france! Sopmods are getting pretty popular over in france and spain, Loads of springs sales in those directions...

Today I had the chance to fire a KWA recoil series M4. I dont know what KWA is calling it, but Thats the name im giving it for this post. I figured everyone here would be interested in knowing how similar it is to the Marui. Here's the break down.

The two systems are not compatible what so ever. Magazines are different and so are the internals. The gun felt ok, the externals are a little weird, they are nice but I dont get the realistic feeling from it. Reminds me of a finish that you would see on a high end cell phone lol. The magazines feel crappy and cheap. The bolt lock feature doesnt feel solid either. Everything about this gun just doesnt feel right. Now, the recoil is a little stronger, but I dont know what battery was in the gun. When using a 9.6 vs a 8.4 in my maruis, the 9.6 feels like its kicking harder. So its possible that it doesnt kick harder, couldve been just the battery. Within a few hours, the gun kicked itself out of the correct motor height. Making the gun extremely whiney after a few hours of people dry firing it here and there. KWA stated that the base price may be just under $400. So it may be a good gun to start off with if you want to get into the recoil generation, but in my opinion if your going to do it, do it right and start off with a marui. Im not convinced and Id rather shell out an extra $150 to get Marui reliability, as I keep my guns stock. But hey, some people stand and swear by KWA so who knows how this gun will turn out. I stand by Marui, so I may not be the best person to review a wanna-be platform so take my mini review with as a grain of salt.

I would have to disagree Berserk. I handled the same gun today and it seemed more solid and better than any Marui Sopmod I've ever handled. The finish on the gun is more akin to my real guns than a Sopmod's. The materials used appears to be made out of a better quality metal too rather than the softer Sopmod metals that have led to the occasional cracked receivers and worn threads. KWA mentioned that the gun would accept standard Marui mags as is without the need for an adapter (though bolt stop function wouldn't work with regular style V2 mags). It was configured in a regular M4 configuration, which isn't my personal preference, but I personally saw it as having a lot of potential for configurations that would interest me.

Always good to have more options of course, but whether people will be able to set up the KWA just as they want it is going to depend on a lot of its' design features.

• Where the recoil mechanism is housed (i.e. if it takes up the space inside the buffer tube like the TM)
  • Compatibility with standard after market pistol grips
  • Spec of the thread at the front of the upper receiver for rails/handguards
  • Design of the upper with relation to fitting the outer barrel, which will be affected by the type of hop unit they've used
  • etc.

On the one hand they may have gone to lengths to make it as compatible as possible with standard V2 AEG parts which means you've got tons of options. But on the other hand if bits like the outer barrel are a new type of proprietary then it'll be just the same as when the SOPMOD came out i.e. no customisation options at all, and unless the platform takes off in a big way then you'd be unlikely to see many companies producing for it even after ~2-3 years.

Where the recoil mechanism is housed (i.e. if it takes up the space inside the buffer tube like the TM)

In the buffer tube.

Compatibility with standard after market pistol grips

Fully compatible (from what I recall).

Spec of the thread at the front of the upper receiver for rails/handguards

Don't know.

Design of the upper with relation to fitting the outer barrel, which will be affected by the type of hop unit they've used

Another good question.

On the one hand they may have gone to lengths to make it as compatible as possible with standard V2 AEG parts which means you've got tons of options. But on the other hand if bits like the outer barrel are a new type of proprietary then it'll be just the same as when the SOPMOD came out i.e. no customisation options at all, and unless the platform takes off in a big way then you'd be unlikely to see many companies producing for it even after ~2-3 years.

I totally see where you're coming from. Personally, I have absolutely no issue with adopting a whole new system, so long as it's a validated improvement over previous versions. Talking to a lot of manufacturers, a big concern many have about the SOPMOD system is whether or not TM would be litigious against people using their patents and TM's general unwillingness to collaborate with other manufacturers (The Daniel Defense rails don't count ... TM needed the rails from SocomGear ... but when other manufacturers have approached TM they've declined). KWA on the other hand has a long history of collaborating with other manufacturers, so that is very promising. If I were KWA, I'd make the M4, and get licenses for aftermarket receivers from various RS manufacturers via Cybergun, Umarex etc. Then start releasing aftermarket parts. This is of course assuming that the platform is a measurable improvement over preexisting V2.

The thing about tms is dispite the wait for parts eventually all parts are made to tm specs... What you dont get is lots of parts for a KWA... on the other hand KWA's are usually upgraded as standard.

I personally think its a good thing more guns, more choice. Obvisouly im still sticking to producing parts for the tm series, as i predicted when these where first announced its not really something due to KWA availibility that we will see over here much.

KRS - i think is what they call it kenetic recoil system or something to that affect.

Theres lots of products and different guns out there too choose from, TM's simply have the support and following to never be affected by other releases...

Something that does come in to my mind is whether KWA are perhaps a bit too late to the ball game.

