Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I *think* I might have identified the problem. I started testing parts as I went and found I was still having locking issues before I even put the stock tube on. Broke it back down even further and was getting them without the piston in place...

It looks like the tip of the anti-reversal latch has sheared off at some stage, which as well as meaning more stress all round, meant it was possible for it to become reversed (as it was short enough to go past the bevel gear) and effectively act as an anti-forward latch.

I have a couple of spare ARLs in the parts bin, although not sopmod specific, and it seems to run okay with just the gears and motor in, so I'm going for a reassembly and test. I've also re-rewired to 18awg teflon so there's much more room in the motor grip (although interestingly the motor does still seem to get stuck when you try and bring it back down again).

I think a reinforced ARL may have to be on the shopping list.

You know what? I have no idea what I'm doing.

However, somehow, despite repeating exactly the same steps as every time before, I've managed to fix it. :) I'm not going to call it permanently fixed until I actually get through an entire day of gaming with it, but RoF is drastically improved, and fps is now bang on 350, which is much better than previously.

Now all I have to do is never touch it again...

• Like 1

I really should know that by now shouldn't I? Yet somehow the promise of more accuracy or velocity or consistency always persuades me to start tinkering...

Thanks to all who contributed. I have incorporating winding the stock tube back a notch and that's probably helping. Also improved shimming and AoE. Oh well, it's all knowledge hard earned. :)

No, I may have jumped the gun on that a bit. It looks like the sopmod ARL does look different from standard - a flat end rather than curved. Suspect I should probably replace the pinion gear though, mines a little shagged.

I think the smaller of the two screws in the pistol grip may have threaded its hole a bit too. Any fixes for this other than getting a new grip?

Love it 5 years and 100 pages late .. Yet actually what this thread was intended for haha

It's a great gun menz , retails about 450gbp I think

You might as well assume 500 though with battery. Expensive bit of kit but there's a lot of love for the platform. Solid performance out of the box.

At this rate mine'll be up for a bargain price. Jammed it after about 10 rounds today. Mnng. It has to be motor depth/position, because if I hold it in fires fine, but I cannot for the life of me get it right otherwise. I've shimmed and reshimmed it to death. I'm seriously considering buying an old TM AK47 and just using that. Bah.

On that note though, anyone know if it's possible to fit a motor cage (of any sort) to the sopmod? I realise you wouldn't use it long term, but it would at least help try to remove some of the possible problems for troubleshooting purposes.

I think the grip is good. Front screw is largely without thread, but the back seems to do the bulk of the work. I might see if I can see a second hand original from someone who's fitted an aftermarket instead. I have a CA High Torque (allegedly) motor kicking about, which I *think* I tried to the same effect, but I may have another crack at that tomorrow.

It's all starting to go wrong with my poor wee SOPMOD. After 2 years of near flawless use the front section is wobbly, the magazine stop has gone iffy, accuracy is inconsistent and jam frequency is slowly getting higher. I haven't got the nerve to pull the thing apart of fix it all so I'll be waiting for it to fall apart in my hands before finally retiring it.

2 years though. Its done well.

Haha even my brand new vw caddy needs servicing every year.

2 years with no looking at ain't bad though .. Not bad at all. You'd think you would get a jam from dirty barrel at the very least.

When I tend to approach repairs hatchet, I try and start with anything that's broken, the screw that doesn't thread is a concern maybe get a new m3 pan head a little longer maybe get into some new thread, it's drill all the way through so plenty more in there.

It's all starting to go wrong with my poor wee SOPMOD. After 2 years of near flawless use the front section is wobbly, the magazine stop has gone iffy, accuracy is inconsistent and jam frequency is slowly getting higher. I haven't got the nerve to pull the thing apart of fix it all so I'll be waiting for it to fall apart in my hands before finally retiring it.

2 years though. Its done well.

Was this with just a completely stock set up with no mods done by the user? Mine has been chugging for a bit longer than that and still is. 2 year is still  no slouch though. The annoying thing for me is the stock tube getting loose. The front part is easy work