Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

@Pure Silver, the MOSFET prevents you from burning up the stock trigger contacts by reducing them to just a signal wire, not power transfer.

@Berrgy, the stock TM EG1000 use regular Ceramic/Ferrite Magnets which are comparably weaker than the Neodymium Magnets, when you fit the good quality TM armature (the part that spins) with good powerful magnets you get a very strong motor. Basically the idea is that you remove the pinion, remove the end-bell (blue plastic cap), slide the TM armature out, I then lock it in a drill chuck and clean up the commutator with 800 grit sand paper and then a standard eraser. Next you do the same with the China motor with good magnets but this time you just bin the armature, then you re-assemble the motor with the TM armature inside the China Motor can, I then just used one cell from an old Li-Po to break the motor brushes in by letting it spin free until the battery started to trail off.

Basically the stronger magnets make the motor stronger and the bearings in the China Can and End-Bell reduce noise and increase speed a little bit.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

@Pure Silver, the MOSFET prevents you from burning up the stock trigger contacts by reducing them to just a signal wire, not power transfer.

I'm familiar with the operation of MOSFETs.  :P

The point is that drop-ins like the Stealth completely replace the archaic stock trigger contacts, which is a step in the right direction, and allow you:

• Electrical safeguards - short-circuit, under/over-voltage protection and warning - which otherwise require additional bits of circuitry jammed into the already cramped SOPMOD.
  • PWM control of ROF, which can include full-auto lockout for DMRs. If custom programming of this is permitted I can work on having an instantaneous trigger response without ending up with a silly ROF, too.

There's so much that a computerized fire control system can do, and it's a logical fit for the NexGen v.2 because they're all premium rifles owned by people with the necessary money to spend on such an upgrade.

I'm familiar with the operation of MOSFETs.  :P

The point is that drop-ins like the Stealth completely replace the archaic stock trigger contacts, which is a step in the right direction, and allow you:

• Electrical safeguards - short-circuit, under/over-voltage protection and warning - which otherwise require additional bits of circuitry jammed into the already cramped SOPMOD.
  • PWM control of ROF, which can include full-auto lockout for DMRs. If custom programming of this is permitted I can work on having an instantaneous trigger response without ending up with a silly ROF, too.

There's so much that a computerized fire control system can do, and it's a logical fit for the NexGen v.2 because they're all premium rifles owned by people with the necessary money to spend on such an upgrade.

Except it seems we'll never ever see this product hit the market! So many hollow promises:)

Ok I see. So it is more like swapping out for a torque motor. Will this be sufficient to run with a 7.4v LIPo? Seems a significant improvement without much work. What do u use to shim the commutator etc? Or even a swap with these Chinese motors would have been an improvement already?

Sorry for all these questions since I am no mechanical engineer

Edited by Berggy

Yes a ROF controller will help a lot with the ebbs. I think major causes of damages from EBB are 1) ROF & 2) excessive stress (higher power spring). It is almost forbidden to use a 11.1v LIPo because it will just destroy the internals In particular the recoil and bolt cover movement parts. If I can use a 11.1v LIPo it will give a fast trigger response while limiting the ROF to 14 rps (optimal rps stated in instructions ) then i think it would be THE rifle to get.

Well I can dream on I guess.

Edited by Berggy
  • Like 1

The armatures in the Chinese magnets are of a poor quality normally, the EG1000 armature is wound for moderate torque and speed using good quality wire. Swapping to good magnets gets you more torque without loosing any speed.

Hopefully 2013 is the end of brushed motors in airsoft.

As far as 11.1s and recoils, so long as you aren't getting pre-engagement you won't have a problem. I've seen two run on 11.1s, a stock which still ran until the piston stripped and now runs fine on an 7.4, and my SOCOM with torque gears which did not get PE due to lower sector speed.

I'm testing mine on an ORGA M120.

Prometheus Double Torque Gears

EG Hard piston

EG Hard piston head (bearings removed, and weight Swiss cheesed)

Prometheus Cylinder Head

Prometheus Nozzle

Systema 6mm bushings

Jonzey's MicroFET

EG1000M+ (may switch to a Frankentorque)

7.4v 20c 1800mAh brick

Standard tech work done, bevel up shimming, Thin Sorbothane (70D) for padding and AOE correction), Radius'd corners, and polished cylinder.

Cycles fine in just the lower, going to fully assemble the gun once my new spades come and stress test the gearbox in a cold north-east winter.

Does anyone have a M110 spring in their SOPMOD? If so, would you mind posting your parts list?

What muzzle velocity do you have in mind? I know my buddy dropped a Eagle 6 spring in his, I think a M100 or 110 but need to confirm with him

IIRC he got 100 mps out of it with a 300mm Koba twist barrel, and replaced the gears (with the awesome Promy ones) as for some reason one of them stripped - but the failure was with the original spring.

Perhaps someone has a hint for me to find some spare parts: I just had the opportunity to get another Sopmod for just 200 €... guess what, I bought it :D Now this one is missing the charging handles spring and the bolt stop spring.

I modified a Version 2 ARL spring to fit at the bolt stop and it works though it seems this isn´t the perfect solution. Any ideas?

And for the charging handle spring: I tried a version 2 tappet plate spring but this didn´t work. I know there are shops out there offering the spring including the charging handle... but perhaps somenone offers another idea :)