Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

@Richard Y: Thanks, I just thought about Li-Ion after seeing your old 7.4 V 4-cell battery. 7.4 V won't do it for me, but only three of these cells in series should be fine. On the other hand I read that Li-Ion cells don't have a great discharge rate compared to other types and are not that optimal for airsoft guns. I mean it worked very well in your gun, but I have M120 spring, recoil spring, Systema Magnum motor and heavy standard torque steel gears, which taken together seem to need a high discharge rate. I also noticed a significant difference in performance between the original A123 LiFePo cells and the china made firefox LiFePo batteries with the same capacity, which I assume is due to the different discharge rates.

But I guess I can try the Li-Ion if I don't find a suitable LiPo.

Edited by Lord Vader

Anyone used the ARS barrel base?  No matter what I do I seem to get 14.5" barrels that flop to the side with freefloating handguards.  Tried all sorts of different combinations of things, different uppers, barrel nuts, handguards, shims, outer barrels... really pissing me off considering what I've spent on certain parts with specific builds in mind and there not being any discernible reason for the barrel to be on the .

Anyone used the ARS barrel base?  No matter what I do I seem to get 14.5" barrels that flop to the side with freefloating handguards.  Tried all sorts of different combinations of things, different uppers, barrel nuts, handguards, shims, outer barrels... really pissing me off considering what I've spent on certain parts with specific builds in mind and there not being any discernible reason for the barrel to be on the ######.

Yes yes yes, I did, it's very very good and I had the exact same problem, resorted to using the gas block to force the barrel to the middle, but after the ARS barrel base, it was centered straight away.

I managed to get away with one whole pack of shims to bolt my barrel down when using a Madbull DD RIS2 barrel nut, but that was more luck and judgement I think as the first time I used that many it was still moving around side to side, then unscrewed it, reseated the TM base a bit and it seated perfectly (this is when fitting to a SOCOM front wired if that makes any difference).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so to confirm, ARS barrel base fixes the sloppy barrel?  I've got the best part of 2 packs of shims in mine and there's still a little bit of wiggle on it!

Mine did yes, and I've tried all those things you mentioned as well. I'd imagine that problem is why ARS made that base in the first time. 

7.4v 3200 mah crane battery, inside is very plain jane.

Stock cylinder head and nozzle

Ics full cylinder sorboed

Hornbill metal rack piston, Swiss cheesed and second tooth removed

Stock TM gears

Systems metal bushings

And of course! The spectre!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The laylax barrel support works just as good too and is cheaper. Another underestimated tool is the laylax wrench tool, 99% of any barrel wobble on a standard Sopmod can be fixed with that. You only need shims if you start playing around with different front ends.

I was unlucky with my ars barrel support as it didn't fit .. I'm assuming they have fixed that now.

The laylax barrel support works just as good too and is cheaper. Another underestimated tool is the laylax wrench tool, 99% of any barrel wobble on a standard Sopmod can be fixed with that. You only need shims if you start playing around with different front ends.

Well this is the thing, my 14.5" gun has a 12" Fortis REV and the barrel is seriously wonky.  Using a G&P barrel nut with a standard AR spanner so it's definitely on tight and the same nut worked fine on other guns.

I'll most likely pick up a laylax barrel base from you as well as the ARS however. 

Fps?

'>

Not exactly a recoil shock m4...but I want one of those in it...see how much better it gets.

Im running a 7.4v 1800mah 35c in the gun.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I think I'm shooting like 250fps with .28g. Honestly, i stopped caring about FPS ever since I used my sopmod running stock in Op: Pine Plains. It's all about the hop up! With the r-hop i was hitting man sized targets at 200 ft even at such slow fps.

My TM 416. Funny how microphones pick up sounds you don't hear in person.

Yes, I did drop my gun on its suppressor. Lol

Currently shooting 347-352 fps with Javelin .20g bbs. Hop is set for AEX .25g bbs. Shoots 295-300 fps with AEX .28g BBs. With the said .25g bbs, it shoots 310-315. ROF is at 12.5 RPS. Not the best but adequate to shoot back with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py

you just need a touch more voltage dont you i think, youve got a lot of space left in that stock.  Try either this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17285__Turnigy_nano_tech_2000mah_2S_15_25C_Lipo_AIRSOFT_Pack.html

The wire joining the packs, if you extend it by an inch the cells will sit a lot lower.  Its tight but it will go, with care full wiring.

OR if you change your wiring to run parallel at the deans connection then get an extra one of what you already have.  Double capacity and slightly faster ampage. 

Nice! I just heard back from echigoya... supposedly, they are having issues with California customs not letting shipments of the m870 in. Annoying.

I may just leave it as it is with the 1200 mah battery. Fitting it over on one side means my cheek is welded over onto the side where the connectors are housed....away from the cells...just in case.

I will look into it though.

Thanks for your input richard :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk