Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

TK the gearbox will have come to rest such that the cutoff lever is engaged. It does nothing in Auto so flicking to auto allowed the gun to cycle.

Akira you mean function like draw the piston back? I think you'd have trouble making the charge handle strong enough and you'd need a way to connect the two.

Not sure if this is old news, but the newer versions of the ARMY clones are out at airsoftpanda. I just got mine (r48: 10.5" barrel, LE stock) yesterday. No pics yet, but I'll post a brief summary:

-Empty mag catch is present and functional, as verified by my finger. My TM midcap is in the mail and I'll let you know if it works as good as my finger does to stop the gun.

-Recoil feels like it's barely there? I haven't had time to take out the weight to put on the scale yet. I've never fired the TM version, so sorry, can't compare. I've owned my fair share of GBB's and it doesn't come close. You can certainly hear the recoil unit in action, however...

-selector switch is mushier than poop

-body looks great with deeply engraved trades. Close inspection reveals a gap between upper and lower due to poor tolerances, but hey, it's a clone!

-finish on trigger, cocking handle, mag release, etc. is a horrible grey color that doesn't match the body. I'll probably be giving these a good duracoat sometime when I disassemble the rifle.

-For some reason, the r48 in particular includes a right hand only sniper grip (?) which I am going to switch out as soon as my MIAD arrives in the mail

-Included 9.6 1100mah NIMH battery barely cycles the gun. Included fuse burnt out after 3 shots. I replaced with a higher quality fuse, but it was still locking up every other shot: I'll probably be replacing the gears, piston, and motor soon.

-Whole gun comes out of the box fairly wobbly... I haven't tried tightening things up yet other than the buffer tube. It was so loose out of the box that you could rotate it without a tool.

It cost me 150 USD before shipping. Wouldn't recommend to someone new to AEG's, but since I'm planning on replacing most of the critical guts of this thing anyways, I'm overall pleased.

So I still want a DMR build and I just realized that I have a near complete OEM internal setup on the side, with the only thing missing being a trigger switch and motor. If I were to buy a upper receiver, lower receiver, and a new barrel then I could completely have a new gun haha (as I could just easily swap the motor from gun to gun in seconds). Though a new upper and lower would probably run me about $380 shipped, might as well buy a SOCOM in that case.

I'm very much taking into consideration the purchase of an ARMY Clone, mostly just for the body, barrel, etc. if I could shove my TM internals into it.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Hye guys,

I'm problably the 50'st to ask but in search of an anwer the only thing i got are different answers and i do not know very much of AEGs ^^

so please, explain once :D

I ordered a TM Sopmod, TM all the way btw ^^

but i wanted to get a new look on it ^^

so i found the MadBul DD 9,5" RIS II

Is it just a basic instal? I red about threading the upper reciever? About Shimms, about electrical tape?

others say its an easy install with no problems.

then there is the Madbull and Socom gear version wich are the same or are they different?

I'm getting a headeach figuring out, so please can some one help me. and if you need to use shims or tape can you add a picture ^^

Many many thanks!!!

EpiX

First of all congrats on the new purchase, the Madbull RIS2 goes on pretty easily and the shims set is very necessary or your rail will wobble around like there's no tomorrow. I used 4-5 shims, sorry forgot the exact number, and tightened it down good and the barrel and rail doesn't wobble at all.

Also you MAY need 4 washers for the bolts...if you look closely at my gun, you'll see I had to install a washer between the rail itself and the rail mount. Without those washers the rail would angle downward and not line up correctly. This may have possibly just been a flaw with the rail I got, which is why I said you may need it. Other then that it's a very simple installation and you'll love the look of it over the stock rail that comes with the SOPMOD.

In regards to the SOCOM GEAR and Madbull, they're both the same rail, though from what I've been told SG has a nicer finish over the Madbull. Though SG told me that they also no longer produce rails, well at least the 9.5" MK18.

392962_2172686649138_1605930950_1680825_1026261227_n.jpg

Here's the type of Shims you need...

http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=304

If you don't have a barrel nut wrench (which you need) then here's what I used which is great for both the buffer tube and barrel.

http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=316

Edited by akiraspeedstar