Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

i´ve been using a custom sopmod for a while with an asap sling plate fitted in the buffer tube,i´ve heard that can cause problems with the original  buffer tube and receiver, and eventually  they must be replaced for cnc ones to withstand the weight and abuse.is that true?,which options do we have in terms of brands with those cnc´s?.

As to whether or not it's been worth it - it's first skirmish is Longmoor on Sunday. I'll let you know how I get on.

Not much of an update, I'm afraid - I may or may not have accidentally broken the feed nozzle off the hop-up unit (in fairness, it was only glued back on after the previous owner broke it) before I'd had much of a chance to shoot it, so the gun is now awaiting a Wii-Tech or Lonex replacement, which gives me an ideal opportunity to switch in a new nub, rubber and probably a Prometheus or PDI inner barrel.

I can confirm that the gun's recoil is so violent that it shook the roll pins out of the trigger guard and buttstock, though, and it's really earsplittingly-in-need-of-ear-plugs loud.

i´ve been using a custom sopmod for a while with an asap sling plate fitted in the buffer tube,i´ve heard that can cause problems with the original  buffer tube and receiver, and eventually  they must be replaced for cnc ones to withstand the weight and abuse.is that true?

That's sort of true. The problem is that the castle nut which retains the buffer tube is (was, at least) made of the same soft metal as the buffer tube itself, which meant that it had a tendency first to work loose under recoil, and then when loose to allow the recoil to destroy the threading of the buffer tube.

which options do we have in terms of brands with those cnc´s?.

We don't, really, I don't think. Replacing the receiver with a Laylax unit is relatively easy, but it's a bit pointless - the threading problem is not with the receiver, but with the buffer tube. There used to be CNC'd buffer tube sets available from Echigoya, but they've slowly been going out of stock until only the buffer tube itself (admittedly the most important part by far) is still available. You can get steel castle nuts - not the steel ARS one that went with the buffer tube, that's out of stock, but there are others, including one by First Factory - which are supposed to help somewhat, but it's really a case of preventative maintenance. Keep the nut - whether it's stock or aftermarket - tight, and you shouldn't have too many problems. Once the threads are f***ed, though, there's not much that can be done to repair them.

Edited by PureSilver
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else had the problem with the bolt stop engaging only when shooting fullauto?

I installed the BTC Spectre and initially had problems with the cables blocking the levers, but after shortening the data cable and soldering it to the battery calbe directly at the gearbox I'm pretty sure the cables don't obstruct anything anymore. Also some of my teammates have the same problem but without a Mosfet. We also tested both the TM and PTS Sopmod magazines with no difference.

What could it be?

I had a non-functioning bolt stop at my first install of my Spectre. I disassembled the gun and put a bit of shrink tube on the lever to make sure it pushes the switch, just to be sure(tough according to BlackTalon the switches need minimal push so it might be not needed but then again I have a custom recoil weight and it really kicks the gun around). After that it worked well.

Before the Spectre it happened a lot of times that the bolt catch would not engage at certain times. It seemed to me that when it was cold the bolt catch would not work most of the time as when I got home the bolt catch would work again in the warm room. Maybe the metal parts were affected by the temperature?

• 1 month later...

Just curious what is the difference with 416 internals and the sopmod internals? Are they fulyl 1:1 compatible? Also for the buffer tube assembly, recoil spring and rings are the same as well?

Also, is there anyway to get the magpul moe pistol grips to fit without the metal base plate? I cant find those anywhere

Just curious what is the difference with 416 internals and the sopmod internals? [...] Also for the buffer tube assembly, recoil spring and rings are the same as well?

The HK416 has ambidextrous selector levers that the SOPMOD doesn't, and specific parts including a wider receiver set to accommodate this feature. Everything to the rear of the receiver (castle nut, buffer tube, buffer tube cap, recoil weight guide, recoil weight and recoil weight spring) is cross-compatible between the HK416 and SOPMOD.

Are they fulyl 1:1 compatible?

With real AR-15s? No, not at all. The guns are not true 1:1; all AEGs (with the exception of the PTW-platform) are thicker than the real thing and usually off in other dimensions, too.

Also, is there anyway to get the magpul moe pistol grips to fit without the metal base plate? I cant find those anywhere

Where there's a will - and chemical metal - there's a way. However, it is entirely not worth your time. Find the base plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Gamed my TM recoil with BTC Spectre today in the rain. It wasn't a torrential downpour or anything but rainy.

Anyway I got my gear home and wiped everything off with a dry towel. All seemed good.

About 2-3 hours later my gun starts firing full auto by itself in the gun bag. Had to run over and pull the battery to get it to stop. If I attach a battery, it keeps shooting full auto on its own - I can't get the mosfet to enter programming mode and pulling the trigger does nothing but speed the ROF up even more.

Is there any way this is NOT a fried mosfet? And if not, suggestions?

Gamed my TM recoil with BTC Spectre today in the rain. It wasn't a torrential downpour or anything but rainy.

Anyway I got my gear home and wiped everything off with a dry towel. All seemed good.

About 2-3 hours later my gun starts firing full auto by itself in the gun bag. Had to run over and pull the battery to get it to stop. If I attach a battery, it keeps shooting full auto on its own - I can't get the mosfet to enter programming mode and pulling the trigger does nothing but speed the ROF up even more.

Is there any way this is NOT a fried mosfet? And if not, suggestions?

Jesus man you know better not to run an AEG in rain. Rains been pouring pretty bad in Toronto so assuming up where you are is worse.

It really wasn't all that bad. One the scale of 1 to 10 (1 being drizzle, 10 being instantly soaked) this was maybe a 3 at most. Not enough rain so that it would be dripping from the gun when holding it at the ready.

I've run a slew of other AEGs in worse conditions without issues, but none with a Spectre FET.

Never, ever, store your LiPo's in the gun, connected.

The classic LiPo fire happens because wires shorts inside the rifle.

Now imagine that happening while the rifle is inside a cloth bag in your car, or worse, under the bed at home while you're in a different room. This is how houses burn down.

With computerized relays (aka, always draining power), it can also kill the batteries when you forget it and put the rifle away. ASCU is quite guilty of this.

• Like 1

Good advice there - it's not something I isially do, just started futzing with my gear and my AEG after getting home from the game.

Hmm, sounds like the fet is zipped, but I would contact Frank @ BTC and mail it in for a warranty service. Maybe something was wet inside :\, maybe try the gun doc first? X_X

It *might* sort itself out if you allow the gun to completely dry out at room temperature for a couple of days (without the battery connected).

But if I were you I'd contact BTC and ask for their advice. The customer service they offer is excellent and I'm sure they'll do everything they can to help. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they saw your initial post and messaged you straight away.

Jesus man you know better not to run an AEG in rain. Rains been pouring pretty bad in Toronto so assuming up where you are is worse.

Is this a joke? (seriously). I've heard of PTWs not liking the rain but I can't say I've ever heard of this being a thing. 

Is this a joke? (seriously). I've heard of PTWs not liking the rain but I can't say I've ever heard of this being a thing. 

:D

On a side note.. if your FET was smoked, I don't even think the gun would shoot, might be malfunctioning. Maybe a slight chance it was affected by some water?