Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Was this with just a completely stock set up with no mods done by the user? Mine has been chugging for a bit longer than that and still is. 2 year is still  no slouch though. The annoying thing for me is the stock tube getting loose. The front part is easy work

The only 'mod' I did was to wrap some electrical tape around the stock pipe to stop the crane stock wobbling. Never wanted to risk busting it completely.

[edit] Hurray! Page 222.

Edited by BoggyB
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Getting a new lock ring is probably the most important upgrade you can do.

What does it do, keep the buffer tube from getting loose? How is it different from the stock one? Just curious by looking at a pic of it and wondering how it works. It's out of stock at echigoya though

If I'm wanting to boost my velocity and range a bit am I best going for an m100 spring on it's own or an m90 with a new barrel and hop rubber? I'm needing to keep under 350 fps and from what I can tell either option should get me to about 330.

M90 and a bearing spring guide will get you to that , no need to mess around with new inners and the hop .

• Like 1

I also heard good things about these, was in the market for a new aeg so went for a lightly used sopmod. I Love it! Recoil is excellent, range and the noise is awesome. Best thing I have spent my money on, can't see me selling it for anything else.

M90 and a bearing spring guide will get you to that , no need to mess around with new inners and the hop .

Appreciate the advice. Ordered an m90 and guide from eagle6 so should hopefully get that installed over the next few days. I've taken the thing apart to try and get used to it all, and fixed the wobbly bits while I was at it, and it's not half as complicated as I thought it was. 

Incidentally I installed one of the eagle6 recoil spring upgrades today and the, not insignificant, increase in noise and kick is quite the thing.

Edited by BoggyB

Nay, not that one. In the spring upgrade video it's the smallest spring inside that fiddly as hell mechanism that he removes here.

I've also managed to strip one of the screws on the wire cover on the stock pipe so I didn't even get to switch the damned spring and guide around. Starting to wish I'd sent the thing off to somebody who knows what they're doing. ^_^

Edited by BoggyB

Im putting a large TM order together for Original TM Sopmod Parts..  Its one of those i order and like 3 months down the road i get a random email saying ready..

Please see link below it has a LARGE sopmod PDF manual you can download.    Somewhere near the bottom is the parts break down.  Please note there are no individual part numbers for things like selector plates, i will have to have them made locally or source aftermarket parts for internal gearbox parts.  How ever alot of the little external things you loose over time are on there with part numbers.  below is my current list and current ordere quantiys, so if you need anything adding to it then youve got about a week to shout up.

http://eagle6.co.uk/shop/info-sopmodm4

Tokyo Marui - Sopmod m4

MGM4-12 – Sopmod m4 hop unit set = QTY 10  - gold dust

NGM4-4 = Sopmod m4 ejection port cover = QTY 5  - someone said they lost this

NGM4-34 = Sopmod m4 Stock tube = QTY 5 - threads wear .. nuff said

NGM4-38 = Sopmod m4 Wire cover = QTY 5 - someone said they lost this

NGM4-39 = Sopmod m4 metal guide = QTY 5 - someone said they lost this

NGM4-110 = Sopmod m4 Connector block = QTY 5 - someone said they broke there metal connectors or lost it doing a deans conversion

NGM4-28 = Sopmod Grip Set = QTY 5  - someone asked for original grips

NGM4-31 = Sopmod Grip end set = QTY 5

NGM4-116 = Sopmod m4 Butt plate = QTY 5 - someone said they lost a butt plate

NGM4-15 – Dust cover = QTY 5 - someone asked for new dust covers

NGM4-18 – Metal Piece for recoil blow back = QTY 5

NGM4-16 – Springs for recoil blowback = QTY 5

NGM4-19 – Blowback recoil parts = QTY 5 - these break.. im sure someone needs them

NGM4-20 – Blow back bar and springs = QTY 5  - someone said they lost the sping

NGM4-21 – Complete Gearbox Sopmod m4 = QTY 1  - omg expensive..

Jen prices are all on the manual, you can see just how pricey something like a complete gearbox is!  so bare that in mind before ordering 10 hop units and 3 gearboxes to make your own sopmod...

NGM4-114 - Rear Fuse assembly. If they do it, as I slightly melted mine. Still works, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have a spare...

As an aside, having got one of the BTC Chimera's on my backup AEG I am even more keen for them to finish the SOPMOD version - they're absolutely brilliant.

ok matey added.

Im not sure how some places get the original internal parts, i can only assume they buy the gearbox and split it.. as surely they cant order without a part number.  Would be hard pressed to break even as no one would want half the bits inside .. lol would be like ARL 20 quid haha.. could be an idea though.  Everyone would just buy up the contact switch block and Bolt stop lever and spring and leave the rest haha.

Unfortunately I would have to get the socom gearbox and break it too bits for that and even then it would only be 1 !

Also I'm not ordering the lowers as unless you guys can give me a good reason other wise the laylax are available and it's a better reciever and same price.

Used mine at a game yesterday, first time using it after fitting a Prometheous TB and Firefly hop and nub that I bought from Eagle 6. Accuracy was awesome and range is getting better. Had so many kills, it was great! 95% were on semi as well as we have an ammo limit whilst playing so I don't use auto much at all.

Best rifle I have had and it should only get better  :D

Hi folks,

Just a quick query about magazine adapters for these rifles so you can use regular AEG magazines.

How are they fitted? They look like push-fit extensions - just wondered how secure they are (will they fall off in a skirmish) and if there are any feed problems with them? I did run searches both forum wide and on this topic specifically, so apologies if these points have already been addressed somewhere.

Cheers! 

I haven't used one - but I really would avoid them unless you're only going to run hi-caps. The original SOPMOD midcaps are frankly brilliant - switchable 30/82rd capacity, faultlessly reliable and well-made - and critically they will engage bolt-lock to prevent you uselessly dry-firing at the enemy, plus you get the added realism of smacking the bolt release to resume fire. You lose the bolt-lock if you use the adapter, and frankly there's nothing so wrong with the TM originals (or the PTS PMAGs, which are helpfully higher-capacity, too) that you need to use non-OEM magazines unless you just can't live without flash-magazines or something like that.

I will concede that the OEM magazines are a little pricey, but otherwise they're pretty much perfect - and the only other possible failing (low capacity) can be remedied by the also-very-good PMAGs. I really would stick with them.