Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

So I lost my outer barrel locking ring somehow.  The only place I could source one was the eagle6, but it seems out of stock since I've started looking.  Anyone else have a place to source it?

The only other options I've found is the pro-arms barrel that comes with it built into the barrel for $75 or potentially this one http://echigoya-guns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=353  ?  Or anyone have a TM/ARMY one they would want to part with?  

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

After an extremely long build and preparation period, I'm happy to announce that PureSilver's TM Recoil SOPMOD M4 is FINALLY complete. In 2011 PureSilver came to me with this gun totally stock back when I worked at Pro Airsoft Supplies and from there we started the long and arduous process of making it the best TM Recoil M4 money can buy.

While it wouldn't be correct to say that there are no TM parts left, PS and I have done our best to remove as many of them as possible, and this is the end result;

fdeLpZo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H23zQdr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q4CA5Fa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MAj8YDw.jpg

I think it's safe to say that this is the best TM Recoil M4 in the world at this time. :D

• Like 2

lol I was about to say, it looks pretty similar to how it started, which is exactly how I wanted it. To my eye the Block I SOPMOD is the definitive AR-15, so I didn't want to stray away from that with new rails and furniture or a paintjob. Understated is preferable to overstated for me.

Plus, I'm far more interested in how something shoots than how it looks. The bulk of the changes have been inside, where it counts. It's not an exaggeration to say that aside from a few screws, only the gearbox shell and upper receiver are original. The gun's muzzle energy, ROF and consistency are all improved. It kicks harder, is made of much higher-quality metals and plastic, and weighs more in all the right places.

ETA: And the hop-up unit, charging handle, bolt release and trigger are OEM. But that's about it!

Edited by PureSilver

lol I was about to say, it looks pretty similar to how it started, which is exactly how I wanted it. To my eye the Block I SOPMOD is the definitive AR-15, so I didn't want to stray away from that with new rails and furniture or a paintjob. Understated is preferable to overstated for me.

Plus, I'm far more interested in how something shoots than how it looks. The bulk of the changes have been inside, where it counts. It's not an exaggeration to say that aside from a few screws, only the gearbox shell and upper receiver are original. The gun's muzzle energy, ROF and consistency are all improved. It kicks harder, is made of much higher-quality metals and plastic, and weighs more in all the right places.

ETA: And the hop-up unit, charging handle, bolt release and trigger are OEM. But that's about it!

Is there a parts list or a development thread somewhere for this?

To say it's the best and not give the details, criminal I say :)

• Like 1

Man.. that's such a rude question, I often try to bury that sort of things in the deepest recesses of my brain on a few of my "builds"...

Hence the smiley. I suspect its a number that would make me cry. The question is (and only Puresilver can answer this ) was it worth it?

Here's a parts list from memory:

Gearbox/Internals;

BlackTalonConcepts Pre-release SPECTRE next-gen MOSFET

Laylax/Prometheus TM NextGen Gearset (original torque)

Laylax/Prometheus 6mm Steel sintered bushings

Laylax/Prometheus TM NextGen Piston

Laylax/Prometheus TM NextGen Pistonhead

Laylax/Prometheus TM NextGen Spring-guide

Laylax/Prometheus TM NextGen Cylinderhead

Laylax/Prometheus TM NextGen Cylinder

Laylax/Prometheus TM NextGen Nozzle

Laylax/Prometheus TM NextGen selector-plate

Eagle6 TM NextGen M90 spring (possibly M100?)

Eagle6 TM NextGen M4 uprated recoil weight spring

G&P M170S Devil Jet Ultra-custom motor

Custom-Made Solid-brass recoil weight

Externals:

Laylax Blank/Unmarked Metal lower frame

Guarder steel fire selector

VFC M4 Pistol grip

Laylax/FirstFactory locking trigger pin

Airsoft Research Syndicate CNC aluminium Buffer tube and Buffer tube cap

Airsoft Research Syndicate CNC Steel buffer-tube castle-nut

Lonex Crane Stock (possibly subject to change)

G&P Delta-Ring assembly

Inokatsu KAC RAS

Guarder Steel 14.5" M4 Outer Barrel

Custom-made chamber block for Guarder Barrel

G&P Handguard Cap

G&P Front-sight-base

G&P Front Sling Loop

Lonex M4 Flashider (Possibly Subject to change)

