Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Akira, good to hear that you are happy with the build quality of the product... anything that's an improvement over pot metal is an added bonus....would love to see some photos of the CNC parts and the SURUS you have.

Can the SURUS be taken apart and perhaps be lubed up internally with silicon oil to help the recoil? Or perhaps there is somesort of padding inside to dampen any recoil affect so as to prevent damage?

Anakchan - That sucks to hear, I hope they fix these issues in future runs. I also hope they're no issues fitting the vltor upper.

So today I've just spent 3 hrs in Echigoya and they resolved my CNC buffer -> CNC lower issue. Basically the thread tolerance was just too tight. So they fixed that up. A few other recommendations :-

1) not to use the brass pin on the selector switch (the thing that clicks you into safe/semi/full) - and replace it with a ball bearing instead

2) the right dummy plastic plate that always points to semi on the right side of the receiver needs to be sanded down or it'll put a tight squeeze on the mechbox (and in turn makes the selector switch/plate integration too tight).

3) the bolt catch/release needs to be slimmed down a little for it to have more play - the cavity in the receiver is a little too tight

In short, talking to Echigoya, it's probably best to have a shop (with access to the right tools) to do so. You probably could do it yourself with dremelling but if not, then leave it up to the shop.

P.S. RichardY, I saw your box of goodies :D. Hopefully will be shipped out tomorrow.

Edited by AnakChan

Anyone have issues with fitting a Madbull DD RISII to a SOPMOD/SOCOM, I've fitted mine and no matter what I can't get my barrel to lock up tight, I tried using the laylax shims as I had Fathammer's SOCOM laying around, but they still didn't lock it up tight.

Edited by Megalomaniac

Anyone have issues with fitting a Madbull DD RISII to a SOPMOD/SOCOM, I've fitted mine and no matter what I can't get my barrel to lock up tight, I tried using the laylax shims as I had Fathammer's SOCOM laying around, but they still didn't lock it up tight.

I used 4-5 shims (forgot), tightened it down and it doesnt wobble at all. I tightened it pretty tight with the tool though.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Oh! I HAVE to try that! I am getting lot of issues with the bolt stop/catch!

Tried the heat shrink mod but doesnt work :/ Starting to think something is wrong with the bolt catch :/ It does work in full auto but doesnt in single shot? :/

So I'm almost there with my Sopmod (can't really call it a Sopmod anymore can I!?!?) facelift. My ambi mag catch/release needs some work :-

Externals

• Echigoya CNC Lower (Magpul Logo done privately/separately)
  • Stock TM Upper
  • Echigoya CNC buffer
  • Magpul UBR (+ option pad)
  • Magpul MIAD
  • Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T
  • Magpul MBUS v1.0
  • Madbull DD 9" AR15 Lite
  • Magpul AFG v1.0
  • Echigoya 10.5" Outer barrel (Further shortened)
  • Magpul AAC suppressor

Internals

• Siegetek/RiotSC Gears
  • Tienly GT-40000 motor
  • Extreme Fire/Gandolf's SW-AB-Long AB-FET
  • Flat Hop-Up

MagpulM4-1.jpg

MagpulM4-2.jpg

• Like 1

Anak, simply awsome... the gun looks so different... you should call it the "anakmod"

Need to ask, the UBR stock I presume no batteries in it or have you got the gun front wired or rear wired?

How does the flat hop work compared to the stock rubber?

Also, do you use a SOPMOD mag adapter to be able to use 3rd party magazines? Love the PMAG...

Edited by TK4235

For those of you that have held off on the SOPMOD and CQB versions because of the proprietary battery...

A local gunsmith has come out with a cool little adapter.

I have pre-ordered one and will report back when I get it.

That is promising and allows alternatives ... let us know the price in £ too.... one can never have enough batteries lol

Look forward to your review..

Here's the webpage... :)

Sopmod battery endpiece.

http://www.gunsmithbaton.com/product/831

Battery 7.4v 800mah

http://www.gunsmithbaton.com/product/830

Battery charger

http://www.gunsmithbaton.com/product/828

Website says that the parts will be available next year around May 15th...

Edited by TK4235

Tried the heat shrink mod but doesnt work :/ Starting to think something is wrong with the bolt catch :/ It does work in full auto but doesnt in single shot? :/

Kunlun, when you put the bolt catch back on the receiver, did you make sure that the lip of the inside of the bolt catch sits between the bolt stop meachanism... it's kinda hard to explain but the bolt catch should not go wrong. It's a simple mechanism. You have not lost the little spring that goes on the outside of the gear box have you?

