Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Is it safe to play around with the bolt/charging handle without it breaking?

Well.. long as you don't do it a bajillion times then yeah, it'll be fine. I'm always racking mine, it makes a much better noise than the vast majority of AEGs, way less tinny.

Not on par with a WOC obviously, but not bad.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Richard, any updates on the Stealth Mosfet for NewVer V2 ?

I haven't seen any progress but I suppose AWS have been pretty full with the release of the Raptor drop-in multilayer Mosfet.

Also, do you know if the Raptor will make it to the Sopmod family?

yeah we got shafted lads, there was a lot of "talk" of doing the sopmod fet but i really dont think hes very far along on the project. He mentioned in his last email i might have to send him a gearbox.. well i thought echiy had sent him a whole sopmod to make the first unit on a long time ago.

i dunno guys, he seems to have gotten side tracked with demand for the v2 fets... and pushing the raptor out ..

Im quite glad i didnt front him 1k for the sopmod fets to be honest. As im still waiting for my normal stealthfet order and he actually has them in stock. But we dont have much choice the stuff he makes is pretty sweet and theres no one even close to being able to produce what we need for the sopmod like he can.

All i say guys is if your interested go on the AWS website and send him an email if you havent done already.. make sure he knows exactly how many people are waiting / wanting a sopmod stealthfet and raptorfet. It takes 5 min and could potentially get him motivated to doing the sopmod fet sooner.

I dont mind sending him a sopmod casing or gearbox and fronting some cash but i need a little something from his end on the sopmod subject ... a little motivation or something you know ?

Well.. long as you don't do it a bajillion times then yeah, it'll be fine. I'm always racking mine, it makes a much better noise than the vast majority of AEGs, way less tinny.

Not on par with a WOC obviously, but not bad.

How about the buffer tube? does the screw for that need to be retightened from time to time (with locktite) or it's not necessary? I saw that mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere (I finally finished 104 pages!!). A side note: It's still nice to see the same group of people around from two years ago to still be chattering about the TM sopmod actively till this day.

'cos the TM Sopmod is a damn fine EBB to play with :P. I'm still tinkering with mine years years later. So about your buffer tube, if you keep dismantling/putting back on over and over again and with increased recoil and/or stronger piston spring, the threads could wear 'cos afterall the stock buffer tube and receiver's just pot metal. As such my posts on 3rd party (and hopefully CNC'ed!!) MBKs.

There are solutions though as you may have read throughout the 104 pages - loctite & Laylax's buffer tube lock ring (RichardY's favourite ;-)).

I think though if you don't mess around with it too much, then stock would probably last quite sometime. At least I doubt 2 yrs worth of stock use/recoil is enough to wear the threads.

Edit Aside: RichardY, wish you didn't say that about the Stealth NV2TC-X100. My SCAR-L has been left dismantled since Dec (when I wrote the review) waiting for that FET. It's been so long I wonder if I remember how to re-assemble it!!

Edited by AnakChan

lol sean i had one of them scars apart they are a bit of a pig... kind of like 3 sections which have to reaseemble together at the same time. i think its justa "technique" to it.

All we can do is email him to make sure he gets the "picture" that we are all waiting to buy one.

Buffer tube, its really important to not cross thread it when reassembling, in the engineering world you can tell a good engineer by how he does up a screw ;) back then forward.

Its better not to use loctite incase you need to get it off again rather go for the little and often appraoch and just keep it "nip tight" The key is not for it to be loose, and to not use "full" length springs, all thestock tubes ive had to replace had full length gaurder sp90 springs in there... it cant be a coincidence. luckily given a couple of weeks i can source the tm tubes.

The cnc ones will be a while as they will need a custom recoil weight to go with it as i dont think echiy thought about the tapper when they made there cnc tube.

I just got my TM sopmod. All I can say is: It's just a brilliant piece of engineering and most easily my favorite aeg of all times by just playing with it for an hour or two. I hope the battery doesnt die on me though. The gun shipped it out a week ago and when it arrived to me it still had juice for me to test it out. Guess it's not that bad as i thought?

Thanks for the advice richard. I probably dont plan to disassembly anything so hopefully the buffer tube will stay for a long time.

When i got my sopmod though, I noticed the rails were a bit wobbly (from side to side) along with the front triangle sight. I tightened the hex screw on top and that helped the RIS wobble but the triangle still goes from side to side. Any reason why? The barrel itself doesnt wobble though, feels like a rock. The stock is a bit wobbly too but that was expected and nothing surprising.

