Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

With my gun running a m110 spring, after a few months the teeth on the piston began to show some wear though the gears looked just fine. Definitely get the E6 recoil spring as it just makes it that much more enjoyable to shoot. The piston head is really nice as it increases fps a little and also its ported, so when the piston is being pulled back theres almost no suction. Id also recommended a Prometheus cylinder head and air nozzle since they'll increase fps without affecting reliability. Though you'd then be going into the "I might as well upgrade everything" zone haha.

Overall I'd say your mod list is a great setup for both performance and reliability. Id run a similar setup if I weren't such an upgrade addict who for some reason needs all Prometheus parts haha.

Overall though for a cheap setup that performs well, e6 m100 spring, e6 recoil spring, a barrel and you're good. Then if parts begin to fail, then change them out and put the Prometheus parts.

Edited by akiraspeedstar
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I don't think there's any need to upgrade right out the box at british field limits. The hop-up will ensure you're not being out-ranged purely because of your lower FPS, and you can use the weapon more safely in CQB.

End of the day, it's a TM, it's not going to suddenly fall apart on you after 4 games left in the stock configuration. If anything most people's AEGs go wrong because they changed something, not because they left them alone.

End of the day, it's a TM, it's not going to suddenly fall apart on you after 4 games left in the stock configuration. If anything most people's AEGs go wrong because they changed something, not because they left them alone.

Quite posibly one of the truest things I've read on a forum in a long time ! ;-)

Well I decided to upgrade the stock SOCOM this evening... figured I could do it in 35mins flat!!! boy was I wrong... took 60mins! lol

Out went the stock TM parts and in went 6.03 pommy barrel, pommy aero cylinder head, pommy piston head, pommy piston, pommy cylinder, pommy spring guide and an eagle6 M100.... Shooting about 338-346 fps so happy there......

Managed to blow the fuse though, so have to look at the motor and see if the wires are shorting out somewhere....

Right.. question... how do I get the bloomin recoil end bit off the stock tube... I tried using a steel rule but that knob is screwed on real tight! What have marui done used somesort of super loctitie? I could have sworn the SOPMOD was easy to screw off.... but this SOCOM Ahhhhhhhhhh

Oh another thing, once a mag is empty, the bolt stop works.. gun stops firing as expected.. However, if the mag is taken out and the bolt stop pin is pushed back in the gun fires... is this normal? I can't remember if my SOPMOD did the same or not...

True, true, true.... but half the fun is tinkering..... and then figuring out why the hell it stopped working... :D

On hindsight, I shud have kept my SOPMOD as I tinkered to death with it and the idea was to leave the SOCOM stock.... but now SOPMODLESS, I just could not resist the urge to take the SOCOM apart tonight.....

Right.. question... how do I get the bloomin recoil end bit off the stock tube... I tried using a steel rule but that knob is screwed on real tight! What have marui done used somesort of super loctitie? I could have sworn the SOPMOD was easy to screw off.... but this SOCOM Ahhhhhhhhhh

Oh another thing, once a mag is empty, the bolt stop works.. gun stops firing as expected.. However, if the mag is taken out and the bolt stop pin is pushed back in the gun fires... is this normal? I can't remember if my SOPMOD did the same or not...

I used the nail removing end of a hammer and it fit in there perfectly. Another tool that I used was a small allen wrench that fit in the groove, that also worked very well.

As for the bolt stop, you're talking about pressing in the paddle right? If so then yes, if you remove the magazine and press in the paddle (or disengage the bolt catch system another way) then the gun will fire again.

Alright guys here's my review of the Kobayashi Torque Up Motor from Echigoya.

First off this motor is beautiful, which is unfortunate as you don't see it haha, the finish looks silver on the site, but it's actually closer to a black chrome. The finish and gold plated connector pins are very nice.

motor.jpg

The bearings with this motor are very smooth, for an example with the OEM motor, I'd spin the area that the arrow is pointing to and it would spin and stop very quickly. With the Kobayashi motor it would spin and keep spinning and spinning.