Personally, I've got my TMs, had them for some time, made all the financial outlays necessary for me to regularly skirmish the platform (backup guns, lots of mags etc etc) so that's done and out of the way. But, with the new style ARs from RS a mere matter of months from release, is now really a good time to be coming out with a line of EBB M4s that aren't anywhere near as big of a leap technology wise? At this point, if I were someone that hadn't bought in to any of the EBBr systems, I'd be sticking with my normal AEGs just that little bit longer; especially since the KWA effort still has a bit longer to go, by that time the RS release will be even closer still.

Edited by CKinnerley

I would have to disagree Berserk. I handled the same gun today and it seemed more solid and better than any Marui Sopmod I've ever handled. The finish on the gun is more akin to my real guns than a Sopmod's. The materials used appears to be made out of a better quality metal too rather than the softer Sopmod metals that have led to the occasional cracked receivers and worn threads. KWA mentioned that the gun would accept standard Marui mags as is without the need for an adapter (though bolt stop function wouldn't work with regular style V2 mags). It was configured in a regular M4 configuration, which isn't my personal preference, but I personally saw it as having a lot of potential for configurations that would interest me.

The texture on the gun felt like a rubberized coating thought, I dont know man It just didnt feel right. The magazines felt flimsey and light. I literally felt like I could stomp on them. and from what Ive seen, the magazines and chamber placement in the gun are not in the same location so Im very confused as to how the Sopmod Mags would fit in the KWA. We'll have to wait and see how this gun holds up. Like I said, I stand by Marui and Im probably not the best person to be giving insight on a similar market product, so please dont take my comments offensively lol. I havent been impressed with the metal kwa uses on their guns. Glock series to be exact. Im not totally trying to turn this gun down, because KWA does make good reliable products with great customer service. The main thing im hoping to come out of this is hopefully, HOPEFULLY we can start convincing more people to shift over to using mid caps/ low caps, Since these guns will be readily available everywhere in the U.S.

Hi guys, I've been lurking over this thread for the past 3 days. I'm about to receive a TM sopmod used from a person but it has been left stock. I read the first 35 pages (under 4 sittings, lol) and I haven't gotten to the more updated posts but I will over the next few days as I anxiously await my TM. The wait is excruciating and reading this thread will help some of that time pass by.

Now, I plan to leave it stock. What I've gather is that the batteries have problem with cold weather. How are they lasting in normal - moderate high temps? (say, around 75-85 degree F) Do I have to worry about batteries dying prematurely during games? Personally, I just play half day games so 1300 MAH is good enough for me. I'm just worried about the batteries dying/malfunctioning on me over time and have to dish out over 50$ for another battery.

And the reliability report: Have the people, who left it stock, been enjoying the same reliability as their TM AEG counterpart have experienced despite the added stress of the recoil system? I got some TMs in my collections well over 6 years old and I hope this sopmod can be here to stay with the pack.

As of today, this gun is literally sold out almost everywhere (U.S. retailers at least) so I'm grateful I was able to obtain one. (The marui agent guy on ebay is selling the sopmod at a ridiculous price) Any answers are appreciated! this is my first EBB rifle!!! just 2-3 years late but oh well!!

Considering that current-gen Marui Recoil Shocks are already reliable as hell and have (finally) a decent amount of aftermarket internal parts support, the only thing that would get me excited about KWA's EBB line is if they were offering substantially better kick, which, from all accounts, doesn't seem to be the case.

I'd be very surprised if KWA can generate more recoil from a buffer-tube EBB system then my Marui Scar, which already feels like nothing compared to like, a GHK AKM, for example.

More interested to see what Real Sword has up their sleeves with their whole electomagnetic (?!?) recoil system.

Edited by Interficium

Should I bring a backup aeg? I'm just scared the battery might die on me (because I've been reading reports of the 1300 mah batteries dyingor not holding their charge as well) and it's making me a bit worried. Especially when I have to drive out a certain distance to an event, i dont want that to happen!! Is there suppose to be a best way to charge this thing?

At your temperature I don't think it will be a problem unless you have a lemon, but my experience is that Sopmod batteries don't hold their charge over time, so make sure you charge it 1 day before or something.

Other than that, if you can bring an extra AEG, why not?

Don't know if it's been reported here yet but Laylax will be making a lower receiver & charging handle for the Sopmod/SOCOM/CQB. No photos but just a CGI. No information about pricing too. It doesn't say CNC either but I sure hope it is. Can scan the magazine if anyone is interested but since it's not a picture of the product, don't know if it's worthwhile sharing.

At your temperature I don't think it will be a problem unless you have a lemon, but my experience is that Sopmod batteries don't hold their charge over time, so make sure you charge it 1 day before or something.

Other than that, if you can bring an extra AEG, why not?

Oh ok. that's fine as long as I know if I charge them the day before and not have them die on me during an event, I'll be happy.

Oh ok. that's fine as long as I know if I charge them the day before and not have them die on me during an event, I'll be happy.

Don't worry, unless you fry a cell in the battery you should be G2G. I made it through a whole Berget with no battery issues, Of course I didn't shoot a lot...

Is it safe to play around with the bolt/charging handle without it breaking? From the videos, it seems to makes a better "clack" sound than most other TM aeg m4s when pulled. My tm m4 has a plastic bolt cover and sounds cheesy when I pull the charging handle... it doesn't feel that durable either.