Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

i dont want to rewire my Socom anymore, i'll just buy the peq15 and put a lipo in it :)

In that case get one of these matey , I've got one and as long as your not a ' trigger h***e' it'll last you all day .

Cracking little bit of kit .

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-peq15-box-with-7-4v-1800mah-lithium-battery-black.html

Edited by druid799
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

if your not confident at soldering is there any chance you can find some one at your site who could solder it for you ? (Do they have a marshal there who fixes busted guns during game days ? Most sites do ) .

Or even buy something like one of these ;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deans-Connector-male-14-AWG-Silicone-Wire-160cm-long-/390403158356?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5ae5d77154

And put some male/female spade connectors on the wires so you can run deans (I did much easier ) , the current flow is so much better with deans , tamiya's are shocking compared to them .

Edited by druid799

I see a lot of mentioning that dean connectors are way better than tamiya ones. I am not questioning the claims here, butt is there anywhere that did tests to compare the two? What are the changes in the ROF etc with the wide ranges of batteries out there. Say for 7.4V LiPo? Just curious. 

You'll get 1-2 more rounds per second, according to some videos/reports.

Edited by slice

I definetly had a slight increase in RoF after I changed to deans . If you just do some googling there is info out there listing the better flow rate through deans compared to tamiya's , read one of the main reasons was to do with the larger surface area on the deans spades compared to the tamiya's little pins (makes sense ) .

Edited by druid799

I definetly had a slight increase in RoF after I changed to deans . If you just do some googling there is info out there listing the better flow rate through deans compared to tamiya's , read one of the main reasons was to do with the larger surface area on the deans spades compared to the tamiya's little pins (makes sense ) .

I understand the benefit of higher contact surface that will bring more conductivity. What i really want to know is if under the normal airsoft loading range, does it really improve performances? i guess there are no literacy on that right now so my question pretty much answered. 

Definitely not Aluminum. Most likely some sort of alloy though by no means worse than some of the lower grade Aluminum.

i need to know it because i want to let somebody laser a logo on the lower....

wouldn't be so nice if it'd burst in pieces during the process :D

Edited by KyleKatarn

One day as i was taking the aeg apart i managed to break the front part of the gearbox shell where the blowback mechanism moves. Then as i was ready to order a new shell , i had an idea and took it to a store with aluminium doors/windows etc and convinced the technician to bond it with aluminium welding. After that with a bit of sanding it was like new. The guy there told me that possible the alloy is duraluminium, which is light, soft to machine, but not as flexible as aluminium. so it might be the case the lower/upper is from the same stuff.

• Like 1

I understand the benefit of higher contact surface that will bring more conductivity. What i really want to know is if under the normal airsoft loading range, does it really improve performances? i guess there are no literacy on that right now so my question pretty much answered.

Haven't got any info on the subject but all I can say is what I actually experienced which was an increase in RoF and trigger response when I changed from tamiya's to Deans . One down side I did note was my old nimh battery's did die quicker but I changed to Lipo shortly after I swapped the connectors so no big thing .

Edited by druid799
One day as i was taking the aeg apart i managed to break the front part of the gearbox shell where the blowback mechanism moves. Then as i was ready to order a new shell , i had an idea and took it to a store with aluminium doors/windows etc and convinced the technician to bond it with aluminium welding. After that with a bit of sanding it was like new. The guy there told me that possible the alloy is duraluminium, which is light, soft to machine, but not as flexible as aluminium. so it might be the case the lower/upper is from the same stuff.

That is great info! Does the window guy told you how to do the welding? I broke my lower as well and perhaps I can weld it instead of getting a new lower

Haven't got any info on the subject but all I can say is what I actually experienced which was an increase in RoF and trigger response when I changed from tamiya's to Deans . One down side I did note was my old nimh battery's did die quicker but I changed to Lipo shortly after I swapped the connectors so no big thing .

Maybe I will do a testing and post up later about this.

Hey, do you guys know what the lower/upper of the Next Gen m4 is made of? Aluminum?

Definitely not Aluminum. Most likely some sort of alloy though by no means worse than some of the lower grade Aluminum.

+1. It's some sort of alloy. It's not really nasty pot metal, but it could be zinc, magnesium or aluminium alloy and it would be hard for us to tell. The sad thing is that the (expensive) aftermarket receivers are actually even nastier - no engraved trademarks, nothing. That said, I don't think you'd have a problem in getting it laser engraved; I mean, if you can engrave a WE slide (done all the time) you can do a TM body.

Edited by PureSilver

Richard, can we get some info on the specs of the trigger system?

As far as deans go, compared to Tamiya you get lower resistance per connector by very much. Lower resistance results in less arcing in a standard trigger, faster motor speed, and higher torque output, reducing resistance is a great way to improve the performance of the gun.

Yeah, there will be SOMEONE that does TIG welding. It's not that rare a skill (though you'll probably have to tidy up afterwards with some files and sandpaper); a car repair place or any metal fabrication shop should be able to sort it.

[EDIT]Of course, you can also MIG it but it's harder. A decent (i.e., not a really super-cheap) hobby welder could handle it but you'll need argon (NOT CO2) and a few parts to make it feed aluminium wire smoothly.[/EDIT]

Edited by PureSilver
  • Like 1