Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Had or have? Could you get photos of the fit of the front of the RAS into the handguard cap, and of how far the delta ring will go along the RAS? My RAS categorically will not fit into the handguard cap without bending it, and the delta ring barely fit over the first 2-3mm of the rear of the RAS.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I had it about 4 years ago, so unfortuantely I can't provide new pictures. The one I posted is the only one somewhat useful that I could find.

However now I remember that I might have filed off a little bit from the front lever (circled in red):

eniz.jpg

I don't think it was much, like 1 or 2 mm, but I can't remember for sure.

About the lever with the screw, yes I did indeed use it and it did improve the fit dramatically. You just have to remove the screw completely in order to fit the RAS to the gun first.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

My rail is the VFC KAC URX-2. Looking to swap it for a Midwest Industries SS Gen 2 or a Madbul Noveske NSR.

IIRC for the Moe pistol grips you'll have to use the metal base plate sold separately, the one that comes with the grip doesn't fit the motor properly.

• Like 2

Yep - to support what elanaiba said, you'll need to get the metal base plate for proper adjustment on the Magpul grips.

-

I'm currently using a PEQ box for my battery, but would rather have a clean rail system.

Has anyone fitted a battery into a Redimag type set-up on their SOPMOD/SOCOM? How did you get on with the wiring?

@SixtyNiner - I'm currently running a 7.4V 1100mah twin panel in the rail, and I'm looking to move to battery in the PEQ box, as this battery doesn't perform so well including in cold, and changing batteries is kinda difficult in the field.

When I run a rail on my socom I use this ; http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/gandp-peq15-box-with-7-4v-1800mah-lithium-battery-black.html

Runs all day quite happily .

As with Druid, I use a PEQ-15 with this battery http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/kong-power-111v-1000mah-20c-single-rechargable-lipo-battery

I change it out at lunch time but I think I could get a full days play at a pinch.

But, for a change and also to top keep the top rail clean (purely aesthetic reasons) I've been thinking of trying a redi-mag system with the battery in the shell of the second mag. The are I think may be problematic is routing the wires to the mag without them causing problems for the bolt release.

Has any one done this before? How did you run the wiring?

I'm about to modify the upper receiver to take a slightly shortened (to accommodate the hopup) standard Marui-spec barrel (pre-SOPMOD style). Has anyone else done this? Any tips?

Curious , as to why your fitting an old style barrel (could be a heck of a mod job) and what project its going towards building .

Edited by druid799

I'm about to modify the upper receiver to take a slightly shortened (to accommodate the hopup) standard Marui-spec barrel (pre-SOPMOD style). Has anyone else done this? Any tips?

old style aeg barrels are about 6mm to wide to fit in the sopmod upper reciever.. took me an absolute AGE to reduce the diameter enough to fit.. youll also need to cut a locating lug into the barrel so it matches with the upper..

not sure how you intend to mod the upper.. would be a pain getting into that as its recessed and also 5 times the cost of the barrel to replace..

Why embark on this insanity? I want to fit a long barrel, and their isn't an existing 'new style' length of barrel that works for the build I have in mind. I'm looking to convert the M4 into a Mk12 Mod 0 SPR. I'm also planning to add a full stock (that's the easy part, LOL).

Two options:

1) I'm looking at taking a dremel wheel to the inside of the upper receiver and roundly open it up little by little. 

2) I'm also considering the option of turning down the existing barrel and miling out the lug, but this may not be necessary since the barrel has a flat bottom for the wiring to pass through that should fit the raised fin inside the upper receiver, I'm waiting for a price quote back from the machine shop on this - Option A is my DIY route, this is the professional route.

Either route, the AEG barrel will be cut down to accommodate the existing limitation on length inside the receiver.

Unfortunately it's actually more expensive to have the extension made locally (that was my first thought)! I've got the Army SOPMOD clone, so I'm really not too worried about the upper - I can always buy another Army clone and part it out for spares and recoup most of the cost. Plus, with the extension the barrel profile will be all wrong, and that'll bug me on the inside.

I've worked with this machine shop before, they generally charge only around $25 for work like this, but one of their guys is out so I don't know if they can accept the work this week.

Edited by pkm200901