Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Well get a piccy up of it ! Lol . funnily enuff I've got a perr-mike custom barrel extender on order so I can run it as a 16 aswell !

Was quite surprised how much of a diffrence the G&P storm grip made to the feel of the GATT , lot more comfy to hold and point I feel .

Edited by druid799

Ok, so heres a pic of my SOCOM and its current incarnation. Its been rocking the SFW get up for about 4 months now and Im loving it. Think Ill stick with this one.

jprif_crop.jpg

its got a Perr mike 16" barrel extension on, which is a real nice piece of kit.

The min barrel is a 10.3" outer barrel.

the G&P storm grip is a really comfortable grip, feels very positive in the hand as does the grip pod.

Its not 100% complete;

I have an ACOG on order which should arrive in the next 2 weeks, then I'll be looking for a MRDS and shroud to go on the ACOG.

Also would like to get a Surefire flash hider and suppressor for it (suppressor mostly for when I take off the barrel extension and go for the 10")

The fore sight is currently a VLTOR sight as I seem to have lost my TM A frame sight, I have no idea what Ive done with it!

so I'm on the look out for a Diemaco specific foresight, failing that I will just pic up a regular M4 sight.

Only other bits I'd want for it are perhaps a double mag sinch (and an AWS stealth fet if it ever comes out!!)

internally its almost stock.

I have an Eagle 6 m100 spring and prommy guide rod, also a promy 6.03 inner and firefly hop (with a little bit of a g-hop mod, which im just testing the water with but finding it works quite well.)

I have a bunch of other prommy internals but havent gotten around to installing them yet (again still holding out for the aws stealth fet to do it all at once)

battery is a 7.4vlipo in the peq box.

Hope you all like!

Edited by Number5

That's sweet man , I decided to go down the 'older school' look but do also have an Acog and peq15 if I do fancy running it in a more modern set up . One thing I am quite proud of is the DIS , it's an M4 carrier that i stripped and rebuilt with mil puttie to look like a diemaco iron sight .

Edited by druid799

Thanks guys, I like it! :)

Druid, that's nice work with the carry handle! Could not tell it was scratch built!

I was thinking of doing a similar thing with the foresight as the diemaco ones are hard to find and I've seen some good pieces others have made!

The RIF Has a 363 mm inner barrel in, with that and the m100 it's getting around 340FPS. Fairly happy with it, the change in FPS is around +\- 4 FPS, which is ok for a rifleman role. I think this would tighten up with Promy internals.

Edited by Number5

Hey guys, I' ve just received an answer to a mail I've sent to Lees Precision Engineering.

If there's is a need for more quality pistons, he will look into machining a piston with air-brake compatible with the next gen V2 gearboxes.

There's a win in reliability, but sadly not in sound dampening ( would make having a EBB pointless right? :P )

I'll just copy-paste the email. I'm lazy ^^.

" I've been doing a bit of research to try and find out how the stock piston is assembled, from what I can find it appears to be the same way as the old standard Tokyo Marui pistons with the bolt running through the face to a weight in the back with a hooked spring.

If it is that type then I could easily modify an existing aluminium piston head to work with the original weight, this would mean losing the guided AOE adjustment feature though.

The other option would be to use the current design entirely, but to make a custom spacer that fitted between the bushing of the piston head inside of the piston and the spring to space it out to the original weight length.

This would cost extra, but retain the AOE adjustability and allow the use of either aluminium or acetal piston heads.

I'll do some more research and see what I can find about it and also keep an eye on Arnies to see what answers members there come up with.

Thanks, Robert Lees Lees Precision Engineering "

Please, do add info and comments. It'll make R&D easier and will result in a quality product.

Thanks.

Aoe can be adjusted and sound dampening can be achieved by sorbo padding the stock piston head.

True, this adds another option. Which is good, I think in airsoft, we all want options or we all would run around with M4's.

Ohwait...

Seriously, Sorbo breaks down. LPE pistonhead doesn't. So it improves your setup.

True, this adds another option. Which is good, I think in airsoft, we all want options or we all would run around with M4's.

Ohwait...

Seriously, Sorbo breaks down. LPE pistonhead doesn't. So it improves your setup.

Oh wait, the gearbox shell breaks. How much are gearbox shells? How readily available are they locally?

People have tried the air break mods on pistons heads for a few years now. They are simply not practical. You loose too much velocity with them. Even with short shafts on the piston head.

Sorbo pads from ARS are pretty tough. I have yet to break gearbox shells on those and I've been using them on 50+ RPS setups in version 2, 3, and 6 marui gearbox shells.

What do you need better pistons for anyway?

High FPS? Well guess what. Your gearbox will crack faster.

If anything, a 7075 gearbox would help the most. Stock pistons are fairly resilient to 400 FPS setups. For anything higher, Prometheus already came up with a piston and piston head. Stock marui piston heads are very very rarely break. I have seen one break over the 13 years I've been working on marui gearboxes. Piston heads break far less than gearbox shells.

As far as aluminum piston heads, they're good for extreme high FPS setups. Unless you have an aluminum cnc gearbox shell, you'll need sorbo padding. Heck, you will want to have sorbo padding to adjust your AOE anyway as putting spacers on the piston just adds weight to it.

