Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I spoke about the plans for my SOCOM months ago in this thread and finally got around to taking some pics today.

IMG_5010.jpg

M727 - TM Sopmod with M16A2 carry handle grafted onto the TM upper receiver, CAR-15 grips and M16A2 era sliding stock. She needs a first generation surefire and an Aimpoint 3000 to complete the setup. Best gun I've ever owned, hands down... pretty unique too (for now anyway, while theres little in the way of aftermarket receivers). The markings on the lower should really read either M16A2, but it's as close as I can get without getting into serious custom work.

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

how did you get it to have that rough/dusty look to it? Very nice finish! looks like it came out of that movie, black hawk down lol

There was a really nice guide posted on here a few weeks ago that covers the technique: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/195808-how-to-get-the-afghan-and-back-look/

Yeah, the rifle was definately inspired by black hawk down, though I've wanted an M727 since I saw those Discovery Channel documentries on the Navy SEALS in the late 90's ('The Silent Option', 'Direct Action' and 'In Harms Way').

What what what!!?!?!?!!

do tell about that upper receiver...

It's probably not that easy to explain without pictures, I took the normal SOPMOD/SOCOM upper receiver, milled off the rail section and then mounted the carry handle half of an M16A2 upper receiver too it. This was all reinforced with as many steel pins going from one half to the other as I could fit. After plenty of filling and fettling it looks very presentable now. It's a lot of work, and you end up with a carry handle that's about 1mm higher than it should be (well within the range of adjustment for the front sight luckily).

my friend's sopmod bolt thing stopped working. It doesn't disengage (stick out) when it's empty and doesn't seem to be working correctly. how is it repaired? the power to the gearbox is cut off but the bolt doesnt stick out and it's hard to re-engage the sopmod to start firing again. Sometimes I stick my finger in the magwell and fiddle with the inside of the bolt catch to make it have power again to shoot. any ideas?

EDIT: Actually, I found a new problem. The bolt seems to engage now but when the gun vibrates, the next shot will be dead (no power). Is this a problem with the cutoff lever? when i shake it, the gun shoots again but then eventually has no trigger response again (no power). what can i do?

EDIT2: ok, after messing around with the selector switch it seems to be consistently engaging/disengaging the bolt catch. I also got it to shoot somewhat consistently on semi. No response when I flip to full auto...

Edited by Honzo

Just an FYI, the Madbull RAS fix really helps with not only reducing any and all wobble in the front foregrip, but also really helps with raising your sight just enough so you don't have to break your neck when using a full mask.

funilly enuf i have one on mine ,

2mqvuvl.jpg

my friend's sopmod bolt thing stopped working. It doesn't disengage (stick out) when it's empty and doesn't seem to be working correctly. how is it repaired? the power to the gearbox is cut off but the bolt doesnt stick out and it's hard to re-engage the sopmod to start firing again. Sometimes I stick my finger in the magwell and fiddle with the inside of the bolt catch to make it have power again to shoot. any ideas?

EDIT: Actually, I found a new problem. The bolt seems to engage now but when the gun vibrates, the next shot will be dead (no power). Is this a problem with the cutoff lever? when i shake it, the gun shoots again but then eventually has no trigger response again (no power). what can i do?

EDIT2: ok, after messing around with the selector switch it seems to be consistently engaging/disengaging the bolt catch. I also got it to shoot somewhat consistently on semi. No response when I flip to full auto...

Turns out there was just gunk/debris build-up around the bolt catch area. Shouldve never doubted the marui man

After hearing/reading numerous positive reviews from people who have used the barrel (and bad from everyone who's never tried it), I installed a Tonia Koba Twist barrel today in my CQB-R. It's a 300mm length so it sticks out a little, but thankfully doesn't stick out past the flash hider at all.

I'll let you guys know if it's any good this Sunday

here's some pics of what started as my cqbr, now has two uppers, a recce style which i built last night, still needs some tweaking and also waiting for the bipod which i think ive been ripped off on :( and a mk18 mod 1 style for cqb etc, ill let the pics do the talking

P8130214.jpg

P8130215.jpg

P8130216.jpg

P8130217.jpg

Edited by naff44

hehe

the preowner owned a this CQB-R and one Sopmod-Upper Reciever with SOPMOD inner barrel.

I wanted to have a SOPMOD, so he sold me the CQB R with the SOPMOD Upper Reciever and painted the Pistol Grip. He sold the CQBR upper to another guy. Yesterday I ordered a normal TM Sopmod Crane Stock , cause this VLTOR Thing is ugly as hell :D

Edited by robi

Ah yes, that makes sense. Pretty much as I expected.

The one thing I have to say about the SOPMOD design over the SOCOM is that it does give you the ability to quick-swap uppers nice and easily. Pop one pin, swap, pin back in, done; no way you're ever gonna do that at a game with the SOCOM, heh.

never posted a pic of my socom, how rude of me.

img0533qd.jpg

TM Socom

-DD 7' Lite rail

-Laylax Short barrel

-Magpul PTS MIAD

-Magpul Blackout AAC Flashider

-Magpul PTS Rear MBUS

-Magpul RSA

-Magpul Trigger Guard

-Tokyo Marui Vltor Stock

-Tokyo Marui Sopmod Sling Adapter

-Tokyo Marui Tango Down Style grip