Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

where can one purchase these magical rods?!

Not sure outside of Japan where they can be bought.  Sorry.  If you want some hit me with a PM and maybe I can get you a set.

Like the idea of the drop in rods but tamiya's realy are poop , you do need to change to deans or some other connector . Noted an increase in all aspects of battery use when I did and I've never met any one who wasn't glad they'd done the same as well . If you need conclusive proof just google tamiya V deans there's LOTS out there .

Absolutely agree, I even changed out the Tamiya connectors on the rods in my earlier post with Deans, but for people who don't know how/are afraid/can't soldier the rods work great

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Bad Sailor the "rods" look pretty interesting but i have not had any problems with my adaptor I got 2 of these -http://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-800mah-20c-continuous-discharge.html with deans and one lasts 1/2 day just pop the other in the other side of the stock and off you go.  For £8.25 a battery you could get 5 for the price of an original TM battery and for a totally drop in solution its pretty good. I'm sure the other options work as well if not better but if you dont want to do any soldering and leave your gun as it is out of the box its pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just upgraded my SOPMOD to about 330 fps from stock with a eagle six spring, new gears etc and got a mosfet fitted at the same time.

Tried it out for the first time yesterday and the range has dropped quite dramatically. I had to put the hop all the way on to get anything out of it.

Anyone else suffered similar problems and have any solutions?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It could be your air nozzle and tappet plate fitting. It's easy to put the air nozzle in out of alignment. There's a bump in the air nozzle that needs to sit in a notch on the tappet plate.

Or if your gun is front wired the hop unit could be pinching a wire, pushing the hop to the side slightly. I've had trouble with this, it's very tricky getting the wires out the front of the gun without them getting caught somewhere.

Edited by SixtyNiner

range = power + spin.  logically.. could be just bad timing, and your rubber is worn now so needs more hop to put more spin on it, could be the weather cuasing the rubber to be harder thefore less tack therefore less spin.  Could be the power levels, are you sure they arnt less now than they where before?  Thoretically things skrink in winter, so cold environments should give you a lower fps reading during game play than on the at home chrono.  lots of potentially effecting factors.

Anyone have any recommendations at all for stocks (or modification work to the buffer tube?) other than the TM ones that'll lock nicely on these guns?

I'm going through an update on the SOCOM I first picked up and I know the RS or PTS MOE stock functions nicely, but everything else seems to encounter issues.  I'm not sure whether it's the depth or the diameter but the locking position holes running along the bottom of the TM buffer tubes aren't as large as they would be on a real buffer tube.  On the MOE stock this is alright; the locking detent doesn't sit fully home so the adjustment lever has a little bit of wiggle room but since it's plastic on plastic and fit closely it doesn't make a rattling noise when you run.  On any Magpul stock with the friction lock however the way the detent sits (i.e. not as far in as it should) prevents the lever on the friction lock clicking in to place and it gets stuck about 70% of the way which is annoying and just looks a bit rubbish to me personally.  On non-Magpul stocks you end up with the adjustment lever flapping around as you move which is even more annoying.

I'm tempted to just go with the MOE stock since they're comparatively cheap and do work, but and since I just installed a mid-length MOE handgaurd and will be installing the MOE pistol grip I'm going to end up with a gun that just looks like the PTS ERG Scout.  Not that that's such a bad thing but it kinda feels like a wasted effort then.

Edited by CKinnerley

Depends. If you're feeling brave you can pull the stock tube, have it lathed down slightly, painted, and fit a UBR. For less work, you can buy the ARS endcap (a worthwhile upgrade in terms of quality, too) and fit an A1/A2-or-similar fixed stock - very cool for SPR Mk.12 Mod.0 clones.

Yeah I've not had a problem with general fitment it is just the locking pins.  Any idea how thick the metal is on the buffer tube i.e. between the inside and the surface in each locking hole that the stock's pin sits against?  As in would a drill just fly right through in to the tube and wreck it (in which case as you say it's going to be better to shorten the pin on the stock) or could some material be removed?

I'd expect a decent amount of space under the detents on a SOCOM, in a SOPMOD obviously the wires are hidden underneath but with a SOCOM I'd be willing to bet a fair amount it's just a void because Marui will have used the exact same buffer tube with a different bit underneath so you don't have the battery contacts at the end. 

Anyone know where can I get a SURUS recoil weight? I bought the CNC buffer tube for it from Echigoya a few months ago but they were out of stock of the SURUS back then. I asked them if they make new ones and they replied "soon" but that was a while ago so I started looking around but found nothing.

img_0824_small.jpg

Pretty damn thin... like i say, id remove this .. and the pin from the stock.. then offer up the pin to the holes, id make sure it actually fits in first.  if it does fit the od isnt the issue but length must be, so then i would shorten the pin.  The benifit of shortening the pin on the stock would be making a low cost aeg stock compaitble with all your recoil shocks.  if memory serves its only about 1mm thick so at most youd be shaving 0.1 - 0.5 out of each hole.  if its flapping that much youll need whole mm's ..