Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Thats the one, and its not the length its the width

When I ran this set up in mine a 800 from componant shop was the biggest I could fit in it with adaptor , one thing I did find though was once I stuck an eagle6 spring in it which took it up to 330'ish it was fine on sigle but sluggish as hell on full auto.

Have either of you tried to get Vapex's Crane Stock batteries into the standard stock? I'm not worried about the length - just the width.

Edited by PureSilver
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Thanks for that, that's useful. I like some of the ideas more than others - the PPTCs are an interesting solution to overcurrent protection, being very small, resettable, and of similar operating resistance to something like a standard APS fuse, which is what I was going to use. Does anyone know what the current draw of a standard SOPMOD is? I might have to get my multimeter out for the first time in a decade.

Have either of you tried to get Vapex's Crane Stock batteries into the standard stock? I'm not worried about the length - just the width.

Nope sorry , I only use componant shop Batts so was thinking if you check the dimensions on there site mite be of use to you , also the biggest Batt I've got in mine was a 7.4v 2400 in it .

Edited by druid799

Druid are these the ones http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/vp20c2s800as.html and they fit in the normal TM crane stock? if you answer in the affirmative thatll be an order for 4 and a Lipo charger, looks like i could have just decided on part of my christmas present lol

Cheers for the help guys :D

Edited by Pdubyuh

Pdubyuh, I think the 'V' in 'VP Racing' stands for 'Vapex'. If that VP Racing battery fits in the standard TM stock, then Vapex's dedicated Crane stock batteries should too. That's good, because it's Vapex's Crane Stock battery (specifically, their 7.4v 1450mAh) that I'm thinking about buying. I'll have a definitive answer on whether Vapex's batteries fit in the stock on Friday, because me and the SOPMOD have got a date at Pro Airsoft Supplies.

It'll be excellent if they do fit, because Vapex make 11.1v LiPos in much the same size, which supports my future desire for a Kobayashi Torque-Up and Prometheus Double-Torque gear set-up in the distant future.

Druid are these the ones http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/vp20c2s800as.html and they fit in the normal TM crane stock? if you answer in the affirmative thatll be an order for 4 and a Lipo charger, looks like i could have just decided on part of my christmas present lol

Cheers for the help guys :D

Yup that be the one !

• Like 1

That's useful! If the 800mAh fits, and the Hot Power fits (and it's 135mm long!), then:

800mAh (1x) = 102.6 x 18.6 x 12.8 (Cross-sectional area 2.38cm2)

3000mAh (2x) = 135 x 18.5 dia. (CSA 2.69cm2)

That makes the biggest single-tube battery likely to fit the 1450mAh (1x) = 129 x 22 x 12 (CSA 2.64cm2)

The biggest double-tube battery likely to fit is one of:

1300mAh (2x) = 104.4 x 20 x 6.9 (CSA 1.38cm2)

1450mAh (2x) = 129 x 22 x 6 (CSA 1.32cm2)

2200mAh (2x) = 101 x 19.8 x 12.3 (CSA 2.44cm2)

The best probable outcome is the 2600mAh (2x) = 105 x 22 x 12 (CSA 2.64cm2)

I'll see which of these PAS stocks, and let you know what fits.

Edited by PureSilver

I'm going to end up buying two of those, druid799. According to PAS the 2600mAh is prone to uneven discharging of the cells, rapidly killing the pack (they noted something like a 25% return rate) so they don't stock them any more. Hopefully I'll be able to use the excess depth in the stock to fit an inline fuse to replace the original (20A, right?).

Regarding the chimera mosfet, I noticed that it doesn't even have the adaptive rof control like the raptor had, just the pwm one, which is a bummer. But even more importantly, with the size of an AA battery it is not going to fit anywhere in a Sopmod/Socom. I have a Socom with the Madbull DD MK18 RIS and a heavily modified outer barrel (I made it much thinner to make more room for a tri-pannel lipo), but there is still not enough room for a mosfet this size. As the data cables won't fit under the stock tube in a rear wired Sopmod and as I doubt that other rail systems will have much more space, I wonder what would even be the point of a new gen 2 version of the chimera, if it can't be fitted anywhere.

So it is definitely up to you, Richard ^^

And another question: Do real steel sling swivels happen to fit onto the stocktube? Dremeling the GBB ones is just so annoying...

