Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I did have similar with the final points on your post - Here's my theory and what I did. 

I think the issue stems from weakened springs in the Recoil Shock Magazines. 

When I first got mine, some magazines locked back on empty no problem - some did not, others were, as you described, locking only on full auto (but after one or two shots) as if the extra shaking from full auto helped the bolt lock.

When I opened the magazines up, I stretched the springs and if that wasn't enough, I padded out the bolt stop lever - this did help to some extent, but some springs were just so far gone simple stretching did not help. Beware, you can also pad out the bolt stop lever TOO much, also affecting the bolt stop feature of the magazines.

If there is a more advanced technique to restoring the magazine springs to their original "springiness" then I'd love to hear it, as this would solve 100% of my magazine issues. :)

Thanks and hope I've managed to help someone, too.

Ok so I had a skirmish with my 416 on the weekend and had no problem whatsoever(well I noticed that one of the screws that holds the stock positioning on the pipe come out and the other was also loosened most likely from the recoil). Now I was cronoing my gun today and the gun would not stop firing with an empty mag(tried 6 mags). However if I pushed the bolt catch down(the lower part with an empty mag) on semi, shot a few rounds on full-auto, or pushed the bolt catch lever up in the gun it would stop firing. Maybe the bolt catch lever's screw also loosened? Weird my SCAR-L's bolt catch still works to this day and I used it more. Maybe if I put something on the gearbox's lever it will work... :P

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Quick question for all , who feels they do not need to do any up-grading to there 416 ? Both my self and the Bear feel its perfect as is and neither of us have any intention of cracking it open until something goes wrong . This is NOT trying to have a go at any one who has started to up-grade there's , just curious how you all feel about how your 416's are performing as is .

• 3 weeks later...

Well last weekend i installed on my m4 socom these parts:

eagle m110 spring

eagle recoil spring

prometheus spring guide

magic box piston

prometheus piston head

prometheus cylinder head

prometheus nozzle

but although i had prometheus gears i decided to keep my 4 year stock gears as they had no sign of wear.

Compression was better than stock. FPS were 375-377 no big difference at range as i had flat hop before, but i can sen 0.30s in a row at 60m. The sound of the recoil is amazing too.

I wouldn't recommend the Baton battery adapter.  It takes up a lot of the room in your stock and you have to rewire your batteries to Dean's.  I personnly use these:

http://www.option-no1.com/catalog/pdf/NO-CN39.pdf

They are drop ins, requiring no mods.  I have swapped out all my other adapters that I had and switched to these in my recce, sopmod, and 416.  Been using them for about 6 months and have zero issues.

Like the idea of the drop in rods but tamiya's realy are poop , you do need to change to deans or some other connector . Noted an increase in all aspects of battery use when I did and I've never met any one who wasn't glad they'd done the same as well . If you need conclusive proof just google tamiya V deans there's LOTS out there .

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend the Baton battery adapter.  It takes up a lot of the room in your stock and you have to rewire your batteries to Dean's.  I personnly use these:

http://www.option-no1.com/catalog/pdf/NO-CN39.pdf

They are drop ins, requiring no mods.  I have swapped out all my other adapters that I had and switched to these in my recce, sopmod, and 416.  Been using them for about 6 months and have zero issues.

where can one purchase these magical rods?!