Still, i LOVE THIS GUN. I would even be happy if i ended up paying it for the full price!! Maybe I should get another recoil marui AEG!! After waiting so anxiously for this sopmod, now I have to wait anxiously for the next game I will be attending lol

I guess since Im the newest member of the club I'm the lowest rank? :P

If the front sight is wobbly without the barel being wobbly:

-remove the front pin and slide the upper out

-remove the inner barrel+hopup from the upper

-look for a hole in the outter barrel, under the front sight

-insert a long allen screw through it (very small one) and tighten the screw that is there. It's on the other side of the barrel so you can't tighten it if the inner barrel is inside.

And ... congrats on the purchase :) It's the most fun you can have with an AEG, possibly before the RS M4 makes it to the market.

Edited by elanaiba

If the front sight is wobbly without the barel being wobbly:

-remove the front pin and slide the upper out

-remove the inner barrel+hopup from the upper

-look for a hole in the outter barrel, under the front sight

-insert a long allen screw through it (very small one) and tighten the screw that is there. It's on the other side of the barrel so you can't tighten it if the inner barrel is inside.

And ... congrats on the purchase :) It's the most fun you can have with an AEG, possibly before the RS M4 makes it to the market.

Thanks for the advice. RS m4? are you talking about the kwa EBB series that's coming out?

Is there a way I can sling this? I really dont want to take apart the buffer tube to put an adapter (i.e. asap) and it didn't seem like the sopmod came with any sling adapters on the front or back. Maybe i can just tie something to the buffer tube and hook my sling there?

Anyone here ever get the front sight off of their SOPMOD? I've seen a few with flip up sights and have attempted to contact them with no response yet.

I removed the two bottom pins and the pin for the gas tube but it still won't budge at all. My previous M4 (CA) had a screw at the bottom of the sight but it seems this one doesn't.

Anyone here ever get the front sight off of their SOPMOD? I've seen a few with flip up sights and have attempted to contact them with no response yet.

I removed the two bottom pins and the pin for the gas tube but it still won't budge at all. My previous M4 (CA) had a screw at the bottom of the sight but it seems this one doesn't.

remove the inner barrel and hop unit from the upper, and under the front sight you can poke an allen key up into it, 1.5mm i think .. something like that, it actually changes.

remove the inner barrel and hop unit from the upper, and under the front sight you can poke an allen key up into it, 1.5mm i think .. something like that, it actually changes.

Thanks Richard Y, I was wondering why the opening was there but all I coudl see was the inner barrel. Part of me thought I just had to tap it with a rubber mallet, good thing I decided to wait for a response first haha.

Thought I'd give a quick opinion/review of the Magic Box spring guide. Basically, in short, it sux. The guide unscrews itself from the base regularly from the recoil shock vibrations; which results in a mechbox lockup. In whole day's game it's unscrewed on my at least twice. Of course this can be fixed with loctite which is what I've done for now. But it's a bad design.

This is strike 2 for Magic Box (the piston is strike 1).

I get a offer today for a TM m4 socom. The seller says that the boltcatch doesnt function with his 3 magazines but when he put his finger into it, the gearbox stops fire. what could be wrong? the three magazines?

Maybe the actuating lever inside the gun is deformed / out of position? The finger finds it, but the magazines don't...

yeah we got shafted lads, there was a lot of "talk" of doing the sopmod fet but i really dont think hes very far along on the project. He mentioned in his last email i might have to send him a gearbox.. well i thought echiy had sent him a whole sopmod to make the first unit on a long time ago.

(...)

All i say guys is if your interested go on the AWS website and send him an email if you havent done already.. make sure he knows exactly how many people are waiting / wanting a sopmod stealthfet and raptorfet. It takes 5 min and could potentially get him motivated to doing the sopmod fet sooner.

Sent an email to him last week :)

I think I've read this previously somewhere in this thread but I have a question about the lock up when you shoot semi too fast. I freed it by switching to auto and going back to semi. Just have to be careful with my twitchy finger on semi.

Just curious though, Is there a reason why this happens? I found that it happens on my other AEGs too from time to time. Also, is there any damage Im doing inside the gearbox when it's locked up, i free it on auto, and switch back to semi? Is there a problem if I end up having to free it too many times? I dont want my expensive aeg to get ruined!! please calm a noob :)