Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Is this a joke? (seriously). I've heard of PTWs not liking the rain but I can't say I've ever heard of this being a thing. 

Like Im going space says, the reason PTWs and Spectres don't like rain is identical. Typical AEGs have bare trigger contacts and little else by way of electrical components; a large gap separates the contacts. FCU-equipped guns (e.g. PTWs, and AEGs sporting Spectres and ASCUs) have much more complex electronics inside that are much more susceptible to short-circuits. I've played with my Spectre-equipped SOPMOD in the rain a few times, but I'm conscious that there are a lot of high-voltage unprotected electronics inside.

Sounds like the spectre it's toast. Mine has done that and it's going to be posted back for repair. One of my teammates had a similar thing with a recoil,spectre (mines a normal v2)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yours did that after playing in the rain? Or just out of the blue?

Like Im going space says, the reason PTWs and Spectres don't like rain is identical. Typical AEGs have bare trigger contacts and little else by way of electrical components; a large gap separates the contacts. FCU-equipped guns (e.g. PTWs, and AEGs sporting Spectres and ASCUs) have much more complex electronics inside that are much more susceptible to short-circuits. I've played with my Spectre-equipped SOPMOD in the rain a few times, but I'm conscious that there are a lot of high-voltage unprotected electronics inside.

So you've played in the rain with no issues? 

Huh I played several times in rain with my TM416 without problem. I don't even think the rain can get inside the gearbox. Are you sure there was no cable damage? I managed to damage mine several times due to the small room under the buffer nut and if the bare cabel touches anything metal(or water) it will short circuit and the gun starts shooting as soon as there is a battery on it.

• 2 months later...

Anybody successfully mounted a QD receiver end plate?  I fitted a MAG branded GBBr one to my mid-length SOCOM a while back, but only just now tried to attach a sling.  Turns out there's not enough clearance between the hole for the QD and the castle nut for said sling to actually fit in to place.  The plate itself seems reasonable quality and dremelling it out to fit as I'd done with GBB ASAPs in the past went fine, but I'm guessing that either TM castle nuts are a little larger than usual or the QD socket in the plate sits a bit higher than usual (or a bit of both).  Pretty annoying given that grinding out the insides of these things can be something of a chore I must admit.

:D

On a side note.. if your FET was smoked, I don't even think the gun would shoot, might be malfunctioning. Maybe a slight chance it was affected by some water?

If the FET is smoked it generally keeps firing without the trigger being pulled.  I have had a few runaway guns which has had the mosfets fried and the mosfets start smoking and melting the stock.  One actually bursts into flames.  The reasons they failed varies, from static electricity, rain, or just random field use.

I have now removed all mosfets from my rifles, but I run expensive motors, good wiring and good quality trigger sets so at 11.1v the contact erosion is non-existent.  Even at M130 springs on 7.4v the ROF is around 15rps, so is more than sufficient for gaming.

Anybody successfully mounted a QD receiver end plate?  I fitted a MAG branded GBBr one to my mid-length SOCOM a while back, but only just now tried to attach a sling.  Turns out there's not enough clearance between the hole for the QD and the castle nut for said sling to actually fit in to place.  The plate itself seems reasonable quality and dremelling it out to fit as I'd done with GBB ASAPs in the past went fine, but I'm guessing that either TM castle nuts are a little larger than usual or the QD socket in the plate sits a bit higher than usual (or a bit of both).  Pretty annoying given that grinding out the insides of these things can be something of a chore I must admit.

? personally put one from the bolt series but also required some dremelling, but it sits and works like a charm.

So, does anyone make lowers and tubes with decent alloys? Everyone in our Assoc. that has one has had problems with breakages.

The crappy Zamak they are made of is actually the thing stopping me from having one, after all these years.

So, does anyone make lowers and tubes with decent alloys?

I have the ARS buffer tube and the Laylax lower, and am quite happy with both.