Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Idk... Just seems a bit wobbly to me, just not as sturdy as others Ive come across. The finish is pretty decent but not quite as nice as others Ive seen. The previous owner filled in the trademarks and there are a few scratches here and there so maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth and am being too critical. The recoil is fun and all, the accuracy is great, ROF is better than expected but there is just something in the fit and feel that is lacking to me. Maybe Im just being way too critical lol... Dont get me wrong, this is one of the nicest AEGs Ive ever seen, just not quite what I had expected. Im getting out to a game with it this weekend and will report back on how I feel after that. Hopefully I fall in love with it, if not then you guys may be seeing it up for sale here shortly lol. XD

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

If it's wobble in the RIS, an easy fix is to remove the RIS, tighten the delta ring piece on the barrel with a screwdriver, put the RIS back on, then ensure that the bolt at the top of the RIS is nice and tight.

Trust me, once you get to use it in a game, you'll never want to go back to regular AEGs ever again. The accuracy and range are amazing and the best parts of all are the recoil and bolt stop function.

spydey, i know how you feel. I had this initial impression. I've bought a TM sopmod used and the externals at first seem lacking to me. It might just be from the poor condition the previous owner has put it in. However, when i bought my socom (brand new) overseas, the metal externals, etc were much more impressive.

That aside, take out this baby and get ready to have some fun! People always mistake my sopmod for a gas rifle. The only thing is that you don't hear a hissing noise with these things like it has gas running out ;)

Got my first SOPMOD in today. Pretty excited about it so far... The recoil is deffinitely a nice change from normal AEGs. Externals arent quite where I would want them but I guess thats not anything to bad considering the things that are awesome about this gun.

And now the path of upgrades begins. :)

Oh and welcome to the club :D

akira what motor did you use in your set up?

Stock motor, though I want to try that motor from Echigoya. Has anyone tried this motor out?

http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=341

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Idk... Just seems a bit wobbly to me, just not as sturdy as others Ive come across. The finish is pretty decent but not quite as nice as others Ive seen. The previous owner filled in the trademarks and there are a few scratches here and there so maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth and am being too critical. The recoil is fun and all, the accuracy is great, ROF is better than expected but there is just something in the fit and feel that is lacking to me. Maybe Im just being way too critical lol... Dont get me wrong, this is one of the nicest AEGs Ive ever seen, just not quite what I had expected. Im getting out to a game with it this weekend and will report back on how I feel after that. Hopefully I fall in love with it, if not then you guys may be seeing it up for sale here shortly lol. XD

second hand ones in most cases have been treated pretty bad in my experience, looser than a wand up gandolfs sleve. Even band new ones ive recieved with RIS wobble. Get a laylax wrench tool you will need it for maintance anyway and then tighten up the delta ring and the 1 screw on the outer barrel and the 1 screw on the RIS, also if the front sights wobbly theres a grub screw underneat youll have to remove the inner barrel to access it.

simple fix and it will feel rock solid afterwards.

The recoil shakes these things alot, if you dont maintain it, it will eat its self into a million peices which is the state of many second hand ones i receive this is not a gun for the lazy or neglectfull airsofter.

welcome to the club, many questions have already been answered here in the many many pages.

Ok, so after a period of 2-3 months: is it me or are these sopmod rails even more solid on my socom? Like literally a rock. i dont even do any maintenance to keep them tight. The buffer tube is holding up but i have an AR wrench tool in case it gets loose. Overall, is the socom more solid than the sopmod?

My sopmod had the loose buffer tube problem and rails needed to be tightened regularly.

Btw, my scar just came in. That makes my TM recoil count 3. Who's still in the lead? druid?

First big failure today - gearbox has completely locked up and can't be cleared with full auto. The motor's trying to turn it over, but no joy. Not the battery, it was a fully charged Eagle6 LiPo and I gave it another hour of charge after the problem occured just to double check. Any suggestions before I have to take the whole thing apart?

Also starting to see some empty mags not locking the bolt back now - I shall have to investigate that mod a few pages back.

Broken sector gear tooth. And bearing.

Also, the wiring to the rear is now sheared in half since the "medium" strength threadloc is more like superglue and the wiring gave way before it did (I think I'm actually going to need a vice to hold it). Anyone know what/where to get that inflexible wiring that goes to motors?

This is a day without sunshine!

Not surprised I think you'd need to front wire for any hope of neutral balance.

Used mine last night for the first game since fitting the lite rail and the battery stays in place nicely despite not being "held" in place.

Would advise a hard barrel base for anyone fitting a free float rail. As although held firm enough not to move when shooting, after not long and not much use the standard base looks to be buckling. Got a split base on the way, despite no reply from ARS on if it works with the madbull nut (fingers crossed).

Not surprised I think you'd need to front wire for any hope of neutral balance.

Yeah when I hung my battery over the front of the gun it was at about 55 degrees. I think I'll end up doing a front wire once the aws raptor comes out, since I could just easily buy the front wired model.