Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

True, though the recoil on semi and full looked pretty good with the old video. Looking at the recoil of this on full auto now, if that also increases the semi recoil from the old video then that's impressive.

At first I didn't really want it though after seeing the new video, I'm buying it haha.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I'm getting mine later this week (postage tomorrow, receive on Thurs??). Sorry, I can't quote pricing.

I'll take pix when I receive it and hopefully get it installed before this Saturday's game and give a review about it next week. Note that I'm getting only the buffer tube, cap, recoil weight. It'll go onto a stock TM Sopmod lower receiver. I'm still waiting for the CNC lower/upper. Decided to support a friend instead of Laylax.

RichardY, if you want I can remind our mutual friend of your contribution to the design. I don't think he failed to mention you on purpose, he's simply not that kinda guy.

I'm getting mine later this week (postage tomorrow, receive on Thurs??). Sorry, I can't quote pricing.

I'll take pix when I receive it and hopefully get it installed before this Saturday's game and give a review about it next week. Note that I'm getting only the buffer tube, cap, recoil weight. It'll go onto a stock TM Sopmod lower receiver. I'm still waiting for the CNC lower/upper. Decided to support a friend instead of Laylax.

RichardY, if you want I can remind our mutual friend of your contribution to the design. I don't think he failed to mention you on purpose, he's simply not that kinda guy.

AnakChan, tell Echigoya to start putting out crazy expensive parts for the Scar :)

Like what? Actually I'm thinking there's not much to do to SCAR ('cos I have the TM-SCAR too) except for maybe just the PWS SRX & that's not that too appealing/fancy. Drop me some ideas and the least I can do is to pass them on. Don't know if they'll bite the bait though.

Like what? Actually I'm thinking there's not much to do to SCAR ('cos I have the TM-SCAR too) except for maybe just the PWS SRX & that's not that too appealing/fancy. Drop me some ideas and the least I can do is to pass them on. Don't know if they'll bite the bait though.

You don't think they could do a recoil weight/spring for the Scar?

Edited by Interficium

lol cheers sean for the thought but im not really bothered hes done all the hard work, hes got all the gear and came up with a brilliant product and then improved on my idea!. He deserves all the credit for that. I'm just glad its being made and isnt just an idea any more.

Id order some but they are very strict on supplying to japan only first, and theres only about 50 sets. So price will be high and limited supply. At this point i think hes garrentied sales, and supply will be the issue.

definantly interested in your impressions though mate and maybe a video ;) you know how we like the videos on here.

with regards the scar, its made out of the same zinc as the sopmod one and infact it should be easier to machine becuase it doesnt need a stock tube to go with it! becuase of the none taper design and also can be done on a mill. i think its very much a possiblility that our mutual friend could machine a ak / g36 / scar recoil weight out of brass. and also get an improvment for them too.

cheers bud, yeah i was going to order some promy ones but its taken agesssssssssssss since i put my last order in. but i can get others if you dont want the fancy stuff :P

Im trying to branch out to all the other recoil ones as well as the sopmod, get some v1 recoil and v2 recoil pistons etc and obviously the scar takes a V3 spring guide.

any preference on brand ?

Nope no real preference mate , I'm not looking to 'full on' up grade my guns , So I think the promy would be a bit of a waste to be honest , just looking for somthing a bit better than the stock ones . I'm really happy with the performance the guns came with so just looking to ' tweak ' them a bit . If ya know what I mean !

Cheers Rich your a good un .

Edited by druid799

Does anyone know how well the Hornbill gear sets hold up? The set looks very similar to those that SHS just released. For those who have experience with the Hornbill/SHS gear sets, how quiet are they in comparison to the stock gear set? The stock gear set sounds way smooth. I just wanted to know.

Was bored last night so I finally opened up my TM M4 SOCOM EBB. I chopped up a spring and stuck it in my M4...POW! 378-82 FPS with .20g BBs. The bushings are stock as is everything else. With the 7.4v 2100mah 25C lipo, the gun turns over at around 15.3 RPS with the EG1000 motor (Stock, my M4 was shooting up to 309 FPS at up to 17 RPS).

The cylinder was a Type-0 version (no holes). I replaced that one with a ported cylinder.

I inspected the piston for some wear and noticed that the first tooth after the pick up tooth had a minuscule amount of wear most likely due to pre-engagement so I trimmed it as needed.

I have the following parts en route:

1. SHS Marui Next Gen M4 Gear Set

2. Lonex 5.9mm Metal Bushings

3. ARS Sorbo Pad for V2/V3 Cylinder Head

-----------------

Angle of Engagement will get some correction after the Sorbo Pad is installed onto the TM Cylinder Head. The Sorbo Pad should also helps with preserving the gearbox shell.

From experience, regular TM pistons hold up for a long time. Hopefully such will be the case with the pistons that came with the next gen pistons.