For those of you that have held off on the SOPMOD and CQB versions because of the proprietary battery...

A local gunsmith has come out with a cool little adapter.

I have pre-ordered one and will report back when I get it.

Another option is to just take off the connector on the buffer tube, take out the power rails, and then just solder in a deans connector. Best part is that you could easily return it to stock in like a minute. With the CQB-R I noticed that it doesn't really cause any wobble at all, though with the Crane stock (SOPMOD) it causes some crazy stock wobble (unless you have the Echigoya CNC Tube). Though this is a very nice option to leave the gun in a OEM setup.

Interesting, my bolt catch is operating every single time after my modification. It hasn't been working for about two months, but now it works every single time. Like TK mentioned, do you still have the spring in there?

So I'm almost there with my Sopmod (can't really call it a Sopmod anymore can I!?!?) facelift. My ambi mag catch/release needs some work :-

Externals

• Echigoya CNC Lower (Magpul Logo done privately/separately)
  • Stock TM Upper
  • Echigoya CNC buffer
  • Magpul UBR (+ option pad)
  • Magpul MIAD
  • Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T
  • Magpul MBUS v1.0
  • Madbull DD 9" AR15 Lite
  • Magpul AFG v1.0
  • Echigoya 10.5" Outer barrel (Further shortened)
  • Magpul AAC suppressor

Internals

• Siegetek/RiotSC Gears
  • Tienly GT-40000 motor
  • Extreme Fire/Gandolf's SW-AB-Long AB-FET
  • Flat Hop-Up

MagpulM4-1.jpg

Damn your gun is beautiful, I hate you haha

Here's my CQB-R

External:

• Tokyo Marui FDE Crane Stock
  • First Factory Hard Inner Block
  • Echigoya CNC Buffer Tube
  • ARS CNC Buffer Tube End Cap
  • ARS CNC Buffer Ring
  • ARS A.S.A.P. style sling plate
  • Magpul PTS MIAD
  • Magpul PTS Metal Base Plate
  • Magpul PTS Trigger Guard
  • Magpul FDE Magazine Assists
  • Firepower Flip Up rear sight
  • Unknown Company CompM4 Red Dot Sight
  • First Factory Trigger Lock Pin
  • Freedom Art Locking Pivot Pin
  • Madbull MK18 RISII Rail
  • First Factory Barrel Lock Shim Set
  • G&P Vltor Style Gas Block
  • Magpul RSA
  • Magpul FDE XT Rail Covers
  • Element Dual Remote Control
  • Element M3X Tactical Illuminator
  • Pro&T AN/PEQ-15
  • STAR PTW Flip Up front sight
  • ARES Vertical Grip
  • G&P KAC Style Flash Hider

INTERNAL:

• Prometheus 6.03mm Barrel (300mm Length)
  • Prometheus Air Nozzle
  • Prometheus Cylinder Head
  • Prometheus Cylinder
  • Prometheus Piston Head
  • Prometheus Piston
  • Prometheus Double Torque Up Gears
  • Prometheus Bushings
  • Lonex Anti-Reverse Latch
  • Eagle6 M110 Spring
  • Eagle6 Hard Recoil Spring
  • SURUS
  • Removed OEM Battery System and replaced with Deans Connector

mk18mod1.jpg

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Kunlun, when you put the bolt catch back on the receiver, did you make sure that the lip of the inside of the bolt catch sits between the bolt stop meachanism... it's kinda hard to explain but the bolt catch should not go wrong. It's a simple mechanism. You have not lost the little spring that goes on the outside of the gear box have you?

Interesting, my bolt catch is operating every single time after my modification. It hasn't been working for about two months, but now it works every single time. Like TK mentioned, do you still have the spring in there?

Mmmm, good question ... I will check tonight, would explain a lot ...

@ Anakchan & Akira: very nice builds!

You boys are bad.... :D

Anak, Akira, both guns are lovely (can I say that about a Marui EBB? lol)

Akira, that is one long rail.....i think you're missing a grenade launcher ;)

You know I was very close to buying one haha, would be hilarious to use at some of the fields that I play at. Though in the end, the gun is already heavy enough for me, don't even want to think of the weight after adding a m203 launcher and grenade on the front.

Need to ask, the UBR stock I presume no batteries in it or have you got the gun front wired or rear wired?

Go back a couple pages TK I got him to post some links to early in the thread so you can see the battery set up.

Its a slim split lipo slipped into the DD lite rail which is the way I'm going too. Have a 1450mah that is roughly the same dims that I got from component shop. Fingers crossed it fits.