Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Contrary to some earlier comments I am looking to move my battery from a peq box to within the rail.

I have a dd mk18 style RIS, has anyone had success fitting 1250mah style crane lipos in the void of the ris?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i find its a hard question to answer, i mean ive fit that type of ris and ive fit crane style lipos i think about 1100 was the max.. i mean every lipo is different even if they are the same rating.

find your prefered manufacturer and i generally buy 3 or 4 batterys and go with the biggest / best fitting. youll want to cut a black plastic cover as well to squeeze in the end to cover the wiring.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

yeah i fit one with no lower part of the ris that could be removed... so once you slotted the lipos in there they stayed there haha.  Youll be fine you can always sand back and repaint the outer if you really needed an extra mm or so.

yes PKM crane lipos =  flat cell split pack lipos

To be clear, that was just the style - I wouldn't dream of running an 11.1v in a stock Marui (or even lightly upgraded Marui). I've got a 7.4v in my Army SOPMOD.

I dropped the outer barrel to be machined - the dimension difference from the old Marui style barrel to the new Marui style barrel is 1/16" smaller (about 2mm) in diameter, and 5/16" shorter (about 8mm) in length from the chamber end. I should get it back in a day or so and get it fitted. Other work needed is to cut off the locking ring bracket and drill a hole for a gas tube to fit into, but I'll wait for those until I know for sure that the barrel will mate up without issue.

• 2 weeks later...

That'll be the Big Out DTM. I'd also like to hear any user experience with it, since the 'FET is now all I'm waiting on for reassembly...

[EDIT]It looks to me like they're on to version two. Big Out's site (where you could order it, if it wasn't out of stock) is here and quotes list price at ¥19,740, or about $200/£125. The Google translation isn't brilliant but I think it features adjustable precocking, three-round burst, and maybe some sort of ROF-control.[/EDIT]

Edited by PureSilver

yeah one version is for next gens the other for normal m4s.  I heard they was out of stock.  i literally havent heard from anyone who has one yet.

Hopefully the BTC spectre will be hear soon and i can get a review done of that.  Not that stock levels will be much better of that either.

Apprently i have a spectre in the post, but its for normal v2 guns. But frank promises a next gen one and that it is ready. Theres limited supplies unfortunatly of the components for the spectre so its limited stocks. Frank seems to be trying hard to get it sorted and hes been reply to me quite regular on emails which is a big step up from aws days of the past.. Its weird we all know that normal v2 would sell better.. BUT i dont know a single sopmod owner other than the die hards if it aint broke still running original 4 years later, that wouldnt fit a spectre, even if its just for a more effcient circuit running original bats...

Must be weird knowing that if you release 100 units for sale you will sell 100 units lol.. and if you release 1000 units you will sell 1000 units haha.

Yeah, I have a Chimera in a G3 and a Spectre in the MP5. I'd have a "Next-Gen Spectre" as soon as they come out. Assuming I ever get round to fixing the CQBR of course. Ironically have been having so much fun with the MP5 now it's spectred up, that I haven't been that fussed about rushing to open the M4 up again. 

Those normal v2 spectres are pretty rare you must have got in quick.  Ive been told i only get one haha!  difficult for me to sell via the shop if thats the case.  Its funny that hes asking for reviewers.. of a product which is out of stock and limited 1 per customer, which will sell out any way the moment he lists any.  like it needs extra promotion :P 

Ill do a video review when i get them. 

If they ever did an mp5 next gen, i would sleep with it at night...

Yeah, I had got the Chimera and was checking in on the website every couple of days as part of the routine. Tokyo Marui, BTC, Arnies, that sort of thing and saw that it had gone from "Coming Soon" to "Add to cart". So did the usual thing of order mine, tell the other shooters on FB and then give it a couple of hours before mentioning it on here. Think they sold out the same day.

There's a BTC Spectre review thread up already for the normal ones (which I have put a poor quality video on).

Agreed on the next gen MP5, although I struggle to see how they'd fit the mechanism in. A gbb seems more likely...