Richard, how often do the TM next gen pistons fail? i.e. breaking (not stripping)? What about the stock Nylon bushings? I've seen the white ones crack (but I've seen them hold its own on 380-90 FPS setups with a box mag). Thanks :P

yay i saw the next gen ones from shs on my dealer price list thingy, honestly they appear to be from the same factory as the hornbill ones, some im not to bothered about whether it says hornbill, shs or eagle6 on the gears. I did see another set of theres as well also looking alot more advanced but it had a small tappet plate timing lobe which i thought was weird .... so didnt want them. The hornbill ones are very good ie much harder than the stock tm ones which wear on the last tooth and also lose teeth on the sector gear. They dont have any balancing verses the lonex and prometheus sets and obviously going for say seige tek or promtheus you get some for of tuneing option as you can choose 20:1 (seigetek and promy single torque) or 26:1 (promy double torque)

with regards the tm piston the usual wear is from a recoil weight jam, youll see teeth mashed at the half way point. Cracking off the back usually signifys the sector gears shimed a tiny bit to high so the half piston tooth gears rub agasint the secotr gear, during operation it pulls the back off.

its worth a quick look might be as simple as taking one shim from undeneath the sector gear and placing it on top of it.

i have spare gearbox shells that said in 3 years ive never seen one failure, sorbos a bit of a carry over from v2 gearbox cracking days. A nice new cylinder head should come with nice new padding enough to quieten / soften operation verses older cylinder heads which suffer from "hard" rubber pad over time.

@Kunlun, they should. However sad to say that (if you search here in this thread), Magic Box pistons are quite fragile. Mine broke in less than a week of use. In fact overall, if you search further you may come across latter threads that I dislike Magic Box altogether. In a game earlier this year the spring guide base kept unscrewing itself and caused piston jams. I'd personally recommend going Laylax/Prometheus parts and Siegetek gears.

All else, so here's the ARS SURUS I received today (20 min ago!). It's different to both the V0.1 & V0.2 (so maybe V0.3?) but apparently the weight is back up to 400g (I'll need to bring this home and measure on kitchen scales to confirm what ARS has told me). The recoil unit is flat on one end (so it's not perfectly cylindrical) to allow for air to escape and eliminate any air compression. As for the tiny hole in the middle, I have no idea. Possibly to hold the rod in place or something.

ARSRecoil.jpg

When I get home after work I'll check on the weight, and recoil spring strength vs Eagle 6's.

Edited by AnakChan

just a guess. there must be something inside the recoil unit, it is not 1 piece. by looking in the picture it is two piece joint together and the pin in the center serves as a lock for anakchan not to see what is inside the recoil unit :P. i want one. i emailed Echigoya if they have some extras for overseas m4 sopmod fans like us. lol

anakchan. what does the aluminum spring guide for? the stock TM spring guide wont fit to the recoil unit rod?

Edited by zaimon

anakchan. what does the aluminum spring guide for? the stock TM spring guide wont fit to the recoil unit rod?

If you check the Echigoya link you gave back on pg 117, you'll see :-

ARS-Echigoya

4. The rod/shaft is bigger than the TM which is 5.98 mm

So it seems there's 3 versions now (My stock TM @ 293g. Whilst SURUS v0.1 @ 401g, v0.2 @ 350g, and this v0.3 @ 410g). Note that I'm personally designating at those versions. ARS may not differentiating in the same way :-

SURUSRecoilWeight.jpg

The buffer tube (not that it matters to recoil weight but to the overall weapon weight) is on the other hand, lighter than TM's (SURUS 113g vs TM's 129g).

In addition, I find the recoil spring to be a little stiffer than Eagle6's.

FInally, about the recoil, possibly my expectations were too high. It did kick harder than TM's but I expected a big kick. ARS mentioned to me that that the v0.2 (350g) needed a longer recoil spring. Whilst the latest v0.3 410g version requires a shorter spring. So that leads me to think that the v0.2 may have a longer travel whilst the v0.3 has a shorter one. That may explain why I don't get such a big kick despite a heavier recoil weight.

Still am I happy with it? Yes, a beautifully CNCed buffer tube & end cap, plus stronger recoil, I'm satisfied.

P.S. I'm doing the recoil comparison of TM+Eagle6 recoil spring vs the SURUS. Note that Eagle6 recoil spring already improves the kick. So if I were to compare the SURUS against a completely stock Sopmod, the difference will feel much greater.

Edited by AnakChan

its always gunna be a subjective thing, its a feeling after all, but as long as its improved it can only be a good thing as far as im concerned.. I checked into an order its a little rich for my blood for a bulk order at the mo, i need to plow some cash into these aws mosfets. Ill give it a while and see if they get a surplus of these after some time for non japan market.