Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I have the CQB length outer and it went on to my SOCOM like a dream. At the same time I installed a G&P Troy MRF free-float hand guard and gas block, which also fitted without issues (except for needing the LayLax barrel shims for a solid fit), so I can't comment on whether the original TM RIS unit and sight block will drop straight on.

I still have a pieces to fit to complete my upgrades but I will post photos and my thoughts as soon as I'm done. But I do have to say that Richard/Eagle6 deserves a round of applause for the YouTube tutorials, a real lifesaver for anyone with a SOPMOD.

So, after the new battery cells arrvied, I removed the six screws from the Marui battery packs and opened them. After removing some unneeded plastic stuff and freeing up room for cell number eight I installed the new NIMH 1.600 mAh cells and closed the box. Saturday I tested my SOPMOD and it is awesome! Trigger response is perfect. The ROF rose to a limit I am afraid of the piston. So I ordered a 330 fps spring at eagle6 :) In combination with my Tanio Koba this should be a perfect match.

But onece again I lost the trigger pin...though I had the secured Laylax version and tightend it just before the game. :no:

Bob_Fett Im waiting for a TK twist barrel for my Recce recoil there has been quite a bit of discusion on site about them. How do you find it does it really make a noticable difference I've justy got a bulk order of 0.25 so in combination im hoping for some improved groupings.

Hm... if you want the best for your money... keep it stock. The Marui SOPMOD is so brilliant.....you have to invest a lot of money to get it a little bit better. The cheapest upgrade perhaps is a M100 spring. The twisted barrel is very smooth. But without good BBs it isn´t worth the money... but that´s the "problem" with all tuning barrels ;)

Indeed. TM's AEGs are a very rare breed of guns that can be used strait out of the box and still good enough for most ppls' needs.

I‘ve seen more cases of ppls making the gun worse than stock rather than 'better'. (including myself and my old two piece barrel M4A1 more than 10 yrs back.)

TM's AEGs are a very rare breed of guns that can be used strait out of the box and still good enough for most ppls' needs.

I‘ve seen more cases of ppls making the gun worse than stock rather than 'better'.

Yup true words of wisdom , if only 'some' others would heed them ! Lol

I'm trying to figure out my next ebb and i'm caught between the cqb R and the g36c. Only problem is, they are so similar in price which makes the g36c so unattractive since it seems the better value comes with the cqb R. Did anyone have loose stock tube problems with their cqb R? I had this problem with both of the TM sopmods ive owned but not as much with the TM SOCOM. I've used the AR wrench tool but the sopmod still comes loose.

I Wonder if the CQB R will be the same issue with the mod stock.

I've never had either mine or Fathammer's receiver extension come loose, mine came from TM with a generous helping of loc-tite.

In other news AWS is coming out with a new FET under a new name, Black Talon Concepts and the FET is called the Chimera, it is a hybrid of the AWS Raptor and Extreme-Fire Cheetah/LION 2N design, V2s and V3s are claimed to be 2 weeks from coming out and New V2 boards under way, so hopefully in a few months we have super sexy awesome FETs for our guns.

I must be crazy, I got the Dytac outer but the stock TM barrel nut assembly doesn't fit! The toothed collar portion that is screwed into the barrel won't slide on from either end.... On Ehobby they show it complete and aseembled with the MOE Handguard but no mention of other parts used.

I must be crazy, I got the Dytac outer but the stock TM barrel nut assembly doesn't fit! The toothed collar portion that is screwed into the barrel won't slide on from either end.... On Ehobby they show it complete and aseembled with the MOE Handguard but no mention of other parts used.

Yup it don't fit , used a G&P delta on all mine .

Meglo...

There are two on Yahoo Auctions right now.

I can pick one up for you and EMS it to you if you are willing to PayPal me.

Both are used...

Upper only for 5,000 yen

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m100416723

Upper and lower for 8,000

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f106496340

If we miss these pones I can keep an eye out for others.

PM me if you want to do it. You could also contact me via the ORGA site if you want.

Anyone having an issue with the gearbox getting hung up on the antireversal? Running a trimmed pdi170 with a 7.4 and it's pretty flawless, but twice now the box locked up(totally seperate occourances, 6mo apart. I was shooting full auto, so I dont think it's from short stroking the trigger. I end up taking off the grip and motor and popping the anti reversal, but it's definatly not an ingame fix.

Anyone having an issue with the gearbox getting hung up on the antireversal? Running a trimmed pdi170 with a 7.4 and it's pretty flawless, but twice now the box locked up(totally seperate occourances, 6mo apart. I was shooting full auto, so I dont think it's from short stroking the trigger. I end up taking off the grip and motor and popping the anti reversal, but it's definatly not an ingame fix.

I have a friend who made an anti-reverse release, by drilling a small hole through the receiver to the gearbox, and the anti-reverve latch can be released bu stick in a small screwdriver. Pretty nifty.

Edited by mrezzy

Didn't need shims to get it solid, but now I need a new upper, I was tightening the barrel nut and push through a chunk below the ejection port. Is there ANY way to source a spare like that short of buying an ARMY clone for parts?

Hey Megalomaniac, I have an Upper ARMY clone receiver for sale. Comes with the CQBR length barrel (whole upper) $100 shipped it's yours.

I also have lower receiver and buffer tube + crane stock if anyone else is interest. $150 shipped for entire lower.