Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

I converted my  Recce to a MK18 I was just gonna take the ris off but i was told that basically it wont come off without resorting to extreme measures, in the end i just got a new upper and barrel and whacked the mk18 ris on that, the bonus is i can still pop the recce upper back on if the fancy takes me.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

If you're trying to remove the rail off the Reece....I believe it just twists off after removing the gas tube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So all I would need to do is take of gas tube, gas block, the 6 hex screws, turn RIS anti clockwise and it will come off?

besides visuals, what is the difference between the SOPMOD crane stock and EMOD? I read that the EMOD doesn't use the same QD battery system. if not, what system does use? would it still be recommended to upgrade to the prommy gold connection bars (http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=PM-PT-HK416SEET&search=special&rs=next%20gen&catid=&cat=&view_choice=a)?

besides visuals, what is the difference between the SOPMOD crane stock and EMOD? I read that the EMOD doesn't use the same QD battery system. if not, what system does use?

Exactly the same mate , the butt pad is different (comes off vier a press button in the center ) but that's the only difference .

• Like 1

On the Sopmod and the Socom it was a drop in but over time the base plate would slip and I would get motor whine.

For some reason on the RECCE the angle of engagement with motor was weird and we had to shim the motor in the grip. We ended up using some acoustic foam (I had some handy) and that got it sorted.

You may also need to push down on the pinion gear if the spacer allows for it.

I'm running shs gears on my m4 and scar h. Scar uses the eg1000 motor with the oem pinion gear. Gun sounds smooth. My m4 uses a g&p m170 motor with an shs pinion gear. That too works very well. The scar shoots about 340 while the m4 shoots just under 400.

I am running the ars sorbo pad using the oem cylinder head with the m4. No issues after 3 years. Save for a stripped tm piston after running a 440 fps spring in the gun for a lil bit.

The official gap above the bevel gear between the casing and the bevel gear needs to be 1mm. You can use a feeler gauge to test. Doing this ensures your bevel gear height is identical to one that comes out of the tm factory.

It's worth doing testing since most people have switched out to different gears and different shimming.

New pistol grip and stock tube fitted. Same problem. Argh!

Have shimmed it as best as I can and it *seems* fine. When run without the spring in it will turn all day and motor engagement sounds good. When run with the spring in it will run fine for a bit and then start randomly locking the gearbox up. Sometimes a sharp tap to the side of the shell frees this up. I'm sure this thing has a bias depending on which side is face up when you're shooting.

My only other thought is perhaps lateral movement of the bushings.

*This* close to breaking it for spares and going back to V2/V3 based guns. :(

Even though I front wired my SOPMOD to a PEQ to allow for slimmer stocks, a friend recently bought a TM HK416, made this for him out of my old and un-used quick change battery and it works great! and I'd like to thank Richard of Eagle6 for the idea!

I do have to add... it wasn't fun making it fit. 

battery-mod.jpg

Very nice dude. I just picked up a TM HK416 Devgro

I am planning on yanking out the OEM connector from the stock addiing some wiring and using a male deans plug as a connector..

I found a 7.4v 1200mah lipo with the dimensions of  116mm x 17mm x 13mm which should be small enough o fit into the SOPMOD stock's battery dock.

Plan is for the wire/deans connectors to sit in the other battery dock. Battery connector will then cross over into the said dock and thats where it'll be tucked in.

I'll be hollowing out the "plugs" that the SOPMOD stock came with. Those will then cover the holes and wiring for a clean look.

Thanks, I was really confused as your comment was inside the quote box... took me ages to realise what was going on. I'm actually about to make a few more for a friend, but this time I'm not going to make a 2600 mah version, but the same ones you mention, in fact, I'm never making 2600 mah ones, it's just a pain, everything has to be absolutely perfect for it to fit into the stock. 

Also now that I have a 3D printer, I should really look into crafting my own battery connectors instead of having to recycle old ones... which is either time consuming or expensive (for people who wanted to make one from scratch) 

Had a change of heart. Ordered the nunchuck version of the 7.4v 1200mah lipo that I got. Instead of rigging it for deans plugs, I think I'm going to yank out the 2/3a nimh cells that the marui pack houses and sticking the lipo cells in it. Then I can run the normal qd setup.

Yup. Mod the battery pack. Not the gun.

Posted this on the tm 416 thread, but didn't receive any replies. I'm curious to know if next gens can handle an 11.1v (assuming you mosfet it)? I was under the impression 11.1v made the ROF too quick for the blowback to handle?

Ive gone through both this thread and the 416 thread and I didn't come across anyone being able to raise ROF to 20+. Has anyone been able to upgrade their next gen to 25rps @ 1.3J while maintaining reliability? Someone on the 416 thread tested his 416 with a 11.1v and it put out 25rps. Curious to know how many people run setups similar to this?