Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

You may want to upgrade your gears for long term reliability, I've seen a set of Socom Gears ruined by a 7.4 1500 Lipo.

Eny chance of a bit more detail please mate , had eny thing been done to the Socom prior to running it on Lipo ? reason I ask I've been running my Socom on a 7.4v 2200 lipo for about a year now with absolutely no effect on it .

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

The delta ring on the Sopmod is not a real delta ring, you won't need the Guarder Wrench for it. It's just a mask held in place by screw on the bottom.

There is the dummy 'cog shaped' part which holds the delta ring spring in place, but as you probably know, just removing that piece by taking out the screw doesn't allow you to swap barrels.

@ TK4235 - Are you actually trying to remove/change your outer barrel? If so, the nut that TM uses to hold the OB on is very much like the buffer tube castle nut, so you can just use the same tool for both. That's what I've always done.

R.e. 7.4 li-po batteries, really shouldn't be a problem. Depends on your C rating of course but generally they're not that much more powerful than an 8.4v NiMh, shouldn't really cause issues with stock TM gearbox.

whats the difference between the 7.4v and the 8.4v? is there an advantage to using a lipo battery? How can the 7.4 lipo be stronger than the 8.4 since 8.4 is at a higher voltage? is it the difference in current? sorry, I never used a lipo before or know much about them. How do these sopmod/socoms handle 7.4 lipos?

whats the difference between the 7.4v and the 8.4v? is there an advantage to using a lipo battery? How can the 7.4 lipo be stronger than the 8.4 since 8.4 is at a higher voltage? is it the difference in current? sorry, I never used a lipo before or know much about them. How do these sopmod/socoms handle 7.4 lipos?

Not much if the output rate is the same.

I recommend this article: http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com/tech-info/lithium-polymer-batteries-part-1/

20C makes 7.4v MUCH better. Of course, it depends on how much the motor can draw from the battery.

Edited by adadqgg

I'm running 7.4V myself, no problems. The Socom in question was stock, I guess it was just bad luck.

I'm just saying, if he's going to push his gun a little bit up, he may want to look into it. IIRC it was the sector gear that got stripped.

Yeah i think we all know by now the sopmod / socom gears are pretty rubbish, its not specifically lipos which break them its simply bad luck / inevitability that cuases it, just a single tooth falls off the sector gear and the last release tooth wears.

For those on the budget the 24.99 hornbill ones are there, simple becuase they are much stronger than the tm ones and cheaper than buy 3 new TM gears !

As always ever since the sopmod came out its been about making sure that every time theres a problem / issue im on it like stink on *suitcase* with a solution. Thus from the get go everyones had confidence in buying sopmods and players continue to get them at an increasing rate becuase even if theres an issue theres also a solution and all i have to do is keep players informed.

Thats why i got the hornbill, no one can argue at the price if they are on a budget. If they arnt on a budget theres lonex and promtheus gears also. As players can atest too, the gears in most cases will last over a year even on a lipo. But regardless thats the solution just incase.

As for the wrenches, sure they are hard too keep stock of but i truely recommend the laylax as the best wrench becuase it has two functiions and at somepoint you will have to tighten the front end delta ring with the laylax wrench becuase of barrel wobble.

Another handy tool is an allen key for the front sight. as it gets wobbly after a while.

Wow, had no idea the SOPMOD stock gesr were that bad... I mean on a £400 AEG you would think they would have put steel gears in?

When my gears strip, i'll go for the Prommy ones, may aswell.... would love a full tune up kit too....lol

On a serious note though, what are the best internal upgrades available at present?

Real M4 handguards will fit but you will have to remove the the heat shields to fit a battery in them, as far as I know.

@Adadqgg, different cause of barrel wobble from the old multi-piece plastic M4s, this would be due to loosening of the barrel nut proper from vibration and the user applying torque to the assembly while operating. A tight nut on a shimmed barrel will not wobble.

@mega Thanks mega, i might try to find some real m4 handguards and do that

I have not noticed any barrel wobble on my TM sopmod. I literally held it from its flash hider/barrel end to support the other end of the gun and it's still as solid as a rock. not something i would do often though

That being said, will the SOCOM's barrel be as rigid as the sopmod's barrel even though it doesn't have the RIS rail support of the sopmod? Im planning on putting a bottom handguard rail and then attaching a RIS-mounted m203... bad idea? i dont have a barrel mounted m203

sweet! now to look for an ar15 handguard for it....

edit: I've been doing a little searching and i've read a few old threads saying that TM m4s cannot fit real steel handguards without modification. However, I think they were referring to the old m4s and not the SOPMOD or the SOCOM. Can I fit the handguards on without any modifications on this socom? I dont want to assume before buying. I've been looking at these handguards:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Handguards-Black-p/bcm%20handguards%20m4%20black.htm

http://www.parts4ar15.com/ar-15_accessories/product/BL-HGM4.html

Which one is the best one?! will they be able to hold the 8.4v battery? Is it hard to remove the heat shields?

Edited by Honzo

I've actually had the gun for going on 2 years now, it's already in this thread somewhere way back. Just thought I'd post up that picture to make the point about fitting the handguards.

Optics - Krazeh is correct. Aimpoint style 3x type magnifier, Bomber replica of the LaRue FTS mount.

Customising SOPMODS - Well yeah definitely, it is an M4 end of the day. You're a bit limited on choices of stocks with the SOPMOD/CQB-R/RECCE, but other than that there's an absolute shed load of parts out there available that you can fit. Pistol grips, different length barrels, rails/handguards, gas blocks, flash hiders, optics and other 20mm rail attachments galore. Pick your poison basically.

All my other photos are publicly viewable on photobucket for those interested in looking. Here's one album, you can access all the others via that:

http://s805.photobucket.com/albums/yy332/ckinnerley/Airsoft%20Guns%204/

Depends which pictures you're referring to really, I've got 3 SOCOMs at the moment. The 10.5" I posted above was my second purchase, my original still has the stock TM 14.5" barrel and a CASV handguard, my latest one is a 12" barrel with 10" MRF rail. They're all in there within the various albums.