Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

No - not unless you buy a NexGen gun that was sold with an ambidextrous selector originally. Those are (AFAIK) the SCARs, the HK416s, and maybe the G36s too? Guns that didn't come with an ambidextrous selector assembly (the non-HK416 AR-15s, the Kalashnikovs) cannot be retrofitted with one.

No - not unless you buy a NexGen gun that was sold with an ambidextrous selector originally. Those are (AFAIK) the SCARs, the HK416s, and maybe the G36s too? Guns that didn't come with an ambidextrous selector assembly (the non-HK416 AR-15s, the Kalashnikovs) cannot be retrofitted with one.

What's the limitation? Is it the gearbox or just the receiver? Otherwise you could presumably pick up a 416 lower and do it that way.

the lower is 2mm wider to allow for 1mm either side of the extra selector.  the gearbox shell is the same as the m4.  Its the pistol grip which holds the ambi cog in place at the back.  theoretically it could work on an m4.  but you might have to overcome the lack of space issue.  probably sanding to get 1mm back.  And obviously the right side doesnt have the part the gold pin would "click" into and also the stopper to manually stopper it being turned to much.

tm-416-31_1.jpg

Link to HK416D parts diagram - http://eagle6.co.uk/shop/info-interactive-ngrs-hk416d

Edited by Richard Y
  • Like 2

I'm a lefty, and I wish the NexGens all came with ambidextrous selectors. If you're going to have to change the design of all of the parts anyway, which the Recoil Shocks basically do compared to the typical V2-based gun, and therefore you're not forced to have the selector assembly maintain backwards compatibility with older designs, why not design the ambidextrous selector in from the beginning? It's a real disappointment, to be honest.

I keep hoping that someone (Prime or similar) will start making billet CNC'd aftermarket receiver sets for the Recoil Shocks, like they already do for the WA-pattern GBBRs, and that those receivers will include ambidextrous selectors, and it keeps not happening.

• Like 2

Tried a Guarder Infinite Torque in one of my SOCOMs...

*fruitcage* awful, I've never heard an electric gun *fruitcage* howl and scream so much.  No matter where I adjusted it, horrible.  No discernible increase in semi response and the auto rate went through the floor, it was like firing a GPMG with the gas closed down to the point just before it runs away on you.  Kind of cool in a weird way having the sort of steady thump on full auto but it just felt really wrong.

Stock motor back in, much much happier gun.

Stock pistol grip, gears, and motor base plate? Brand new motor? Really odd as the past two infinite motor installs (in a RECCE and a 416 Devgru) with those setup yielded with excellent results. Quiet/smooth and snappy. ROF with a 7.4v did not increase the ROF by much.

I did have to screw in the set screw farther into the base plate. Stock everything save for a spring upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

? strange thing happened yesteraday, as i was trying to put the lonex 5.9mm bushings with lonex gears for next gen, it was tight as hell, even with shims or not. When i put the magic box bushings, magic all moved freely as it would.Keep that in mind guys. Also the original cylinder head was loosing compression at the base of the metal rod? where the nozzle goes. Another one as i tried to unscrew the original piston head according to the eagle's videos i had to remove the little cap in order to have access to the screw. I did that for 3 different pistons....