Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Cheers mate , 416 has allways been my all time favourite M4 type platform . the top rail 'seems' to be good and secure , I Mil puttied in between the RIS notches and then placed flat head bolts through the bolt holes in to the putty before it set , then once it set popped the rail off epoxyed the top and re-screwed the rail down .

So you "cast" the bolt threads into milli putty? Excellent. From the pics it all looks seemless.

I assume there wasn't much difficulty with the RIS unit?

I am really surprised no companies have produced 416 upper receiver sets for the sopmod/socom especially considering the prevalence in USSF communities to use 416 uppers with colt lowers.

So you "cast" the bolt threads into milli putty? Excellent. From the pics it all looks seemless.

I assume there wasn't much difficulty with the RIS unit?

I am really surprised no companies have produced 416 upper receiver sets for the sopmod/socom especially considering the prevalence in USSF communities to use 416 uppers with colt lowers.

To be honest fitting the ris was the easiest part ! you have a big collar come 'nut' that screws on to the threads of the receiver and the ris fits to that .

I just pressed a long thin sausage of putty in bitween the old and new ris rails , ran a straight edge over it to ruffly level it then dremel and fine sand paper to finish it off before spraying .

Edited by druid799

Alright, so I am wanting to replicate an actual firearm setup onto one of these, would it be feasible to be able to fit an actual AR15 handguard(will the barrel nut fit?) and I would like to have a Magpul CTR stock.

Thanks for any help.

Real barrel nuts won't fit if I remember correctly. The G&P delta ring is a decent upgrade over the weakly sprung TM one. For most hand guards there is an airsoft version.

If you want a CTR stock you'd be best getting the Socom version as it is front wired.

Real barrel nuts won't fit if I remember correctly. The G&P delta ring is a decent upgrade over the weakly sprung TM one. For most hand guards there is an airsoft version.

If you want a CTR stock you'd be best getting the Socom version as it is front wired.

My research may be weak, but I cannot find an Airsoft version of the Noveske NSR.

And I was told that about the SOCOM version.

I do but then im biased :P - Airsoft retail = peoples buy from where every is cheapest and instock.. Cold hard way of the world. But yeah i have the eagle6 springs which i made for the sopmods / all recoils back in the day and i try to keep stock of everything sopmod related. As and when any issues arrive during repairs i try to defo keep stock of those parts and or get in parts to address them. If all else fails ill make a part to address it, like the vsr hop arm i did, players had an issue needed a whole part and in decent supply.

I think everythings mostly stocked at the mo, obviously if theres something from laylax or shs that im not stocking and people want in then just ping me a pm and ill try and get it ordered with the next delivery, anything out of stock should be automatically ordered each new order unless of course its out of stock which far away lands often are since its all done in batch runs.

I dont know about you guys but im kind of hoping tm bring something new out.. i feel like they have been treading water a bit this year and last.. I found my self having some custom grips made just for something to do lol

eagle6grips1.jpg

Im still hoping for an mp5

Well the TM GBB MP7 would suggest new direction for TM so an MP5 could be on the cards... I would love hat, gbb or ebb.

Quick question to keep it on topic.

I remember a lot of chat in the thread about the Laylax lower receiver and that it is not all that good, however I can't seem to find it by searching the topic people's thoughts on it.

Is it any good? I seem to remember it required some modification to fit?

The reason i ask is My stock tube is on its last legs, some of the thread has broken and its very loose in Its old age! So I'm looking at picking Up the ARS stock tube. Figured while I'm at it I would upgrade the lower receiver and grab a SURUS aswell! What with eagle 6s upgrade job on my GB that'll be my socom full tuned up so to speak, the only other upgrade I could apply would be a MOSFET. Still not sure on that, I want one but I've been waiting or the none materialising raptor fet, so havnt bothered looking at anything else.

I would pick up the ARS lower but I don't want the magpul look! Just the plain colt M4.

So any ideas on the Laylax lower?

yeah the laylax lower rocks.. had many go through here. solid! good fitting and also same price as an original lower.., my only issue would be if you wanted original markings.

The one your talking about was the laylax upper but its a bit pricey so ive avoided ordering it so no way to know for sure till i get one.

If your ordering the ARS surus kit order the whole lot. Tube, locking ring, end cap and surus... Its only a little extra and the ars locking ring is a great fit for the ars tube..

Ive actually being toying with the idea of swapping out the ARS recoil spring on my kit for my own one as theres is a bit weak for the weight of the kit imo.. ie we saw a decrease in recoil effect well, i didnt think so but paul did, but thats on my dmr which is single shot only, one might say over kill for a dmr but the idea was for as much recoil as i could get if only being single shot at 450 fps.

As for the mosfets yeah bummer about AWS but technically the guy who designed the raptor is running black talon concepts.. for what ever reason he walked away from the aws brand and everything it created and the raptors and is now making the chimera which is already out and sopmod compatible.

Mostly due to the massive failure rates on the out of box raptors. Ie if yours works thats fine it will stay working but it was 1 in 10 getting returned straight out of the box. Id imagine on a larger scale than i saw it was a lot.

Edited by Richard Y

Didn't know this. Anybody tried it?

I also didn't know this! How compatible is it? Still retain bolt lock?, more info please richard!

The deal on echigoya's for the full ARS stock tube kit and Laylax lower was the one I was looking at, I just had it in my head the lower wasn't great. Looks like I found my next purchase though!

The Laylax vltor upper looks nice but again its not something I'm particularly interested in. I'm a bit of a plain m4 lover!

