Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

looking at investing in a SOPMOD.

However I dont like the stock externals.

Any idea if the following will fit? I only ask as not many people seem to have tinkered with the externals of their SOPMODS.

Magpul pistol grip

CTR stock (should I front wire it)

Any other RIS system? specifically Madbull model RIS's like the DD or Troy styles

Arnie

If you want to change the externals then I'd say buy a socom it's cheaper and already front wired.

The ctr stock slips straight on. The Moe/Miad grips fit with either a modified base plate or the metal base plate you can get.

Madbull DD rails / lite rails / troy rails all go on. The lite rail is a good option as a two part lipo will fit inside either side of the barrel.

imgp4198.jpg

This is my old Socom from before I sold the upper. You can see the Madbull RIS II and the CTR stock. Buddy that bought the upper also had a MIAD grip installed (but used a separate metal grip end).

I also tried a King Arms Larue rail (works very well) and the VFC URX 2 - also works, its on my current carbine but I don't have pics of it.

i would love to see a pic of it if that isnt too much trouble ! but if not, thats ok

The only things I can find quickly

from this years Berget, the extreme left and extreme right are Socoms. The one on the right is mine in the hands of a buddy of mine, with a 203 added for IR BAVS grenade purposes:

7552770526_159d84b6d2_b.jpg

hires might work here: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7271/7552770526_a5f8e04af0_k_d.jpg

Also here https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111184183929033612901/albums/5759165422996708865/5759166095820579026

Customization-wise I mounted a laylax 10.5" barrel plus a madbul 2" barrel extension + some clone of KAC triple tap muzzle brake. Externally this leads to a 12.5" barrel (the 10.5" is a little short for the URX II). Internally, however, its got a regular M4 - 363mm inner barrel :) with some room to spare, 'cause unlike the regular non EBB M4s the inner barrel sits further back in the Sopmod line.

The original Magpul CTR Milspec stock does also fit perfectly. I had the G&P URX II RIS installed on my Socom earlier and it did fit, although I found it became loose rather easily. I don't know if that was due to the G&P threads beeing slightly wider or because of the recoil, but mounting my Eotech on top of the gap fixed this issue completely, as that prevented the rail from rotating. Now I use the Madbull Mk18 RIS but I would recommend some barrel bushings, as the way the barrel nut ring holds down both the barrel and the rail at the same time, exact shimming is necessary to prevent either part from wobbling. I also use the Magpul PTS MIAD grip and like stated, it requires a part of the baseplate thread to be dremled out. I find this only to be necessary with my Systema Magnum motor though, as that one has a wider nub at the bottom. Now I use the metal base plate, which does not need modification and is better anyway.

elan, thanks for the picture! I'm set on buying the URX for my sopmod now.

@Vader: Have you tried the VFC urx? Since elan said there wasnt too much problem with his, i suppose i should stick with the VFC URX and steer clear of the G&P urx? I know both have made their own version of the knights sr15, which is why i want the URX rail. I'm not looking into making the whole receiver ambi though lol

You have to use "the tool" cause otherwise - hand tightening the rail against the nut - its very hard to the rail tightened and aligned at the same time. In that sense I found the Larue style rail and the Daniel Defense clones much easier to mount as they only require a regular castle nut wrench, which is much smaller / cheaper / generally available. IIRC - not sure about the URX - all will require some sort of washers for the barrel nut to fix the barrel properly.

One more pic I could find of my rifle, this time in the regular configuration, no 203 but also no flip to side magnifier.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_ZfQFVFmtoE/T5Q8194X_FI/AAAAAAAAHuE/O4ZkcNn7DGM/s1866/DSC_4483.JPG

Thats the AFG-2 mounted slightly forward of the lower rail limit since I'm a big guy - bigger than the one in the picture and I have very long hands. The rear sight is Troy style, for reference. Regular pistol grip but also Magpul trigger guard which IMO is a must for one handed manipulations.

My SOCOM with eMOD stock (King Arms), MIAD with metal base plate and Troy TRX front end (Madbull).

