Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Was speaking to Danny at seigetek I wanted to try and stock his whole range. Only reason I haven't untill now is his first batch had cut off issues so you had to mod them also they had a normal aeg timing lobe for the tappet plate. But he's sorted both and he's now got new 27 ratio high torque gears in to go with the others which where 20 just above normal. Anyway I ordered them and I'll try and price them same as promy, giving everyone now a choice of 4 gearsets at the "high end". As low as I can given that there is a msrp and certain rules to being a dealer.

Promy also not without there issues early sets had problems with the top halfs not aligning in the sector gear so you'd have to file and also the bevel gear breaking and separating in two halfs. All of which until the Sopmod promy gearsets I had never heard of promy gears breaking so I can only put it Down to a bad batch.

Both gearsets from both manufactures though seem to have gotten on top of there issues. Although I'm a big fan of promy after all they have brought us such a massive choice and variety to the Sopmod platform well before others, the seigeteks have built an impressive rep so it will be interesting to see which brand people go for.

The front sight is fixed by a screw that goes in the outer barrel. You need to take the inner barrel / hop out then look for for a hole under the front sight. You will not see the screw since its deep in the other side then you're looking at, but it's there :)

As for the barrel nut, first you do take the sprocket cover (fake delta ring) out by removing its fixing screw... then you use either the madbull barrel nut wrench or maybe a stock tube nut wrench to remove the shiny nut underneath.

Hope this makes sense!

gallery_71826_2028_72035.jpg

gallery_71826_2028_23941.jpg

Recce with a Laylax upper. Stock Recce upper is in the closet waiting for CQB usage

Laylax upper is nice, only wish they sold a traditional m4 design. Downside is it doesn't come with a dust cover or forward assist. Gutted the needed parts from my Recce, but FA doesn't lock in dust cover won't stay closed. The search for replacement parts begins so I can make my Recce upper whole again.

Was a beast in the woods today, I strongly support the advice of chopping out the marui connectors and wiring direct for deans!

Edited by lacanuck24

I strongly support the advice of chopping out the marui connectors and wiring direct for deans!

Totally agree matey , defo' the way to go , done both of mine , can get a whole wknd out of one 2600 25c shared by them both .

Oh and very sweet GATT btw !

Edited by druid799

Two questions, what parts do I need to convert a SOCOM to a CQBR/SOPMOD rear wired setup? And for those running wires in the rear where have you tucked or hidden your MOSFETs?

i dont think any one has done the mosfets for rear wire.. going forward and backward takes up too much space and in the back theres very little stock space. I didnt it once on a full stocked m16 conversion but that was full stock so loads of room.

poor pic quality but mirlock got one into the back of the sopmod grip, obviously yes youll need a certain sized mosfet for this.. some say the small AEP sized ones simply cant handle the current but then they said that about the raptor fets.. truth is given enough abuse and heat and fet will fail. I reckon it could be done just a mater of making your own fet rather than relying on pre mades.

33en1bo.jpg

Edited by Richard Y