From you comment about original trades does that mean the Laylax lower doesn't have any trades on it!? I'm ok with that if it's the case!

Yeah that's what's advertised on laylax's site but all the text is in Japanese or similar and I wasn't sure if they were ltd editions or something, especially given the current licensing climate with RS makers.

Also echigoya only has pics of the bushmaster logo receiver, not interested in that and in all honesty would prefer either a colt traded lower or no trades.

Will email them to find out if they have options.

Edited by Number5

Ill be honest im still reeling from the fall out of the AWS stuffs and there still poor communication with dealers and customers. They are ok while they are there but a few days in the month isnt enough. Its simply not as simple as selling a piston, you sell a fet someone installs it with the battery connectors round the wrong way they say it failed out of the box.. which is true technically.. im then stuck in the middle with aws basically ignoring peeps.

Any way i digress ,from a product point of view i explained what we needed to frank at aws, and now btc. i explained about the propietary battery system which it seems as though he was sent a socom m4 for testing by echigoya. So hes made the chimera and theres no way in hell it will fit in a sopmod unless the sopmod is front wired...

So i guess theres a solution for half of us.

On paper the concept behind the new chimera is moving away from the raptor design, aws states it simply isnt user friendly and cannot handle the power of the chimera. Personally as stated i found a working raptor to be forever working.. the problem for me was the out of box failures, ie it arriving without any programming on it.. i mean thats not a design problem imo... Which is personally why i think there was more to the move.

The chimera is basically a combination of the cheetahs power handling and the raptor trigger board with just a switch.. which is basically just the acsu.. so i ask my self why shouldnt i just get an acsu and switch to trying to get acsu to make theres sopmod compatible. The whole attractive concept and why i backed them was that they where taking the big step of making compact internal fets for ALL aegs. It was a worthy goal which seems to have gotten lost ..

So yes the chimeras out in a basic form, in beta i believe with testers. Yes i try to stock all that is sopmod, but no im not gunna stock these.

Personally theres too much fixation on powerhandling and wierd features.. these are all still heavierly reliant on programming for timing control, from a technical point of view the optically timed ptw ecu is still the best out there... and untill theres a solution which uses something similar for sensing nothing will come close imo. Which is why these things struggle so much when people start driftting from the originally design on setup ie more amps more voltage, gearbox incompatibilitys.

Man if i could find any decent board makers in the uk id be on it like a fly on *suitcase*..

Does anyone know where I can source a stock upper receiver if they're even available? I'd imagine it would be tough, so I'm leaning towards the Laylax upper by default.

A couple of questions for anyone who has used a Laylax upper.

First, could anyone tell me if the Laylax upper receiver will directly onto a stock marui lower, or will it only fit the Laylax lower?

Next, if I want to use a free float RIS like a Daniel Defense MK18, or Vtac Alpha rail do I need a spacer like this one http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=353 with the outer barrel, or would a Dytac outer barrel fit fine without it? On a Sopmod upper, my friend needed the spacer when he built a Mk18 to properly secure the outer barrel and eliminate wobble.

Theres no conventional commercially available wrench that will remove the DD Lite RIS from my Recce thanks to the magical giant barrel nut Marui used to secure it so I'm forced to source a new upper.

Thanks in advanced, best place I've seen to find EBB info!

Edited by lacanuck24

Does anyone know where I can source a stock upper receiver if they're even available? I'd imagine it would be tough, so I'm leaning towards the Laylax upper by default.

A couple of questions for anyone who has used a Laylax upper.

First, could anyone tell me if the Laylax upper receiver will directly onto a stock marui lower, or will it only fit the Laylax lower?

Next, if I want to use a free float RIS like a Daniel Defense MK18, or Vtac Alpha rail do I need a spacer like this one http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=353 with the outer barrel, or would a Dytac outer barrel fit fine without it? On a Sopmod upper, my friend needed the spacer when he built a Mk18 to properly secure the outer barrel and eliminate wobble.

Theres no conventional commercially available wrench that will remove the DD Lite RIS from my Recce thanks to the magical giant barrel nut Marui used to secure it so I'm forced to source a new upper.

Thanks in advanced, best place I've seen to find EBB info!

Monkey wrench and a rag if all else fails but im pretty sure weve had them apart in the workshop before.. but if your in japan, you can order one via the order form in the back of your parts manual, simply enter the part number you want from the parts break down and fax to TM.

Edit... not from japan lol my bad.. try echigoya in japan they can source most original tm stuff given enough time.

Mad bull do some DD ris wrenchs.. since the ris for the recce is custom but still madbull licensed theres a chance one of them will fit.

You dont NEED the barrel supports what they are is extra support should there be excess flex, ie leaned on, pulled, or fell on. It strengthens it greatly.. the washers though from laylax are handy for padding out any excess space when fitting a ris. But the most benifical thing is a wrench tool and that goes for standard and aftermarket front ends.. anyone complaining about barrel wobble or flex that doesnt have a wrench for maintainance needs to stfu... :)

Personally if i was getting the laylax upper id also get the lower but theres simply not enough info yet on the upper to comment more, not enough people have brought it.

Edited by Richard Y

hi just brought a ospmod with every upgrade part in but the last owner has fitted a shs piston, do think this would cause it not to work.

I havent had any compatibility issues with that piston, its a good cheap alternative currently, same one as the hornbill.

If your guns got an issue currently id whip it apart and see if anything jumps out at you.