Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Honzo , funnily enuf on longer game days I sometimes carry 6 mids and a hi-cap (just in case) and go for in field re-loads , have to say only needed the hi once but it's there if needed and its worked out nicely , so I'd say go down that road , (and grow some muscles , He he ! )

Jeronimo ; stick a pair of male/female mini spade connectors on a cm or so behind the Deans so you can remove it to take the receiver off .

Edited by druid799

You could try threading one of the unused holes in the bottom of the gearbox instead. Thats how mine ended up, got 3 screws holding the grip on now after stripping one of them.

Managed to get an army clone off a different forum now, stripped it down to replace the lower body i broke. Got to build a second upper as well. So i'm showing off everywhere now :D

sam05832.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just ran into a huge problem. I have one battery for my TM SOPMOD and it isnt taking a charge at all anymore. I put it into my gun and then it dies. I leave for a game in just under 2hrs. I know that some people have modded the guns to take regular battery packs, can anyone help me out with how to do that? Ive searched a bit but have come up empty handed.

All help is appreciated!

Hey guys, I just ran into a huge problem. I have one battery for my TM SOPMOD and it isnt taking a charge at all anymore. I put it into my gun and then it dies. I leave for a game in just under 2hrs. I know that some people have modded the guns to take regular battery packs, can anyone help me out with how to do that? Ive searched a bit but have come up empty handed.

All help is appreciated!

I think you meant this:

http://eagle6.co.uk/beta/reviews/how-to-guides/how-to-make-a-lipo-quick-change-battery-for-the-tm-sopmod-m4-with-recoil/

Out of interest, did ANYONE come up with a good solution for fitting a MOSFET to rear-wired SOPMODs? I'm upgrading mine, and thought I would start with the electrics of the gun (i.e., ditching the stock NiMHs, rewiring with a thicker gauge of wire and Deans connectors, switching to LiPo/LiFes, and fitting a MOSFET). I've seen a MOSFET that replaces the trigger contacts outright, which negates the need to start trying to fit the damned thing in the stock.

Any ideas?

@ Richard Y: I just read about your mosfet project a few pages back. Hopefully there will be one soon, I've been waiting for one for ages now ^^ Though I have to say, for me one of the most promising features of the Raptor and now Chimera was the ROF adjustment. More specific, a ROF control that is not based on turning down the motor speed altogether, but one that is just adding pauses between the shots while maintaing full speed for each shot. That would give me the ability to use 11.1 V LiPo batteries for the fastest possible response time and still have a realistic ROF that does not kill my piston within a few hundred shots.

But maybe there is something wrong with my Socom, as I seem to have problems with all my batteries below 11.1 V. I have different 9.9 V Flame/Firefox-, as well as original 9.9 V A123 LiFePO4 batteries (1100 mAh) and all of them seem to produce a low ROF and get empty rather quick. I use Siegetek standard ratio gears, a Systema Magnum and your 400 fps spring. Is my setup too power hungry? Are the C-ratings (15C and 20C) of my batteries too low? For the time beeing I'm just using semi only on my 11.1 LiPo. It's just odd, because I feel it performed much better with my original (now broken) gears and 9.9 V A123 battery. But can it really be the gears? They supposedly have even slightly more torque, so that can't be the problem I guess. Are they too heavy?

And my pistons die much faster now on fullauto (11 V) than before, thats why I'm using semi for now.

Regarding the piston, is the Prometheus piston significantly stronger? Maybe you can share your experience with your DMR? My last original piston was shredded within less than a magazine (11 V, fullauto). I once tried a red Systema V2 (looks the same, just without the top notch) which went fubar even faster ^^

And maybe some more specific experiences regarding the ARS recoil system? I'm thinking about that as well, as my stocktube won't survive that many more takedowns. On the other hand I might not want to add even more stress with higher recoil, given the issues I already have with batteries and pistons. (I also ditched your recoil spring, which was awesome, but I had the feeling it killed my first piston and original gears. I'll try it out again when I figured out the other issues ^^)

Sorry for the wall of text, I just had to put it out there ^^ Any kind of help or info is welcome though.

Edited by Lord Vader

It looks like the MOSFET I was originally looking at was the AWS Stealth. Since AWS went under apparently before releasing the NexGen variant of this 'FET, am I to understand that NO-ONE makes a drop-in MOSFET for the SOPMOD?

For God's sake, it's not like TM has sold tens of thousands of these things or anything...

I have the plug adaptor that has a deans connector on it it was the one from Eagle 6, does anyone know of a lipo that fits in the original crane stock, doesnt matter if its not a massive Mah as i can keep a spare in the other side of the stock but the slow charge TM ones are too expensive and take an age to charge. Any linkies to a lipo that fits would be awesome sauce.

Cheers

Thats the one, and its not the length its the width ( thats what she said etc :D ) thats the issue, every lipo ive seen so far on site is too wide for the slot ( inuendo circuits in overdrive lol ) , i'm new to Lipo's i've managed to resist so far but with 2 recoils needing 3 ( ok maybe 2 each and a 3rd spare for both) batteries for each one, it'd get real expensive real quick and having to slow charge them all you'd need to start thinking about charging batteries about 5 days before a game!!

Thanks for the help

Thats the one, and its not the length its the width ( thats what she said etc :D ) thats the issue, every lipo ive seen so far on site is too wide for the slot ( inuendo circuits in overdrive lol ) , i'm new to Lipo's i've managed to resist so far but with 2 recoils needing 3 ( ok maybe 2 each and a 3rd spare for both) batteries for each one, it'd get real expensive real quick and having to slow charge them all you'd need to start thinking about charging batteries about 5 days before a game!!

Thanks for the help

When I ran this set up in mine a 800 from componant shop was the biggest I could fit in it with adaptor , one thing I did find though was once I stuck an eagle6 spring in it which took it up to 330'ish it was fine on sigle but sluggish as hell on full auto .

Since then I've stripped the whole lot out fitted a deans instead and run both my sopmods on 2400 cranstocks and there a LOT happier !

Edited by druid799