Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Oh, I totally agree with you - I love the idea of having to use the bolt catch! Just on occasion I may want to use other mags I already have, which include Flash and PMAGs. Also, I would love to get some of those sexy, sexy Lancer L5 mags.

That...and, I know at some point during an open skirmish I'll start to adopt a "if you can't beat them, join them" mind set when it comes to high caps. x) Sad, I know....

I'm already looking for ammo restricted games... :) 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

The SOPMOD hi-caps work fine too, and don't need the adapter, but I agree about wanting more compatible magazines - I want PMAGs for the SOPMOD, but I want windowed PMAGs, not boring non-windowed ones. I wonder if I can transplant the SOPMOD PMAG's internals into a windowed PMAG... I suspect not, because of the extra height, which is a shame.

• Like 1

Well I really want some of those Lancer mags too for the SOPMOD.... there were a few people I've seen who converted real PMAGs to take the internal insert of the TM next-gen mags, years before PTS released theirs. I wonder if I can do one with a Lancer L5 mag... :D

That would be totally dreamy!! Until then I'll probably have to make do with an AEG adapter. :)

I have the mag well adaptor and fitted it once and since then have never used it again. The mods with the bolt stop are too awesome! But if you do get the adaptor it seems to fit pretty solidly so I can't imagine it falling off. Gutted about the pts pmags but these http://www.ebairsoft.com/battleaxe-magazine-marui-recoil-shock-p-5325.html are pretty good they work just as well as my TM mags (they must have been made from hi- cap shells as they have the slot for the winder in the base play but its covered/filled in!)

Finally part of Club Recoil Shock! Picked up my SOCOM today. :D In love with the simulated recoil and the bolt catch is fun, fun, fun! Quite like the EBB as well. Plenty of bits bits coming in soon (stock, rail covers, foregrips, etc). Can't wait!

I have the mag well adaptor and fitted it once and since then have never used it again. The mods with the bolt stop are too awesome! But if you do get the adaptor it seems to fit pretty solidly so I can't imagine it falling off. Gutted about the pts pmags but these http://www.ebairsoft.com/battleaxe-magazine-marui-recoil-shock-p-5325.html are pretty good they work just as well as my TM mags (they must have been made from hi- cap shells as they have the slot for the winder in the base play but its covered/filled in!)

Thanks for the tip on Battleaxe mags, fortunately the package I bought came with a stack of mags so I should be OK for now. They are boggo STANAG magazines though.

I don't suppose you'd be looking to part with your adaptor?

EDIT: Found the PTS PMags on EB as well:

http://www.ebairsoft.com/pmag-sopmod-black-p-6440.html

Edited by FTZ-WildeCard

Wildecard this is the one I've got http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/cyclone7-marui-m4-recoil-mag-adaptor-sopmod there're in stock, I want to keep mine for now "just in case" don't know why ?!? I can't imagine I'll ever use normal mags with either of my recoils!

Yeah I know there's the pmags about ATM but I'm skint and I'm sure they'll start disappearing by the time I get round to getting some lol

the mag pipe adapters are pretty solid, I used one in my SCAR for months before I shelled out for some proper SOPMOD style mags.  Once it's in, it's in until you physically pull it out, I had to use pliers wrapped in electrical tape to get it out so I wouldn't worry about that. 

Cheers mate - that's just the kind of feedback I was after! :)

OK - bi tof a disaster, had my mate run to check out the SOCOM. He tried to pop a G&G crane stock onto the TM stock pipe, but the little tab on the end cap prevented it sliding on nicely -- he forced it on (ARGH) and sheared the end cap right off. I'm guessing it help stop rotation of the screw at the end of the stock tube. 

It still cycles OK and the recoil shock mechanism still works, but I'm just looking for some advice on whether this is OK for now or a BIG deal? As in, is it likely to unscrew and eject the recoil mech out :/ 

Thanks ... !

You mean an M4 RAS? Or a free-float?