Troy front end was very easy to fit. Needs the custom delta ring included with the package, but it's simple to screw on. Everything else just drops right on. Seriously thinking about rear-wiring the whole thing though…

post-285-0-94810400-1354958875_thumb.jpg

Edited by SixtyNiner

Apologies for the shameless bump but since nobody is interested in purchasing my socom and it is sitting in my room doing nothing I am going to sell it in parts, would there be anyone interested? If so, I will make a sales topic in a few days.

Since the upgraded internal parts I only have shot about 300-400 bb's with it so they are still in excellend condition.

These are most of the parts:

Magpul PTS MOE stock

Magpul PTS MOE extended rubber butt-pad

Airsoft Research Syndicate "Magpul" ASAP sling swivel

Magpul PTS MOE grip

Magpul PTS trigger guard

Madbull MK18 RIS II

Magpul PTS AFG 2

First Factory/Laylax short outer barrel

G&P KAC flashhider

Eagle6 M100 spring

Eagle6 recoil spring

Prometheus 6.03 precision barrel

Prometheus nozzle

Prometheus selector plate

Prometheus spring guide

Prometheus piston head

Prometheus cylinder head

Promtheus torque gear set

Magic Box piston

Lonex enhanced anti-reversal latch

Original piston

Original gears

Original handguard

Original stock

Original grip

Original nozzle

Original selector plate

Edit; and offcourse also the gearbox shell, blowback weight, the mechanism, upper and lower receiver etc ...

Edited by Kunlun

You have to use "the tool" cause otherwise - hand tightening the rail against the nut - its very hard to the rail tightened and aligned at the same time. In that sense I found the Larue style rail and the Daniel Defense clones much easier to mount as they only require a regular castle nut wrench, which is much smaller / cheaper / generally available. IIRC - not sure about the URX - all will require some sort of washers for the barrel nut to fix the barrel properly.

One more pic I could find of my rifle, this time in the regular configuration, no 203 but also no flip to side magnifier.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_ZfQFVFmtoE/T5Q8194X_FI/AAAAAAAAHuE/O4ZkcNn7DGM/s1866/DSC_4483.JPG

Thats the AFG-2 mounted slightly forward of the lower rail limit since I'm a big guy - bigger than the one in the picture and I have very long hands. The rear sight is Troy style, for reference. Regular pistol grip but also Magpul trigger guard which IMO is a must for one handed manipulations.

Can i do it using the method this guy does?

@Honzo: I have not tried the VFC one, so I can't compare them. But I did use the G&P URX tools for the installation. The way shown in the video will work, but I doubt that it will sit as tight and especially as straight that way. The URX tools also include a rail clamp to ensure that the rail is not slightly shifted. Furthermore you have to watch out that the rails stays exactly parallel to the barrel, which seems much more difficult when you tighten it by shifting the rail instead of screwing the inner ring. Regarding the barrel shims, they are not necessary at all, as with the URX system the barrel and rail are held by two independent barrel nut rings.

Here is a picture of mine:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8126/dscn4166k.jpg

And its current state with the Madbull rail (which I already postet I think):

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9379/dscn4639m.jpg

I still have the URX rail and tools and would sell it, if you are interested. You can PM me for details.

Another question: Are the Army Sopmod clone receiver and stocktube parts compatible with the TM? Would you recommend to buy one for cheap spare parts? (A friend needs a new lower receiver, stock tube and anti reversal latch.)

@Honzo - I've tried that method a little bit since I had to wait quite a while for my URX tool after uncompany messing up my order.

I'd say its possible but hard to get perfect results by that method and I wouldn't really trust them in a recoil weapon ;)

Hey guys so Ive got a bit of a problem. I was packing up my TM SOPMOD to ship out (had to sell it :( ) and the entire upper receiver slid off the gun (apparently my front body pin got lost). Well typically this wouldnt be a problem except for the fact that somehow the springs came out that hold the entire blowback assembly together came out. So now Im stuck with the upper and the lower in tact, but the charging handle and entire blowback assembly is in pieces and sitting on my desk. Ive been looking for videos and such on how to piece it back together but my search has turned up empty. Anyone have any guides or what not on how to get it all back together and working? Im pretty retarded with this stuff and am freaking out a bit. Im supposed to ship this off tomorrow but have a gun thats in pieces...

Any help is appreciated as always!