Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Unbelievably I have actually managed to fix mine. :) Eagle6 bits turned up in a couple of days despite being Christmas, so not bad. As mentioned earlier, the sector gear had broken a tooth, which had then stayed where it broke in the spur gear and caused the jam on the next cycle - which ended up blowing the fuse as well. Then I sheared off the rear power cables when trying to unscrew the stock pipe. Oh, and one of the bearings had shattered too.

Replaced bearings with Prometheus ones - I found using a gas valve tool to apply pressure worked quite well, no hammer required.

Replaced original gears with Lonex ones. Much bigger tappet plate pickup on the sector gear, generally look better.

Disassembled, unsoldered and rewired trigger switch.

Made up new motor spade connector for black terminal.

Correctly reassembled tappet plate (first time through the notch was off making the nozzle point at an upward angle)

Bought a vice in order to unscrew locking ring from stock tube.

Unsoldered and rewired rear rail pickup connectors.

Replaced fuse.

Put back together. Gun still fires (motor height needed a lot of adjustment initially) and bolt lock still works! We shall see if it stays that way after the next skirmish...

Unbelievably I have actually managed to fix mine.

Put back together. Gun still fires (motor height needed a lot of adjustment initially) and bolt lock still works! We shall see if it stays that way after the next skirmish...

And did you sit there with a smug look on you face ?

And did you have a warm fuzzy feeling in the sub cockle area of your body ?

I hope you did !

Edited by druid799

Anakchan or GingaNinja, any way you guys could help us out in this situation with the pMag shells? I tried contacting them, hopefully it's possible to place an order. I'd probably end up purchasing at least 7 of those shells if possible.

http://www.airgunshop.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=17727

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Alright they responded to my email, unfortunately they mentioned that they will not ship any orders internationally. Though they recommended a forwarding company (Tenso) to utilize if I wanted products from them. I attempted to make a account with the airsoft shop and can't figure out how the hell to do it haha, plus the google translations can be a little confusing and probably off at times. Anyways, ended up messaging my friend who's from Japan and visits there a couple times a year on aid with this matter. Hopefully he'll be able to figure out something to get me some shells.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

I was tempted but after reading the owners blog ( where he shows how to do the transfer ) I have decided against it. Not interested in doing any mods where you have permanently damage the original mags.

You can see that he cuts off the mag tabs and does some filing to get them to fit.

You also have to add (buy?) stickers for the mag window. They were originly included as a promotion, but you have to buy them now.

The original thread from hyper-doraku also mentioned they were tight on the M4 and needed some filing.

Here is the blog post.

http://hongkongmania.blog68.fc2.com/blog-entry-164.html

I don't mind the modifications to the internals of the OEM magazines, as it isn't severe and looks like you could if you really wanted to just put some foam if returning it into the OEM shell. Though if it has some issues with fitting into the gun then I have some concern. Reading the translated page is hilarious, as some of it makes absolutely no sense haha.

Step by Step RS PMAG Conversion guide for Tokyo Marui M4A1 Sopmod Magazine

credit to Echigoya

http://echigoyaworks.militaryblog.jp/e284810.html

my-1.jpeg

Following is the step by step process on how we convert a real PMAG magazine to fit into an airsoft AEG specifically the recoil shock series. By using the internals of a Tokyo Marui magazine and months of trial and error we were able to accomplish the task… Mission Impossible? Not in our shop!

The Real PMag

pmagmod-01.JPG

pmagmod-02.JPG

Remove the bottom cap

pmagmod-03.JPG

Then you can discard the spring and the round follower, but keep these three parts, you will need them later on.

pmagmod-04.JPG

Mark where you will make the trims, good thing about the magpul there is a line that will help guide you. You will make the cuts a few mm above this line. Also take note where the trim will make and make a higher trim on it as shown where the masking tapes are.

pmagmod-05.JPG

Fisrt part cutting of the mag using a vertical machine.

pmagmod-06.JPG

pmagmod-07.JPG

Second part cutting.

pmagmod-08.JPG

pmagmod-09.JPG

Third part cutting (back side)....

pmagmod-10.JPG

pmagmod-11.JPG

pmagmod-13.JPG

To look like this (as shown already fitted with the TM internals)

pmagmod-11a.JPG

Using a dremmel, try to flatten out the foremost part of internal ribs on the mag as shown (include the internal sides)

pmagmod-12.JPG

pmagmod-15.JPG

Now we go the TM Magazine internals

We need to turn it as shown below, from the right to the left. Using a vertical machine and a dremmel.

pmagmod-20.JPG

Trim the flaps as shown below (from the left to look like on the right

pmagmod-23.JPG

Trim the underside of the lip

pmagmod-16.JPG

To become like this

pmagmod-17.JPG

As shown fitted in the mag

pmagmod-17a.JPG

pmagmod-17b.JPG

Now trim the back part

pmagmod-18.JPG

pmagmod-19.JPG

Remove this protruding part (also on the front side - no pic)

pmagmod-17-1.JPG

Use a dremmel to trim the corners on this side (shown by the 2nd arrow) and also on the bottom. The purpose of this is to take the shape of the polygonal shape of the Pmag.

pmagmod-20.JPG

Now trim the bottom plate of the mag about 3-5 mm (this will depend on the fitting of the internals when you insert it)

pmagmod-24.JPG

Now start assembling everything.

Edited by zaimon

I suppose these fit fine on the socom: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/madbull-daniel-defense-9inch-omega-rail.html ?

I want something different than my MOE handguards so I tought I would give myself some Christmas presents :D I chose this handguard since you can open it which seems very practical for replacing the battery etc :)