Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Personally, if you're opening the box up to install the Spectre, then I'd drop some hornbill gears in there (or Prometheus, if you're feeling rich) to pre-empt the stock ones breaking and possibly an E6 M100 spring or similar. Nothing else *needs* doing. Original barrel/hop are good as is.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Personally, if you're opening the box up to install the Spectre, then I'd drop some hornbill gears in there (or Prometheus, if you're feeling rich) to pre-empt the stock ones breaking and possibly an E6 M100 spring or similar. Nothing else *needs* doing. Original barrel/hop are good as is.

Yeah this is my thinking. I worry though. If I change the gears and spring, is everything else still compatible? i.e won't I then need new bushings, cylinders/pistons and so on as a result of the extra strain from the new spring and higher torque gears

I don't think you need to worry. I mean, new spring won't be putting that much extra strain on. No need for high torque gears - the spring doesn't require them and you don't need them for the response because you'll have the Spectre. Piston/piston head would depend on how efficiently you take the existing spring out, since it's kind of a one piece with the piston. I ripped mine out from the back so it wasn't strictly necessary but you may find it easier just to get new ones and not bother with any of that.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know, it all seems right instald with no bad things as far as i can see in the gearbox.

no bad wires just nothing , it fired a my mag completly empty but it did not detect the mag was empty and then i smeld somthing burned so the fet burnd up.

• 2 weeks later...

After some initial problems I managed mine to work.. the small trigger switch was some kind of 'stuck' within the housing and caused a 'fire-loop' (trigger was always pressed)

It was not as easy to install as I thought and the instructions are not very clear in some way.

ok mine just fried , the switch for the empty mag detection fried up .

i dont know what went wrong 

http://i60.tinypic.com/2jb14yp.jpg

If you haven't already, contact BTC directly via their website for warranty assistance.

http://www.btcairsoft.com/contact

:)

My recommendation for "base level" upgrades for a TM Recoil M4 are;

SHS Gears

Prometheus sintered bushings

Angle of Engagement correction (preferably sorbothane)

A fast High-Torque Motor (With Neodymium magnets)

Those alone will deliver a substantial upgrade in performance and reliability. when combined with a SPECTRE, the gun's basically done until/unless you strip the piston.

Edited by Aod

Hey chaps, I've just dropped the spectre into mine and love it. Safe doesn't seem to be working but not sure I can be bothered to open it up again to look.

Anyways, I'm running an eagle6 m90 with various other upgrades and a longer barrel, after a full clean and regrease it's now shooting 360.

I need to drop 10-15 off and wasn't sure how much of the spring I need to clip. Or if there is an easier way to drop the fps. Anyone done the same?

If you've fitted a tightbore barrel, you could replace it with the stock 6.08. That'd probably drop it down 10-15fps. Or as you say, clip the spring. Probably start with quarter of a coil and go from there. You can always take more off, but you can't put any back... Barrel easier, spring cheaper - take your pick.

Hey chaps, I've just dropped the spectre into mine and love it. Safe doesn't seem to be working but not sure I can be bothered to open it up again to look.

Are you using the stock Plastic selector plate? If so you can rectify the problem by either buying the expensive prometheus metal plate or by building up epoxy (I find Araldite Metal 2k works great for this) on the part of the trigger that gets blocked by the selector plate and shaping the lump so that it prevents the trigger from tripping the microswitch when on safe. I had to do it about a week ago to a TM SCAR-H for Wildecard.

• Like 1

It's not the stock plate, but don't think it's prometheus.  Was ages ago i upgraded it, laylax i think perhaps.

Well lowering the fps worked, came down to 350 for the game on sat.  Mosfet seemed fine (ignoring lack of safety) for chrono, however 10 minutes later handed it to a mate to show off and both semi and full were shooting single shots only.  Seemed to have lost programming or something.  I hadn't touched the battery between chrono and this.

Went back, reprogrammed 3 round burst, all seemed fine.  Left the gun all morning as was using my Kriss, took it out in the afternoon, got all the way into game, both semi and full were now only firing in 3 rnd burst.  Then it made a horrific grinding noise after which i put it down quick.

I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet to see whats wrong, noise it made sounded like the piston had gone, but am running a promy polycarb piston in there and i thought they were tough as nails.  So not looking forward to opening her up.  I don't want to know what damage i have done lol.

It's not the stock plate, but don't think it's prometheus.  Was ages ago i upgraded it, laylax i think perhaps.

Prometheus is a sub-brand of Laylax, or vice versa, or some other arrangement. They're effectively the same company, at any rate. I use the upgraded plate and a Spectre too, and it doesn't seem to cause issues.

Will do soon as I have an idea of what went wrong snoopy.

Chances are it's actually my selector that's broken silver, seem to remember the screw that holds it on not being all that strong anymore, may have twisted the plastic circle bit pushes the selector plate.

My biggest worry is that I cocked up somewhere in my rewire job. Changed the spectre to front wired as I couldn't work out how to push all those wires through to the back. Had to cut the wires to add flat connectors so it would go through the ris locking nut.

Ah cheers, that is good to know. My basic electrical knowledge was telling me that connecting close or at the deans end was no different but didn't want to risk anything.

Now just got to work out where to connect it that doesn't get in the way of the trigger, or empty mag system, or hop -.-

Well lack of semi was due to the bit that connects with the selector plate on the trigger slipping passed and touching the fire button.  Trigger i have isn't TM as it broke so guess the specs aren't exactly the same.  Popped a shim on the trigger to push it into the gearbox and reduce wiggle room, seems to have worked.

Other issues still seem to remain after a full check.  Looks like the terrible grinding was the motor spinning on the lowest gear.  Probably going to need a new motor soon as the teeth didn't look great.  Ok for now though.  I posted about the strange loss of programming i'm getting in the spectre review thread.