Also if anyone is interested to buy a set of balanced Siegetek gears (used obviously, but not much), pm me, I'm thinking about switching to the torque up version for my 400 fps setup.

My plan for my SOPMOD(I have an Army clone so it will be forward wired) is to put all the wires and battery in a PEQ2 or PEQ16. Plenty of space in there for the Chimera and a buffer tube 11.1's I have. You could probably(if you have a PEQ15 on yours) is wire to the PEQ15 and store the FET there and then send wires into the rail to attach to your battery.

That means front-wiring the gun, which is fine if you have a SOCOM (which was originally wired that way) but it's a pain in the *albartroth* for SOPMODs and it's much harder to upgrade the stock wiring if you have to thread it around the gearbox. Not to mention, the wiring can be unsightly. What we need is a NexGen version of a drop-in MOSFET that replaced the trigger contacts - i.e., the NexGen Stealth that AWS was supposed to release about two years ago. The 'FET's in the body, so it isn't in the way of the recoil mechanism, and it incorporates the high-end features that buyers of expensive guns like...

Indeed.

I don't really like the Peq2 and Peq16 boxes, I think the Peq15 is big enough already, though that would be an option of course. Having the tri-panel lipo in the RIS and use the Peq15 box just for the chimera, well, I thought about that, but if I have to use a Peq box at all, at least I would like to keep its only advantage, which is beeing able to change the battery quick and easy.

[RANT]The AN/PEQ-2's almost unbelievably huge and ugly - in my opinion, probably the ugliest firearm accessory popular in airsoft - and it's mostly pointless for airsoft too, because 99% of airsofters don't own NVG and 100% of airsofters don't have an air force to designate targets for. I'm not a fan of the PEQ-16 either; the PEQ-15's a bit more reasonable, but either way with these things where they should be on the gun they make it a bit front-heavy.[/RANT]

From what I can tell, the airsoft devices known as MOSFETs (that is, the whole assembly rather than just the actual transistor) are quite simple. My limited experience in electronics tells me that there are digital design tools for circuit boards, which you can have printed out professionally quite cheaply (especially if you get more than one made). The components involved are quite cheap; I might ask some of my electrical engineer friends for pointers, since it doesn't seem like any of the established companies are interested. What features would the ideal NexGen MOSFET have?

Quite like my PEQ-2 , I've fitted a working laser to it and I can fit a mahoosive lipo in it which a mate bought in error and won't fit in any of our guns (which comes in very useful with the recoil and rate of fire on my upgraded guns) . For me no noticeable effect on the balance , but then again I'm a big lump so I don't normally get effected by the weight of any of my guns , i'll run a 249 all day no probs . Suppose comes down to play style aswell though , I'm more of the 'bull in a china shop' style , low attention span so get bored with 'sneaky sneaky' ! ;-)

Fellas, I have a friend who needs help fixing his sopmod. He provided a video and wasn't sure what's wrong with it. Looks to me like the motor need some height adjustment? how come the other side seems jammed? He bought it used this way from another buyer. Is it an easy fix ?

There's nothing wrong with it. It only happens when shooting on full auto and the gearbox doesn't do a complete cycle. Just try firing again in full auto and you will see that after that it will work perfectly on semi (and also that little piece of metal sheet he calls a bolt will be properly aligned).

This problem seem to appear more often when the battery is almost empty.

• Like 1

Not tried a G&P but I've tried both a classic army standard crane and a jing gong 417 on mine . the classic was tight as hell but the JG slides really easily , I had to really push and pull the classic quite forcefully to get it to slide on the stock tube . Sorry not the exact answer your looking for but at least i can say some other makes work ok ?

There's nothing wrong with it. It only happens when shooting on full auto and the gearbox doesn't do a complete cycle. Just try firing again in full auto and you will see that after that it will work perfectly on semi (and also that little piece of metal sheet he calls a bolt will be properly aligned).

This problem seem to appear more often when the battery is almost empty.

Thanks for the response. He's sending it to me and i should receive it within a few days. I hope it's as easy as that! he cant try out the full auto switch since he already packed it in a box lol. I'll update here!

Not tried a G&P but I've tried both a classic army standard crane and a jing gong 417 on mine . the classic was tight as hell but the JG slides really easily , I had to really push and pull the classic quite forcefully to get it to slide on the stock tube . Sorry not the exact answer your looking for but at least i can say some other makes work ok ?

You were still able to run batteries in the stock, right?