Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

funny story: This past weekend I had a blast with the sopmod, as expected. However, one point I was shooting at an enemy and the gun didn't shoot. Flipped it to auto and no response. Started freaking out that my gun broke but then I completely forgot about the bolt release

ha ! ha ! been there done that ! (along with most sopmod/socom owners at one time or another I bet !) :D

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

thanks guys, I feel less stupid LOL

@ berserk:

That sounds like a good idea. IS there any modifications I will have to do to make the pack work? Or is it as simple as dropping in each individual cells and just lining up the + and - ends correctly? I'm not sure how these sopmod batteries work. It seems like theres a connector at the head of the battery which contacts the part underneath the fuse inside the stock. For the custom pack cells, I may have seen/read this somewhere earlier in the 106 page thread but any recently memory of it has disappeared.

Do yourself a big favour and send all your batterys to Rich Y at eagle6 and let them guys sort them out for you ,i have two of those ###### cell batterys one worked fine but the other wouldnt hold a charge for more than 30 rounds.The guys at eagle will replace the dodgy cells with higher end cells.brilliant idea the quick change battery so why spoil it with *suitcase* for battery cells ;)

thanks guys, I feel less stupid LOL

@ berserk:

That sounds like a good idea. IS there any modifications I will have to do to make the pack work? Or is it as simple as dropping in each individual cells and just lining up the + and - ends correctly? I'm not sure how these sopmod batteries work. It seems like theres a connector at the head of the battery which contacts the part underneath the fuse inside the stock. For the custom pack cells, I may have seen/read this somewhere earlier in the 106 page thread but any recently memory of it has disappeared.

i played another game today and, as my worse fears suspected, they died after 7-8 mags (mid cap 82) of firing after a full charge!!

I wish i could order from richard but I'm not in the UK (I'm assuming you only ship in your country)...

Has anyone tried to switch out the cells for better ones and found it to be a hard process?

Ive added a low cost next gen gearset to the site, ive fit these they are definatly better than the tm sets... and cost very little. Not as nice as the promy or lonex sets but still better than the cast metal tm sets and cheaper quite frankly. Tm gears are 14.99 per gear and they arnt exactly strong.

For those who want to upgrade but dont want the expense of the prometheus sets.

Edited by Richard Y

They are much harder than the tm ones, the tms problem is that the sector is cast and doesnt hold up on the release tooth of the gear, also its prone for teeth randomly falling off.

These bad boys are simply a basic aftermarket alternative, but are much stronger than tms. basically straight copy but stronger material.

i call them a low level upgrade, with the lonex being the next ones up and the prometheus being at the higher end. The prometheus gives you tuning options ie better torque handling and increased speed from the balancing and build quality.

Hey

My friend has a SOPMOD that he wants to sell me, but the bolt stop only works intermittently. Does anyone know what kind of issues the bolt stop has and what causes them? Thanks

Could be the cables blocking it or a weakened magazine spring. But as the bolt stop works completely mechanical, it can hardly be anything that can't be fixed.

cables from the gearbox you mean?

Right, but now that I notice you said it's a Sopmod, I see that it can't be the cables in this case, as the gearbox is back wired. But it still has to be a mechanical problem. And if it works at least sometimes, chances are it's only jamming a bit and nothing is broken (these parts can hardly brake anyway). Could also be dirt in the magazines thats jamming the lever in the mag. If its not the magazine(s), maybe it helps to open and reassemble the gearbox.

Right then freely admit I'm a total numpty when it comes to upgrading and altering my guns , so i bought a dytec 10.5 when't to fit it this am and discovered i can' slide the cog (don't know the proper part name) on to the new barrel , now seeing as the cog locks every thing in place Assistance please .

Cheers guys

Edited by druid799

The cog (spiked wheel thing, also called Delta Ring barrel nut I think) doesn't fit or what is the problem? Is the barrel too thick?

yup , slid it of the original barrel , but when i tried to mount it on the new barrel it stopped just after the foresight section the barrel is too thick from there on .

The part that has a small philips head screw holding it on, yes? You could just file/dremel out the inside of the TM part, but my preference would be to fit a G&P (or similar brand) properly shaped barrel nut/delta ring set:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=GP-PT-DRS&search=special&rs=delta%20ring&catid=&cat=

The TM design is quite different to the RS, and indeed most other airsoft M4s, this brings it a lot closer and is a more solid solution to my mind. I've done this with my SOCOM that has a 12" Dytac outer barrel.

The part that has a small philips head screw holding it on, yes? You could just file/dremel out the inside of the TM part, but my preference would be to fit a G&P (or similar brand) properly shaped barrel nut/delta ring set:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=GP-PT-DRS&search=special&rs=delta%20ring&catid=&cat=

The TM design is quite different to the RS, and indeed most other airsoft M4s, this brings it a lot closer and is a more solid solution to my mind. I've done this with my SOCOM that has a 12" Dytac outer barrel.

Cheers for the help , ordered ;)