Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Anyone else lose their receiver pin? I knew I should have bought the bolt/screw one in my last order as I just lost it today mid game.

Update: Dammit, $25 bucks for the screw type front pin and trigger pin, and $19 for shipping *face palm*

Edited by akiraspeedstar

seems like the treads have worn, the stock nut is tight but there is still loads of play in the stock tube :( they may well be the same.

Sounds like maybe the reciever end plate is jammed on the tube and the nut is tight against that but not against the rear of the reciever.

Take the nut off and check that the plate is free to move up and down the tube. The tube has flats on it and the plate ring has 'bumps' that need to line up with the flat areas for it to move. Once the nut is off and the plate free, slide the plate all the way to the back of the reciever (hard against it) hold the tube lined up correctly then do up the nut.

Also double check the nut threads mine came pre mangled from the factory as it'd been done up so tight.

Richard do you have any stock tubes for the socom in stock ? or can get them, would seem that mine is where the problem lays :(

Yup pretty sure i have one in stock, £69

And the gearbox pins are fairly common for faling out, its important as it holds and locates your gearbox.

Ok, here is something wierd and I mean totally illogical...

I was gonna send off my SOPMOD to E6 coz as most of ya know i'm having fps problems..... with my combo of pommy parts.

So I figured i'd try one last thing. I took the sopmod back to stock.... and that includes the marui piston, piston head, cylinder heaed, stock inner barrel (yess i've removed my pommy TB), marui hop rubber and also the marui recoil spring. The only E6 part is the m100 now... on second thoughts i've left the pommy air nozzle on (oops)...

Now my fps is about 335-346...... (with hop off)...

Now someone explain what on earth is going on here with my pommy parts? lol

Wish I had put some tape, oh well I got the first factory and freedom art screw locking pins coming in.

TK - something is definitely wrong there, I know there's a port on the cylinder, I'd imagine that could affect the fps if it were toward the front instead of the rear?

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Are the Prometheus gears in stock somewhere except for Echigoya? Or are they expected to restock soon in the bigger stores (EHA, RW, WGC ...)?

While ehobbyasia is out, Redwolf has them in stock, I was actually looking at them earlier today.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_AEG_Gears_Prometheus_EG_Torque_Hard_Gear_Set_for_Marui_Shoot_Recoil_New_Ver_1_2.htm

Edited by akiraspeedstar

16" is my planned length but I need to drop a standard FSB on it, was looking for stainless but I can always refinish a black barrel.

My total plan is:

16" Barrel with YHM Phantom Comp

FDE Midlength MOE

FDE MOE Grip

FDE MOE Stock

IWC SMC with 4sevens light

Magpul ASAP Plate

Prommy Internals

AWS New Version 2 FET

PDI W-Bucking

Haven't decided on an inner barrel brand and length

E6 350fps spring

Hey Megalomaniac, where do you plan on getting your AWS New Version 2 FET? I was in contact with Frank and he no longer sells it to customers, only retailers. And he also mentioned it doesn't fit in TM Sopmods/Socom's.

Care to share?

Hey guys,

I think a lot of users are having the same issue as me where the Buffer Tube threads just totally stripped and won't screw in anymore. Because I don't have the budget to be spending so much money on CNC lower and buffer tube, I am going to try to repair it.

I'm thinking of drilling 6 pilot holes onto the end of the lower receiver where the buffer tube screws in, and 6 corresponding pilot holes onto the buffer tube; afterwards, screw in 6 screws to lock the buffer tube in place.

What do you guys think? anyone tried repairing this?

Has anyone tried taking the o-ring out of the pommy air nozzle and putting some ptfe tape inside and then replacing the o-ring? I think I may have suspect nozzle as I reckon that is where the air leak is.... The gun is shooting well between 330-340 fps now on stock marui parts lol... (ain't it funny)...

Oh and fire-support in the UK have stock of the pommy high torque gears.. (just one at the moment though)

Dammit I came to post this haha

On a different topic, I just installed a prometheus head, prometheus cylinder, and reshimmed the with prometheus shims. It may be in my head but the rof does seem faster, I wouldn't doubt it due to the piston head ports.

Also for anyone who didn't yet pick up the hard buffer ring, buy it. With my stock ring it always gave me a little problems going on, with the hard ring it went on the first try with no trouble. Also the slots for the tools are sized perfectly, while the TM one was a bit larger.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Question, when firing in single shot I tend to get these "jams" quite frequently lately (occured aswell in the past but now it's really frequently): I hear a "click" whenever I pull the trigger but nothing happens, I have to switch to full auto to make it fire again and than switch back to semi. It's quite annoying since I play more and more cqb skirms where only single shot is allowed. Could this be caused by my gears? Noticed on a gear (forgot which one) there was some wear and tear on a few teeth. Would bushings and the Prometheus gear set solve this? Or could this be caused by something else? Just upgraded allmost the entire gearbox and don't think anything was wrongly fitted ...