The M4 RAS doesn't fit well at all. The SOPMOD's handguard cap and delta ring are too small to fit RS parts well - you have to hammer the handguard cap into place (not good) and the delta ring barely holds on. This problem is just one more thing that sucks about the SOPMOD's stupid delta ring assembly, which is well worth replacing anyway (G&P do a nice one) because of its pathetically weak spring, the poor grip it gets on the barrel, and how easily it works loose.

To conclude, to fit a RS M4 RAS (and, I should think, any other non-free-floated rail) you really need to change the delta ring and handguard cap for parts that are closer to RS specification.

Appreciate the quick response! you saved me a big headache before i was about to go to the local gun store to pick up the rail. 

Maybe it's just easier to just get the rail set that was made for the sopmod and drop it in. Do they actually sell the TM sopmod rails separately as an accessory? This will be going on my TM socom, btw

Edited by Honzo
  • Like 1

Best place to check for spares, like rails, is Eagle6. Had a spare set of rails for my Socom for there.

If you're in the UK/Europe, I agree, Eagle6 is definitely the place to go. If you're in the States, there's probably better alternatives.

Appreciate the quick response! you saved me a big headache before i was about to go to the local gun store to pick up the rail. 

Maybe it's just easier to just get the rail set that was made for the sopmod and drop it in. Do they actually sell the TM sopmod rails separately as an accessory? This will be going on my TM socom, btw

Glad I could help! You could probably buy the SOPMOD rails separately secondhand as many users of the SOPMOD change theirs for longer/newer free-floating rails; you might be able to get it first-hand from somewhere too - but, I really wouldn't bother. The TM rail isn't just too small at the ends - it's fractionally smaller all over. For example, the RS KAC rail covers are a very loose fit (as opposed to the tight fit they are on the RS and Inokatsu RASs I have) so evidently the TM is a little on the small side all round. The other parts involved (particularly the original TM delta ring assembly) suck already, so it's worth replacing them anyway. Plus, in the States the RS RAS is comparatively cheap, and it's obviously a lot better made than the cast TM copy.

Honestly, I would strongly suggest changing the handguard cap and delta ring assembly, and using the RS RAS. It's not difficult at all - the G&P delta ring is a drop-in fit, as is the G&P handguard cap - and they're not very expensive. For the handguard cap, just remove the flashhider, punch the taper pins from the FSB and remove the recessed screw to pull the FSB, and drop the new handguard cap right in. For the delta ring, undo the screw underneath and it just unscrews; the G&P is the correct threading but (assuming that your SOCOM is still front-wired) you'll have to do some careful cable routing around the new barrel nut.

If you're in the UK/Europe, I agree, Eagle6 is definitely the place to go. If you're in the States, there's probably better alternatives.

Glad I could help! You could probably buy the SOPMOD rails separately secondhand as many users of the SOPMOD change theirs for longer/newer free-floating rails; you might be able to get it first-hand from somewhere too - but, I really wouldn't bother. The TM rail isn't just too small at the ends - it's fractionally smaller all over. For example, the RS KAC rail covers are a very loose fit (as opposed to the tight fit they are on the RS and Inokatsu RASs I have) so evidently the TM is a little on the small side all round. The other parts involved (particularly the original TM delta ring assembly) suck already, so it's worth replacing them anyway. Plus, in the States the RS RAS is comparatively cheap, and it's obviously a lot better made than the cast TM copy.

Honestly, I would strongly suggest changing the handguard cap and delta ring assembly, and using the RS RAS. It's not difficult at all - the G&P delta ring is a drop-in fit, as is the G&P handguard cap - and they're not very expensive. For the handguard cap, just remove the flashhider, punch the taper pins from the FSB and remove the recessed screw to pull the FSB, and drop the new handguard cap right in. For the delta ring, undo the screw underneath and it just unscrews; the G&P is the correct threading but (assuming that your SOCOM is still front-wired) you'll have to do some careful cable routing around the new barrel nut.

Great advice, never noticed that till you mentioned it. Now i do remember when i fit some knight rail covers they were a bit loose on a sopmod i had a long time ago.