Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

See how the tape mod goes, its not something ive looked into becuase my mags have always worked it has to be something to do with the bbs its the only variable, but if adding a mm onto that piece works then ill add it too the sopmod guide.

maybe make it a perminant mod with a drop of araldyte

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Richard, I don't think the flaky bolt stop has anything to do with the BB's.

It's only flaky when it tries to operate the bolt stop (when the mag is EMPTY of beebs....)

It just seems as though the lever force isn't positive enough to push up the bolt stop operator on the bottom of the gearbox, when the BB follower reaches the top of it's track.

For me, I gained a mm or two by removing that top 'two ball' shaped follower, thus increasing the lever throw, making the lever action more positive. Adding the tape/shrink has the same effect, by starting the lever throw a couple of mm earlier.

I can only see two possible magazine related issues that cause this.

1: weak springs not pushing the follower up with enough pressure.

2: The BB follower isn't going high enough in its track for the little actuating block (nub) on the back of it to push the levers up enough.

This is possibly caused by a couple of factors. The obvious one is number 1 as above. It could be that the little nub is worn or not designed high enough. It could be that the follower is being prevented from travelling high enough by the 'two ball' follower being too long in design, or as the track narrows at the top, this is choking the BB follower before it travels high enough.

Obviously, if there is any issue with the bolt stop mechanism on the bottom of the gearbox, starting to seize, being tight etc, then this will produce the same result.

But any mod that starts the levers acting sooner should help.

That's how I see it anyway.

TK... what's your UKG callsign?

I just ordered the cnc buffer tube and surus, can't wait for the new prototype anymore. I'm excited to feel the recoil kick with that setup.

Akira, with the amount of $ you've spent on the Soppy you could have brought a real M4... lol

Looking forward to your writeup of the buffer tube & recoil unit... :)

Chef... i'm the loud one in the G :) (PM sent on callsign)

Edited by TK4235

Depends with the way things are over here you can nab an AR for under $600 if you aren't afraid to put the lower together yourself (dead easy, a few pins really, non-pressure bearing so there isn't much to muck up,) but as far as Akira has spent he could have built a top-shelf real AR, with what I just ordered and the cost of the gun I could have built a nice little carbine.

Bastards, you guys made me make a quick estimate of how much I've spent haha. Off the top of my head with the gun and all modifications (internal and external) I'm looking at about $1200, maybe more.

UPDATE: Just did the math, $1570 *face palm*, that doesnt take into account of how much I've sold some of the stock parts for.

Edited by akiraspeedstar
  • Like 1

few years back i bought a systema PTW for $1300 and end up to sold it because i was not happy.i was looking for a gun that not only stops firing when magazine is empty but has a hard recoil too. so i found the tokyo marui socom for $500 usd and spend another $500 for the upgrades (cnc buffer tube, surus .promy parts etc) for $1000 usd my aeg works like a beast in the field out performed the systema ptw haha.

in Japan, Tokyo Marui M4A1 kills the Systema M4A1 PTW bigtime. lol

btw.

somewhere in the different forum .they said Cris Costa will soon use systema ptw as his cross training weapon. lol

as for travis haley systema PTW are for the gays lol

i think anakchan has the most expensive tokyo marui sopmod

ive been following his post here in arnies and he did lots of external modification like CNC buffer tube with surus, CNC lower receiver, UBR modification.

mostly custom made parts etc.

we will see if he will tell us how much he spend for his gun. :D

Anakchan - Does the prototype recoil system use the same CNC buffer tube as the current SURUS? Wouldn't be too bad if I would just need to order a new recoil system, though having the order a new recoil system AND new buffer tube after buying the SURUS would be a pretty bad loss.

Yes, and actually the prototype I showed on the video last month was even on stock buffer/receiver. Surprisingly it wasn't the pot metal externals that didn't hold up but the piston instead. So they're back to square 1. I think your choice to pick up the current SURUS is fine. I anticipate to be playing with that for quite a few more games before a reliable stronger prototype comes out.

yeah ive ordered a few surus and cnc buffer tubes to try out, i heard about the piston breaking it literally snapped in half... lol

Back on the mag issue like i say ive never had a problem with mags and i have 20 or so standards here and my original 10 i owned have since been used and sold on so what 30 mags total no issues... i dunno its not like im doing any thing special i never even clean them. How many mags do i need to use and buy before i get the same issue of a couple of users ?

Back on the mag issue like i say ive never had a problem with mags and i have 20 or so standards here and my original 10 i owned have since been used and sold on so what 30 mags total no issues... i dunno its not like im doing any thing special i never even clean them. How many mags do i need to use and buy before i get the same issue of a couple of users ?

I either received faulty magazines or I some how damaged them. Out of my 5 magazines, I've had issues with three of them.

What I notice is that the lever on the magazine when empty can be pushed down around a quarter way on the faulty magazines (possible spring issue). While on the two functioning magazines the arm is firm. After using the tape and heat shrink ghetto fix all magazines stay firm.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Update from today.

magazines performed flawlessly. No jamming, stopping on empty without fail.

All six mags, no problems at all.

(this is with removing the little 'two ball' follower)

***does a little happy dance***

got some sweet kills with it too. Granted, not as many as with my Mk23 Socom, but then single shot has always been my bag.

I now just need a decent red-dot that is nice and bright and it won't kill.....

Edited by The Chef

Ok so I did some digging through here but couldnt really get what I was looking for... I saw a review that said that the gun doesnt really have a standard V2 and that upgrading it is a royal PITA. It said that if someone wanted to swap the spring for a higher FPS that it would be a whole lot more complicated than in a normal AEG... Any truth to this? I was really looking at getting my hands on one of these but if its going to be near impossible (as in not costing a whole heck of a lot) to increase that 290 FPS Im going to have to stay away... Bottom line is that Im really only worried about the velocity. I dont play any CQB and need it at around 370ish. If all I have to do is pop in a new spring then I will certainly be grabbing one of these, but if the review I saw was true, and its going to be tough to do that then Im going to have to look somewhere else.

Also, how would you guys rate the external quality? On par with any other brands out there??

I must say I don't think it's a PITA to work on - the SCAR-L EBB OTOH, different story.

As with any any stock TM piston/spring assembly, once you've separated the two for some 3rd party piston (recommend Laylax, don't recommend MagicBox), the spring of this is easier to change than a V2. You only need to remove the buffer tube to change the spring.

External quality, I've changed my lower receiver & buffer tube once. It's really not designed for continual dismantling/reassembly - the buffer tube and lower receiver thread wears easily thx a lot to pot metal.

Agreed with AnakChan here...

Once you've swapped out the initial spring, (like all Marui's the spring comes embedded in the piston), changing the spring is a five minute job. Just unscrew the buffer tube and pull the spring out.

So whilst the initial taking apart can be a bit time consuming (no longer than taking any normal V2 gearbox apart), any subsequent spring changes are a doddle.

And if anything, taking the gearbox apart is easier than a standard V2 because the spring isn't under tension when you're trying to work on it!

Like all things pot metal.... if you constantly abuse it, it will wear and eventually break.

I've only ever needed to go in mine once or twice (for the initial spring change), and it's fine. Had it a while now, but granted she doesn't get a lot of use.

anakchan did you already install your CNC lower receiver? hows the fitment?the ARS has promise me to reserve one for me this coming 2nd batch.

oh oh oh i cant wait to have one though it has no markings but not bad. :D

akiraspeedstar you should email the ARS direct not the echigoya.i emailed them 4 times finally they heard my prayers lol.