Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

been there done that .. trust us the spring is too long.. cut more off it.  ive ran sopmod m4 on a 1200 mah 7.4v at 450 fps with just shs gears and an shs hi torque motor... so yours certainly should be doing better. 

Remember just because it works doesn't mean its still not to tight either the shimming or the spring length..  the spring I used was fringing tiny.. it was shorter than a midgets penis but I used a cut down m170 I think if memory serves.

go big on the spring but cut it extra short. 

or order up one of my m120s that will get you 400 ish fps

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

It is either spring or torque I can work with either.  I have double torque gears coming to test the theory.  

SHS motors gives good torque, Systema Magnums are a better balance for speed vs torque.  The M120S I am using is the same length as the default spring and it works fine on 7.4v with a 16rps, until I pull and release near the end of the cycle.  This is why I still think it is torque, rather than spring length, but will test when the gears come.

I wasn't happy with the longish trigger response anyways, so I took the sector gear and milled off a sear, I have modded a V2 all steel toothed piston, to work on another M120S.  400fps on the mark with faster trigger response and no lock ups.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Tried a Dytac BCM pistol grip on one of my SOCOMs, no luck sadly.  I could get the gun to run (just) but no matter which height I set the motor at it was making a horrible screeching noise, definitely not right.

Pretty gutted as I was stoked for switching my 10.5" gun with FG furniture over to Grey with one of these grips, but sadly not it seems (not currently aware of anyone else making an AEG pistol grip in grey).

Tried a Dytac BCM pistol grip on one of my SOCOMs, no luck sadly.  I could get the gun to run (just) but no matter which height I set the motor at it was making a horrible screeching noise, definitely not right.

Pretty gutted as I was stoked for switching my 10.5" gun with FG furniture over to Grey with one of these grips, but sadly not it seems (not currently aware of anyone else making an AEG pistol grip in grey).

This is also my plan as I can't find anymore Magpul ones with the right base plate.

I saw a post on one of the TM Next Gen FB groups where someone did manage to fit this to theirs, however, I can't find the post anymore.

They did say it needed some modding to the grip though.

Be very interested to see that post.  I had to file mine near the top on the inside since it lacked the cut-outs to accommodate the bushings/bearings (? no idea) around whichever gear is at the bottom of the GB, and after that it physically fitted on just fine.  As I say I could get it to run, but not to an acceptable standard at all and I've no idea how to diagnose the issue in terms of figuring out in which direction the motor angle need to be moved to get a better mesh with the GB and a smooth, non-screechy cycle.

Be very interested to see that post.  I had to file mine near the top on the inside since it lacked the cut-outs to accommodate the bushings/bearings (? no idea) around whichever gear is at the bottom of the GB, and after that it physically fitted on just fine.  As I say I could get it to run, but not to an acceptable standard at all and I've no idea how to diagnose the issue in terms of figuring out in which direction the motor angle need to be moved to get a better mesh with the GB and a smooth, non-screechy cycle.

Found it

w2WKy9.jpg

Hi guys, 

I'm debating the acquisition of one of Tokyo Marui's M4A1 SOCOM AEGs; however, before I do so I was wondering if anyone has experience with swapping the stock & handguard with those you'd find on a G&P XM177E2 (see below).

http://airsoftzone.co.uk/gp-delivery-september-2015/car15-xm177-style-m4-stock-gp

http://airsoftzone.co.uk/gp-delivery-september-2015/xm177-style-front-handguard-set-gp

If anyone can offer some insight, I'd really appreciate it. 

With thanks, 

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I recently got myself a TM Sopmod.

so this weekend i went to a game en talked to another player.

He gave me a eagle6 m100 spring en Prometheus spring guide to upgrade the fps.

After some research most people say youll lose the TM magic when upgrading the gun.

So the things i want to know before upgrading the gun are

Will the upgrades decrease the range or accuracy of the gun ?

Do i need to upgrade the gearbox with a m100 spring ?

Thanks,

Sjaak

After some research most people say youll lose the TM magic when upgrading the gun.

This is rubbish spread by people that can't tech properly. Know your limitations - if you don't think you can do a better job than TM did in assembling, shimming, lubricating and tuning the gun, don't open it. If, on the other hand, you are confident (or, as in my case, can convince somebody else to be competent) then go for it.

It's not difficult to improve TM's guns with high-quality aftermarket parts and very careful attention to detail. It is also not difficult to ruin TM's guns with poor fitting, low-quality parts and/or poor attention to detail.

Will the upgrades decrease the range or accuracy of the gun ?

Do i need to upgrade the gearbox with a m100 spring ?

The upgrades by themselves will probably slightly increase the range of the gun without affecting accuracy. However, you will prematurely wear the gearbox somewhat too. That said, everything wears out eventually, and you may enjoy 50,000rds at 350fps (followed by inexpensive gearbox upgrades) more than 100,000rds at 300fps.

TM magic LOL.

There isn't much magic really, if you have had experience with teching, there are plenty of guns which outshoot the TMs straight out of the box.  Just that TM has a track record of being consistently above average.

After many years of using everything else, going back to a Marui Next gen was kinda both taking a step forward and a step backwards.  Other manufacturers have really stepped up their game in the finishing and materials used in the other guns, so marui is way behind on that.  The accuracy and range of the next gen wasn't even as good as the Marui AEPs or any of the other AEG manufacturers but the smoothness and the "recoil" impulse is miles better than the BOLT or G&P recoil guns.  Still lead the industry in innovative designs, but with GBBRs actually being more accurate/consistent/superior range out of the box, Marui magic is slowly fading...

Edited by 3vi1-D4n