Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Holy *suitcase*. That's amazing. The recoil on one hand is nearly or just as hard as on a GBB pistol. The shimming sounds flawless too. Did the BTC specter get in the way of shimming? Going around the gears is a bit concerning for me but it looks cool. Still,that shoots just beautifully. How many internal organs worth do you think it is?

AOD: Thanks for the detailed write up, especially your solution to getting the wiring in. I like what you've done, although I'm assuming you insulated the exposed wire after taking the photo.

BlackTalon posted on Airsoft Mechanic that the first batch of Spectres will be available for sale at the end of May/early June.

Credit cards at the ready. On your marks, get set…

AOD: Thanks for the detailed write up, especially your solution to getting the wiring in. I like what you've done, although I'm assuming you insulated the exposed wire after taking the photo.

Back when I first started doing that to the wires about 18 months ago, I did, but I tried leaving a few uninsulated without issue. In a regular V2 gearbox the wiring channels are tight enough that the wires don't move around and so shorting isn't a problem.

The TM NextGen V2 gearbox is a lot more open, so while there hasn't been a shorting issue yet I will insulate it before the gearbox gets "finalised", with what, I'm not sure. Hot Glue would be good.

Holy *suitcase*. That's amazing. The recoil on one hand is nearly or just as hard as on a GBB pistol. The shimming sounds flawless too. Did the BTC specter get in the way of shimming? Going around the gears is a bit concerning for me but it looks cool. Still,that shoots just beautifully. How many internal organs worth do you think it is?

Thanks! The shimming is all good now I think. The Spectre didn't require the shimming to be changed at all. The Sector gear's regular clearance to go over the cutoff lever is more than enough to clear the PCB for the Spectre.

The motor, on the other hand, caused more than a little consternation to me with regard to shimming. I had to lower the Bevel gear considerably, and also change the angle of attachment of the pistol grip and shorten the motor by about 3mm. Oh, and change the pinion gear, G&P ones suck eggs.

Edited by Aod

what kind  of upgrades does my gearbox need to shoot 450 to 500 fps , because i wand to build a DMR When the tm hk417 commes out .

in my ohter gun i use now , i shoot 350 fps with a prommy barrer firefly flat hop up, systema magnum motor and an 90 spring .

can a tm next gen Gbox handle 500 fps with the right upgrades ?

also i goging to put a next gen spectre in the guns.

Edited by point7

does anyone have experience with the Hard Recoil Spring from Echigoya? Thinking about trying it and wanted to know whether it there is a noticeable difference in recoil after installing it. I'm getting tired of waiting for the SURUS to come back in stock..

The hard recoil spring isn't intended to make the recoil feel heavier; it's intended to help the recoil system keep up with a gun that's cycling faster than the original specification (e.g., if you're running higher-voltage batteries, have a different gearset and/or motor, etc.). RichardY of Eagle6's opinion is that his spring is tougher.

The SURUS isn't going to come back into stock, I don't think. I e-mailed them for about 8-10 months trying to get a restock date; they told me that their CNC facility was moving and to expect it back in stock in three months; that was about a year ago and Echigoya just stopped replying to queries about it months ago. I had to get a more advanced version custom made. There is also a weight-up kit available on WGC - the Gun Master Upgrade - but nobody's sure what it weighs, let alone how it performs.

• Like 1

The hard recoil spring isn't intended to make the recoil feel heavier; it's intended to help the recoil system keep up with a gun that's cycling faster than the original specification (e.g., if you're running higher-voltage batteries, have a different gearset and/or motor, etc.). RichardY of Eagle6's opinion is that his spring is tougher.

The SURUS isn't going to come back into stock, I don't think. I e-mailed them for about 8-10 months trying to get a restock date; they told me that their CNC facility was moving and to expect it back in stock in three months; that was about a year ago and Echigoya just stopped replying to queries about it months ago. I had to get a more advanced version custom made. There is also a weight-up kit available on WGC - the Gun Master Upgrade - but nobody's sure what it weighs, let alone how it performs.

What do you reckon would be be the better spring for a sopmod running on 7.4v 20C lipos? Eagle6 or other?

Or is a 7.4.v not making much cycling speed difference than a standard battery

Edited by bettyblue84

cheers. i'll stick to 7.4v for now.

shame about the SURUS..

Any RS or GBBr one with a little bit of dremelling/filing to widen the hole.  I've got a fairly basic airsoft one with a QD hole right in the middle attaches to my 12.5" SOCOM, small amount of metal work and it's rock solid on there, pretty happy with it considering there's no OOTB product for the TM EBBr line that does the same thing.