When I installed the motor I noticed that the trigger response seemed to be a bit quicker which is nice and exactly what I was looking for. The best improvement over the OEM? This motor is QUIET! No matter how much I tried to tune the motor plate with the OEM motor I could still hear a whine. With this motor? I can seriously and literally not hear the motor at all. The only noise I hear is the pop from the air escaping the barrel and the sound of the recoil system. I seriously mean that you CAN NOT HEAR THE MOTOR haha. My fiancee heard me firing it before and after and came into the room and said "wow, now it doesn't sound like a toy" haha

I highly recommend this to everyone

Edited by akiraspeedstar

My end cap had plenty red locktite on it. Was a bugger to shift. Used a steel rule and a hammer.

Tried a steel rule but did not work.. and yes this one has loads of red loctite... Even getting the castle nut off was incredible... so much loctite on that too :o

May try an allen key like Akira...hoepfully I have something that does not flex..... :o

Lucky for me my steel rule has a small return lip so its a tiny L shape perfect for engaging the end cap.

I tried allen keys but ones that fitted the grove were too flexible. Talking keys tho, I've had an idea a Yale type door key! The flat edge should fit snug in the groove an they are quite sturdy so you could chap with a hammer.

Alright guys here's my review of the Kobayashi Torque Up Motor from Echigoya.

First off this motor is beautiful, which is unfortunate as you don't see it haha, the finish looks silver on the site, but it's actually closer to a black chrome. The finish and gold plated connector pins are very nice.

motor.jpg

The bearings with this motor are very smooth, for an example with the OEM motor, I'd spin the area that the arrow is pointing to and it would spin and stop very quickly. With the Kobayashi motor it would spin and keep spinning and spinning.

When I installed the motor I noticed that the trigger response seemed to be a bit quicker which is nice and exactly what I was looking for. The best improvement over the OEM? This motor is QUIET! No matter how much I tried to tune the motor plate with the OEM motor I could still hear a whine. With this motor? I can seriously and literally not hear the motor at all. The only noise I hear is the pop from the air escaping the barrel and the sound of the recoil system. I seriously mean that you CAN NOT HEAR THE MOTOR haha. My fiancee heard me firing it before and after and came into the room and said "wow, now it doesn't sound like a toy" haha

I highly recommend this to everyone

What Bevel gear do you have in your AEG? I like quiet. :punk:

Lucky for me my steel rule has a small return lip so its a tiny L shape perfect for engaging the end cap.

I tried allen keys but ones that fitted the grove were too flexible. Talking keys tho, I've had an idea a Yale type door key! The flat edge should fit snug in the groove an they are quite sturdy so you could chap with a hammer.

Yale door key... now there an idea.... I'll give it a go... good thinking TK..

So I've been shooting my SOCOM for a few months now. One thing that happened recently are mis-feedings. Sometimes the Bb would not feed at all or I would have to shoot it five times in semi for it to finally feed and shoot out the BB from the magazine. Any reason why this started happening? Other times it would feed every BB, other times it would feed every other one, and on ocassion it would feed every 3-4 BBs.

Socom has been left pristine stock, no mods done to it. Used good BBs 0.20g and the TM sopmod magazines. Thoughts? Thanks in advance like always

Honzo it's possible you may have some premature wear on the piston teeth or even the main gear. But before you take it apart does it misfire with all your mags? If not then its a mag problem perhaps? Check your mags for feeding problems....Also do you clean your inner barrel regularly?

I suspect there is a gear problem as the gun may not be recycling fully. The easy fix is to take the gear box apart check all your gears and piston teeth and also check that the Tappet plate is not bent or worn away. If it looks fine then put it all back together and make sure the sector gear is seated In the 1pm position.

Edited by TK4235

Honzo, it's easy to take apart, more so than a conventional AEG as the spring is not under tension. There is a super eagle6 takedown video online. I followed that video the first time I took my sopmod apart. You will need the right tools though, a sopmod spanner and a torx screwdriver a T10 I do believe and some Philips.

Edited by TK4235