Yes, options are good. They have their pro's and cons and its up to the person getting them to weigh whats worth having and whats not.

Just saying :P

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py

I haven't cracked any of my next gen gearboxes. On two of them, I've installed ars sorbo pads. I do however remember seeing a couple of gearbox shells crack on this thread. Feel free to sift through all the pages if you don't believe me. :P

My gun. Is shooting 393-397 fps now. Sorbo padded of course....with that, an adjusted angle of engagement.

People have tried the air break mods on pistons heads for a few years now. They are simply not practical. You loose too much velocity with them. Even with short shafts on the piston head.

That is a bit of a sweeping generalisation there, airbrakes can be practical when setup well along with other parts. The level of fps loss also varies a lot between setups so to say it's 'too much' is always subjective, add to that different people have a different opinions on how much is acceptable to lose, some people may think a drop of 20fps is fine while others may think a drop of 2fps is completely unacceptable.

If anything, a 7075 gearbox would help the most. Stock pistons are fairly resilient to 400 FPS setups. For anything higher, Prometheus already came up with a piston and piston head. Stock marui piston heads are very very rarely break. I have seen one break over the 13 years I've been working on marui gearboxes. Piston heads break far less than gearbox shells.

Just incase there has been confusion there are no plans for fully machined gearbox shells on the cards, the original question was in reference to producing either a piston head for the new Gen 2 gearboxes or modifying one of my existing ones to be compatible. While I agree stock TM piston heads are excellent the issue can come when you want to change spring and have to remove it to get the spring out due to the hooked design which if not done carefully can lead to it being damaged.

Prometheus do a piston head, but in terms of UK (and to an extent within the EU) prices against the price of my highest price piston heads they are considerably more expensive, an adapted one could still be a noticable amount cheaper and doesn't have to be an airbrake version, I already had plans to do a limited run of non-airbrake piston heads for those who are only interested in the AOE adjustment feature.

As far as aluminum piston heads, they're good for extreme high FPS setups. Unless you have an aluminum cnc gearbox shell, you'll need sorbo padding. Heck, you will want to have sorbo padding to adjust your AOE anyway as putting spacers on the piston just adds weight to it.

Any adapted piston head would be available in Acetal as well, not just aluminium. I personally favour spacers over sorbo for AOE adjustment for a number of reasons, the main one being that sorbothane is a compressable material, to adjust the AOE accurately you need to put it under load and quite often you'll need different thicnkesses to be able to get the right adjustment, there is also the issue of sticking it on properly, get it wrong and it could come off and result in damage to other parts.

My piston heads were designed with simple long term and repeated adjustability in mind, yes adding spacers on will add some weight but the ones that are made to go with the piston heads weigh very little as they are made from light weight plastics. You don't need to put the piston head under load when setting the AOE, you can mix the thicknesses around to get a very accurate adjustment and they don't compress under use or wear out, also if you change the piston or cylinder head at any point you can use the same spacers to just reset it as needed. The tiny amount of weight added by any spacers is negated by the fact my piston heads were designed to be lighter than your average aftermarket piston head.

As it is Richard Y has been very helpfull with the information I was after and it would appear possible to produce a much cheaper but still very high quality alternative to the Prometheus in a very limited quantity if there is some demand.

Edited by Rob15
  • Like 1

Um. I haven't heard of a new V2 gearbox cracking actually. But ok, you made your point.

Since no'one else seems interested, I guess we can shelve the project. :(

mine got cracked

gearbox.jpg

it was happened few months ago. good thing is echigoya has some replacement gearbox for marui m4 sopmod

Edited by zaimon

Hey all,

Well I've joined the club and ordered a TM SOPMOD. Although everywhere was out of stock, so its coming from Japan! (Damn 2 week wait!)

I've read a ton of info about the gun, and just wanted to get some user opinions quickly. Basically, as a new rifle, I'd like to spend some extra on it, and get that bit of extra performance out of it. But my questions basically come down to, do I actually need these upgrades? Or should a simple spring upgrade be fine out of the box?

Can I get the performance/build quality as good as a PTW?

So far my shopping list includes:

• Eagle6 M100 Spring For Recoil Shock AEG's
  • Eagle6 Recoil Shock Upgrade Spring For TM sopmod M4
  • HornBill Recoil Shock AEG Gearset
  • Prometheus 6mm Bearings
  • Prometheus Hard Piston For Sopmod M4
  • Prometheus Piston Head for New Ver 2 / Sopmod M4
  • Prometheus EG Barrel 6.03 (363mm)

At the end of the day, I wanna get this baby performing as good as she can (without spending stupid amounts), but also don't want to be doing unnecessary work. Any opinions on the above upgrades? Anything vital missing?

Thanks for any advice!

Yeah? My thinking is that, if I get it done straight away (I have an engineer at my local site that will do the work), I shouldn't have to worry about opening it up again, just the occasional clean..

Plus I've read some stories of the TM gears not being so durable/piston wear etc, that I'd rather not worry about. Or is that mostly long term use?

(This is intended to be my main rifle, I play various sites 2-3 times a month)