Edit - That's assuming you mean one that attaches to the rear of the lower.

Edited by CKinnerley

Any RS or GBBr one with a little bit of dremelling/filing to widen the hole.  I've got a fairly basic airsoft one with a QD hole right in the middle attaches to my 12.5" SOCOM, small amount of metal work and it's rock solid on there, pretty happy with it considering there's no OOTB product for the TM EBBr line that does the same thing.

Edit - That's assuming you mean one that attaches to the rear of the lower.

When you say no OOTB for the TM EBBr line...

p_option_120430153705.jpg

Or did you mean a different type to that one?

Marui's one is very good, although it does mean you can't fully collapse the stock.

Any RS or GBBr one with a little bit of dremelling/filing to widen the hole

+1 on that, why spend the extra for the dedicated plate / clamps (and limited option) when it doesn't take much work to file a real steel / GBBR ones to fit, although I would recommend doing something about the bits you have filed if you've gone for a steel plate, as I went for the Magpul asap plate which I filed for my SOPMOD, after a while it almost rusted shut, took a little while to get off and clean up, could have avoided it if I had treated it straight away filing it. 

Edited by blobface

+1 on that, why spend the extra for the dedicated plate / clamps (and limited option) when it doesn't take much work to file a real steel / GBBR ones to fit, although I would recommend doing something about the bits you have filed if you've gone for a steel plate, as I went for the Magpul asap plate which I filed for my SOPMOD, after a while it almost rusted shut, took a little while to get off and clean up, could have avoided it if I had treated it straight away filing it.

That's exactly why it's worth spending the extra for a dedicated one. The non next gen ones just have a round hole they don't have flat sides to prevent the stock tube rotating which means there's a chance to tighten it and twist the tube and tear the wires.

*link* 

*message*

:rolleyes:

:D

I actually own the laylax dedicated one as well as the clamp version, I got a RS to file solely for stylistic reasons, but come on now let's be realistic, if you have files and wax / lacquer, it's a 5-10 minutes job, and if the look you're after simply isn't available for the dedicated version, it's a no brainer. 

Edited by blobface

All my SOCOMs have GBBr sling points adapted to fit pretty much as soon as they came out the boxes, no problems at all in however many years I've owned them.  The airsoft ones specially made for the SOPMOD family are great for those who maybe lack a dremel/vice etc but they're not 'the' option at the behest of everything else.  As above, I pick parts to a large extent for looks and the sling plates on the market for these guns right now don't fit my personal criteria at all.  Great option for many, certainly not for every single person however.

Or did you mean a different type to that one?

Marui's one is very good, although it does mean you can't fully collapse the stock.

I was talking about plates that fit between the castle nut and the lower, the TM option is pretty good and for those who don't have the right tool and have no inclination to buy it/remove the buffer tube it's very handy.  Personally I find it damn ugly and I like being able to fully collapse the stock, but for anyone that wants the quickest and easiest possible solution then it's probably the best one out there.

• Like 1

Yup that's correct I have to think about those that don't have dremel vice, files, paint, laquor and of course time ;)

The problem is that the first reply to 95% of first time posters asking what sling points will fit is "any" while technically true with the right tools not everyone wants to.

Ideally there would be loads of sling points in many varrietys for tm Sopmod specifically to cover people's tastes but I garrenty even if someone one took the time and money to make those I garrenty you the first comment would be get a gbbr sling mount it's £10 cheaper..

For some reason when it comes to sling points on our 500 pound guns, if it's more than a tenner it's ridiculous.

Yup that's correct I have to think about those that don't have dremel vice, files, paint, laquor and of course time ;)

Of course you do, but the point we're making is your post kinda comes across as if it's somehow 'wrong' to fit something other than the specific proprietary part.  We're just saying there's various options around and the mods needed to the RS and GBBr plates are not that significant.  You make it sound like it takes ages and a ton of kit is necessary when that isn't the case, you can fit a GBB airsoft plate with nothing but a hand file; they're generally not steel so the rust issues won't occur.

For some reason when it comes to sling points on our 500 pound guns, if it's more than a tenner it's ridiculous.

I'm sure as a retailer you've got a lot more experience and time spent talking about the system than I have so I'm more than happy to bow to your knowledge, but I don't tend to see that so much with these guns personally.  Airsofters as a rule are incredibly tight fisted no doubt, but most TM recoil owners seem to be fairly accepting of the fact that products (especially ones made in small quantities for a somewhat-niche gun) do cost money.

Edited by CKinnerley
  • Like 1