Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Hola chaps...

been a while.

Well, now that the crappy weather is starting to return, I've seen fit to get the SOCOM out of it's bag once again and put the VSR away (or at least down, whilst it's windy).

I've upgraded to a 7.4v LiPo and it's a lovely addition battery wise.

I've got a couple of LiPo's, one being a tad bigger than the other.

I'm getting problems with one of them being a little too tight. It fits, but the delta ring spring is so weak, it pops open spewing the battery out.

Does anyone know if the MOE foregrip is any bigger internally?

It only needs to be a smidge bigger.

And as per usual, I'm getting my usual magazine feeding issues.

Nearly all of my mags stick at some point. Highly annoying in an otherwise flawless rifle.

The feeding issue also causes the feed spring not to push up the mag stop on some of them too.

Now, before anyone says.....

They are cleaned to within an inch of their life and they are always emptied, so the springs aren't compressed and the insides are not dirty.

Any ideas?

I'm convinced the internal design of the spring follower is a bit pants and just hanging up on its travel.

Cheers all.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I think the MOE is the same internally, best fix is a G&P delta ring. my socom is rock solid now and its a battle to get the handgaurd off. Which is prefferable to them falling off if you looked at the delta ring wrongly.

Feeding issues, BB's? What brand do you use? Folk seem to think they can be a factor, I only use blasters and have had no issues so can't comment from expernce.

Hmmm... pity about the MOE foregrip. Had some hopes about that.

I have to say, my current best fix is a decent length of Gaffa tape! Might take a poke at that G&P ring.

BB's.. varies, blasters, devils (I know same brand), Pro-Ball, Bio's, Zero1's own brand, and a few others. 0.2's and 0.25's. All seem to be the same.

What I have just done (in the few minutes before dinner), is to take out the little two-ball spacer that sits on top of the BB follower. And whilst this does leave 1 BB in the mag when empty, it has certainly improved the feeding and has cured the somewhat flaky stopping on empty issue.

It still has the occasional misfeed on semi, but for the most part it seems to be holding up.

On this mag at least!

This problem isn't just unique to me, it also happens to another chap at my site with his M4. Very strange.

with regards the mags, change ammo. Theres a reason mags work fine for most and not for some. Its not like you magically got 10 duff mags. It has to be either dirty mags or incompatible bbs.

The blasters should work fine.

The handguard if its the socom, remove the lower hand guard and there should be plastic fins which point upwards dremel them off giving you a lot more room in the handguard. if theres not battery being squeezed in the only just then the delta ring speing wont have to work so hard.

Edited by Richard Y

Hola chaps...

been a while.

Well, now that the crappy weather is starting to return, I've seen fit to get the SOCOM out of it's bag once again and put the VSR away (or at least down, whilst it's windy).

I've upgraded to a 7.4v LiPo and it's a lovely addition battery wise.

I've got a couple of LiPo's, one being a tad bigger than the other.

I'm getting problems with one of them being a little too tight. It fits, but the delta ring spring is so weak, it pops open spewing the battery out.

Does anyone know if the MOE foregrip is any bigger internally?

It only needs to be a smidge bigger.

And as per usual, I'm getting my usual magazine feeding issues.

Nearly all of my mags stick at some point. Highly annoying in an otherwise flawless rifle.

The feeding issue also causes the feed spring not to push up the mag stop on some of them too.

Now, before anyone says.....

They are cleaned to within an inch of their life and they are always emptied, so the springs aren't compressed and the insides are not dirty.

Any ideas?

I'm convinced the internal design of the spring follower is a bit pants and just hanging up on its travel.

Cheers all.

I add a similar issue, but a simple fixed solved it. Put some paper spacers between the mag and the mag plate...that will push the internal mag up higher so i feeds better.

Im toying with the idea of selling my socom now.... nothing wrong with it i just have this urge to buy a systema..... i know i know but I used one at the weekend and fell in love :fear2:

Nutter ;-). When it breaks, see if you go back to the SOCOM.

Mind you though, at Tokyo Move, the guys did manage to fit in a recoil engine variant into their Systema PTW. It actually felt very nice and responsive especially with their electronic hair trigger. However at USD$3250 it was somewhat beyond my budget ;-) (not to mention I had no idea what the reliability was going to be).

*fruitcage*, I just lost my bolt catch spring, hopefully a hardware shop has something that will work, I cant seem to find anyone with it for sale.

Update: Good thing I keep oem parts on the side, used the oem anti reverse latch spring and it words good.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

systemas nice theres no denying it, the feel of it ie external build quality nothing touches it. But yeah they are prone to breaking and need a lot of moneys spending on them. basically about 1300 minium starting price, if your getting it cheaper youll still have to spend on upgrades and mods and be at that price eventually.

Unless your willing to go for an old model as starter.

I add a similar issue, but a simple fixed solved it. Put some paper spacers between the mag and the mag plate...that will push the internal mag up higher so i feeds better.

Cheers buddy, but it's not the feed spring as you describe. I know this because if I take the mag out and pull the little catch back, none of the Beebs come spewing out. Give it a solid whack and it'll unjam and spit them all over the room.

I'm sure it's something inside the feed-track.

I'll give the removed top follower trick a bit of a run through this weekend and see how it fares.

White.... Good luck with that. Whilst yes they are a bit more solid, they are also fraught with more danger.

Vic had one and the motor went (apparently a common issue when running the red cylinder), and that cost an arm and a leg to get fixed. The mags are mad expensive too.

So yeah, you'll be seeing the best part of a grand and a half for gun and mags.

I'd rather have 3 Marui recoil M4's for that price, and pimp one out with a stack of gucci parts for that price.

But that's just me.

Richard.... I've already whipped out those ribs. I've been an M4 owner (not just the recoil one) for many years, so know a few tricks.

Was just wondering if the MOE grip was any larger on the inside. Only needs to be a mm or two, bigger in the vertical downwards.

I may get a bit medieval with the dremel if all else fails.

I don't have much room in there with the mosfet, connectors and all the gubbins.

We're all good.