Well as some of you know I have a third hand sopmod with feeding 'issues' that's been the Bain of my life ! Some times it would empty the mag and other times it would leave 5-10 BBs in the mag and dry fire unless I put some forward pressure on the mag base . Tried several different uppers with it and all had the same problem so figured it must be either the gearbox (looks ok) or the lower some were . So few mths ago someone contacts me with advice and says " I had the same problem , do X,Y and Z and it'll be fine" and like a fool I followed said instructions and it stopped feeding all together ! It's sat in the attic for a few wks now until I could raise a bit of cash to throw at it , dosh now raised and thrown (new lower , stock tube and hard stock ring) AND it was still not feeding ! !

Putting it back together I had the idea to leave the small spring off the inner barrel that sits in front of the hop unit , and low and behold the b****dy thing works ! But the real WTF is on single it fires but continues to dry fire once the mags empty (can live with that at least it's firing !) but and here's the WTF bit when it's fired on auto it fires fine until the mag is empty then it changes it's self to single shot until you take the mag out and then it will continue to dry fire on auto unless you put the empty mag back in and it will change back to semi !

Freely admit I'm confused to say the least .

Well as some of you know I have a third hand sopmod with feeding 'issues' that's been the Bain of my life ! Some times it would empty the mag and other times it would leave 5-10 BBs in the mag and dry fire unless I put some forward pressure on the mag base . Tried several different uppers with it and all had the same problem so figured it must be either the gearbox (looks ok) or the lower some were . So few mths ago someone contacts me with advice and says " I had the same problem , do X,Y and Z and it'll be fine" and like a fool I followed said instructions and it stopped feeding all together ! It's sat in the attic for a few wks now until I could raise a bit of cash to throw at it , dosh now raised and thrown (new lower , stock tube and hard stock ring) AND it was still not feeding ! !

Putting it back together I had the idea to leave the small spring off the inner barrel that sits in front of the hop unit , and low and behold the b****dy thing works ! But the real WTF is on single it fires but continues to dry fire once the mags empty (can live with that at least it's firing !) but and here's the WTF bit when it's fired on auto it fires fine until the mag is empty then it changes it's self to single shot until you take the mag out and then it will continue to dry fire on auto unless you put the empty mag back in and it will change back to semi !

Freely admit I'm confused to say the least .

I did have similar with the final points on your post - Here's my theory and what I did. 

I think the issue stems from weakened springs in the Recoil Shock Magazines. 

When I first got mine, some magazines locked back on empty no problem - some did not, others were, as you described, locking only on full auto (but after one or two shots) as if the extra shaking from full auto helped the bolt lock.

When I opened the magazines up, I stretched the springs and if that wasn't enough, I padded out the bolt stop lever - this did help to some extent, but some springs were just so far gone simple stretching did not help. Beware, you can also pad out the bolt stop lever TOO much, also affecting the bolt stop feature of the magazines.

If there is a more advanced technique to restoring the magazine springs to their original "springiness" then I'd love to hear it, as this would solve 100% of my magazine issues. :)

Thanks and hope I've managed to help someone, too.

I did have similar with the final points on your post - Here's my theory and what I did. 

I think the issue stems from weakened springs in the Recoil Shock Magazines. 

When I first got mine, some magazines locked back on empty no problem - some did not, others were, as you described, locking only on full auto (but after one or two shots) as if the extra shaking from full auto helped the bolt lock.

When I opened the magazines up, I stretched the springs and if that wasn't enough, I padded out the bolt stop lever - this did help to some extent, but some springs were just so far gone simple stretching did not help. Beware, you can also pad out the bolt stop lever TOO much, also affecting the bolt stop feature of the magazines.

If there is a more advanced technique to restoring the magazine springs to their original "springiness" then I'd love to hear it, as this would solve 100% of my magazine issues. :)

Thanks and hope I've managed to help someone, too.

I think it was already mentioned in this thread that you can put some tape on the lever and a shrink tube on it and it will make the magazine work again.