Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

If it's anything like the Magpul UBR stock then the castle nut isn't needed.

As you tighten the stock to the buffer tube a 'lug' slots into the small circular cutout in the receiver, just below where the buffer tube meets the receiver. Normally this is covered by the receiver end plate. Once fully tightened the lug prevents the buffer tube and stock from rotating and keeps it locked in solid.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Here's a picture of the UBR 'lug'…

post-285-0-78912800-1395869004_thumb.jpg

And while I'm at it, here's my UBR conversion to fit a SOPMOD with a battery in the stock.

I was planning to write up a 'how to' but I don't think I'll get time until my kids have grown up and left home.

post-285-0-55905900-1395869199_thumb.jpg post-285-0-53375100-1395869209_thumb.jpg

Since taking the photo I've managed to make enough space for a PEQ-15 type lipo inside, although you have to removed the rubber butt plate to slide it in. The largest mah battery I've gotten through the side door is this 7.4v 850mah lipo…

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11898__Turnigy_nano_tech_850mah_2S_25_40C_Lipo_Pack.html

• Like 3

Ah, thanks for the answer. I was actually thinking about the complete set with the improved recoil weight, but I'm not sure if thats a big difference anyways, I already got the stronger recoil spring from Eagle6. I also have the First Factory castle nut, so maybe I will go for the buffer tube alone, as mine is already a little worn and crooked. 

It's a pretty big difference in 'recoil'. You simply cannot get the SURUS any more, not for love nor money - I should know, I tried - but I can put you on to a machinist who made improved examples for myself and Zereck, another user on here. They're of a similar design to the SURUS but are more flexible in that they can be installed as suspended units (like the SURUS) for an improved kick or fixed (like the original weight) for an even harder kick. Drop me a PM if you want his details.

Is the method of attachment not a bit different at the receiver end though? Castle nut doesn't seem to be present on the full stock, it's all part of the buffer tube assembly. Or at least that's how it seems from the pictures.

Yep, the A1, A2 and some other fixed stocks don't use castle nuts to secure the buffer tube, which in the RS examples is tightened into the receiver with a wrench. As you can imagine, that wouldn't work so well on the soft alloys involved in the Recoil Shock range, particularly because carbine-length buffer tubes don't have the ring (present at the end of the buffer tube's threads) that A1/A2 buffer tubes do, which is what the threading is tight against. Instead, I think the preferred method for Recoil Shocks is to Dremel the inside of the fixed stock until it fits over the castle nut, although I could be wrong.

Edited by PureSilver

PTW stocks are meant to be close to RS dimensions aren't they? It'd be nice to pick up something that's not cheap rattly plastic...

I think some genius at Systema thought it'd be a good idea to copy the dimension of a real steel commercial tube size instead of milspec.. I can confirm that both the non-PTS MOE and CTR stock fit the SOPMOD stock with no modification required (provided you've sorted the wiring) 

The gold contact bar conversion kit should be looked at .. It comes with a handy block which you can screw in place after the quick change has been removed. Then your bars won't slide out after the quick change connections on the stock have been removed.

Edited by Richard Y
  • Like 1

@PureSilver: Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind if I go through with the complete upgrade.

Now with the Spectre in mind I'm thinking about rewiring my Socom to the back. What would the biggest 11.1 V LiPo that can be fitted in the Sopmod stock? Is it possible to use both sides of the stock or won't there be enough room for the cables then? Currently I'm running a 11.1 V 1200 mAh tri-panel in the RIS (semi only), but I feel it doesn't last very long with my M120 and upgraded recoil spring. At least the response time drops noticeably in a rather short time. 

If you get the spectre over all efficiency will go up, you will be able to get a lot more for a lot less battery.

You can fit a 7.4v 2000mah turnigy in there if your willing to lengthen the wire that joins the two cells.

Also 11.1v 1400mah li ion packs round cells

CNC end cap turned up in a couple of days from Echigoya. Good service. :) Got a fixed stock on the way. We shall see how well it all goes together.

Now all I need is the NG-spectre on general release. And possibly an entire SPR front end. and... well, you know how it goes...

• Like 1

wondering if people have run into any issues running the gun stock on using a 7.4v lipo but without the fuse? my common sense says it should be fine..  

I pretty much did that for 4 years, didn't have any problems, I would have put one in if I had the space but I didn't, and the gun's gone through quite an amount of abuse too. 

• Like 1