Let me know if I've missed anything PureSilver ;)

Edited by Aod
  • Like 1

Well... Deep breath, here goes - I think this is everything. The gun was a bone-stock Tokyo Marui SOPMOD. It has:

Gearbox:

• BTC Spectre NexGen
  • Eagle6 M90 Mainspring
  • G&P M170S Devil Jet High-Speed High-Torque Motor
  • Prometheus EG Spring Guide
  • Prometheus Stainless-Steel Cylinder Type A
  • Prometheus V2 Aero Cylinder Head
  • Prometheus Sealing Nozzle
  • Prometheus Hard Selector Plate
  • Prometheus Hard Piston
  • Prometheus Hard Piston Head
  • Prometheus EG Hard Torque-Up! Gearset
  • Prometheus Stainless Steel Shims
  • Prometheus 6mm Sintered Alloy Bushings

Recoil Engine:

• ARS CNC Buffer Tube
  • ARS CNC Buffer Tube End Cap
  • ARS CNC Castle Nut
  • Custom-made brass Recoil Weight (~410g, ~135% of the original)
  • Eagle6 Hard Recoil Spring

Externals:

• Cerakote (Armor Black) upper and lower receivers
  • Custom upper receiver, with cloverleaf gas port drilled
  • GHK Carbine-Length Gas Tube
  • Guarder Steel 14.5" M4A1 Outer Barrel with custom Steel Barrel Base
  • Guarder Delta Ring Assembly
  • Guarder Steel Fire Selector
  • G&P Steel DX A2 Front Sight Block w/ Gas Tube Roll Pin
  • Inokatsu KAC RAS
  • Inokatsu Handguard Cap
  • Knight's Armament Company Rail Covers
  • Laylax blank Lower Receiver with custom Colt Defense M4A1 engravings
  • Laylax Trigger Lock Pin
  • Lonex NSWC Sloping-Cheekweld Buttstock
  • VFC A2 Pistol Grip
  • WS Deans Ultra Connector (male)

Still to Come:

• Firefly Hop-Up Rubber & Nub
  • PDI/Prometheus 363mm Inner Barrel
  • KAC QD4-NTSS Flash Hider & Suppressor (I'll probably get Guarder or VFC's)
  • G&G Insight Technology Inc. CVL
  • A new steel Forward Assist. I lost the original and the current replacement is a touch wobbly for my liking.

At last count, this gun owed me about £1,400 - it's probably about £1,600 as it sits with the G&P TA01NSN ACOG and genuine ITI VLI II. It's currently running on 7.4v Vapex butterflies, but I might end up switching to bigger batteries to take advantage of the greater capacity of the Lonex stock over the rather confined TM one.

As to whether or not it's been worth it - it's first skirmish is Longmoor on Sunday. I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by PureSilver

Being a complete Recoil novice (but I'm certain I want this system in my life, next rifle purchase will be either a Recoil or GBBR) I was wondering how viable it would be to swap upper receivers on the Recoil M4s? I ask as I'd like to have in my collection a SOPMOD, Mk18, SPR and a 416.

The SPR I'd probably increase the fps on so that'd be a seperate build as would the 416 (I do like the 416 upper on a M4 base but reckon that might be complicated TM wise potentially) but being able to swap the upper on a M4 to make a SOPMOD or Mk18 as I felt like would be handy.

Of course, getting hold of a spare upper might be difficult.

Edited by Tw1tch

I agree with the fps change being minimal, hence the SPR is definitely going to be a different rifle (but I might also keep it at low FPS and leave an upped fps to something like an EBR, 417 or an SVD), especially as I'm still torn between the solid stock and sliding for that.

In an ideal world I'd have a complete SOPMOD, Mk18 and SPR but I've got to think about costs and space.

Anyway this is all hypothetical at the moment as I'm a way off buying anything big (and the TM Breacher calls too)=

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm baffled by an issue with my PTS PMags. Buddy has been using my Sopmod and Pmags, and put G&G 0.28g in them. and in 2 days of training managed to jam 3 of them Pmags. Apparently, somehow a bb gets past the "double ball follower" in the magazine, or to the middle of it, and it doesn't move afterwards.

Anyone experienced this before? I've been using Sopmods since they appeared and even gave the Pmags some good runs, using exclusively or almost Green Devil 0.25 Bio BBs. Never had this before.

Ideas?