Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

OMG, I've picked up the receiver no more than 2 hrs ago and you guys have already found the pix and posted it up here ;-)!? What I can say is that the lower is -very- well CNCed, very light (aluminium!?), and just very well finished overall. I've not tried swapping my receivers yet so can't comment on fit. However I did see a model hanging on the rack and so guess no fitment issues - having said that, the model is probably Echigoya's CNCed buffer tube, & (soon to be released) upper receiver too so naturally no fit issues there.

I've further had my lower receiver customised by someone else to put on the Magpul logo, etc. So all up, my lower receiver is somewhat quite a bit more expensive than the Laylax version even. In addition I got the following info from Echigoya :-

1) the lower receivers won't be exported and will be for Japan only. i.e. for overseas customers, your option is still only the Laylax ones. Note, Echigoya may (or may not) change their stance on this in the future

2) all the receivers you see in the pix, are already sold :D.

3) don't bother asking Echigoya to custom a registered trademark on the lower receiver. They naturally don't want to feel the wrath of Magpul. I haven't asked if they were willing to do some personalised (non-trademarked) logo.

4) upper receivers in the Vltor MUR style should be coming up soon - presumably for local Japanese market too

On a separate note, about the enhanced SURUS, if you guys are waiting for that, you may have to wait a lot longer. They've had durability issues with the prototype (the one I put on video last month). So don't expect that to be released anytime soon. So for now, the only available 3rd party recoil is still only the SURUS - of which has been performing very well in the past 2 games I've played.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Hey anakchan. could you buy 1 more lower receiver to echigoya and sell it to me? damn. so wanted the lower cause the thread of my sopmod starts to loose. please post the picture after you engrave the receiver. i wanted to see how does it look like. i have already email direct the ARS if they have extras lying in thier table. now waiting for their response

Edited by zaimon

Any ETA? The last time I emailed them, they said that it's way too early to even give an estimated date.

It still is too early i reckon, but the that was while he was prototyping the v3. Once the v3 is done and in production. The whole point of none retail sales is to free up time which believe me it takes ages packing up orders. Hes waiting for v3 production prototypes now, once they are done there will be a proper shipment. Then im sure he will do the new v2 sopmod version, if you look on the website hes never removed the new v2 option, its simply a mater of time.

Wow, really digging back into history here. I think I used the regular Madbull barrel nut (rather than the limited edition one for GBB's). Here's some old posts I made of my evolving Sopmod with pix of the DD 9" :-

Overall DD with old Sopmod stock :-

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/158786-initial-impressions-of-the-tm-sopmod-m4-aeg/page__st__100__p__2013059&do=findComment&comment=2013059

DD shim on the lower screws to make sure the ring is flush, and outer barrel custom to make room for the Extreme Fire's SW-AB-Long FET :-

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/158786-initial-impressions-of-the-tm-sopmod-m4-aeg/page__st__480__p__2298963&do=findComment&comment=2298963

7.4V nun-chuck lipo battery fit into the DD 9" :-

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/158786-initial-impressions-of-the-tm-sopmod-m4-aeg/page__st__520__p__2308380&do=findComment&comment=2308380

Since then though, there's been a few minor external changes...e.g. last month I had a UBR fitted onto it and I guess later this week I'll have the Magpul lower receiver put on (or wait for the upper Vltor then do the whole thing in one hit). But in the "Pictures of you in the field or at a game" thread, I had a pix of me with my Sopmod in the field...you can sorta make out the UBR. I may as well put the pix up here too :-

Field.jpg

Edited by AnakChan

sean your some kind of superstar in the photo :P

I did some battery tests the other day you wouldnt believe how much a airsoft motor drains an airsoft battery even with no load,

4amp draw with no load thats 4000mah ever hour with no load on the motor, so a 1200mah nun chuck in the RIS is good for maybe 18 min of constant use.

I know airsoft isnt as simple as that as we only fire a few shots ever few minuits, its just at the time we where discusing nimh drain in sopmod packs and as usual no work was being done in the workshop but lots of airsoft discusion was had :P

By the way we came up with a solution for sopmod packs, 0.1a charge on a imax charger with the max time limit set to off.

After a few hours you can risk maybe going too 1.0amp max but any high and you risk cell damage.

Edited by Richard Y

That's one of my greatest pain points of the DD AR 15 lite rail. It's a PITA to dismantle and and reassemble. In addition with the thick AWG wires and the size of my Extreme Fire SW-Long AB FET, I have to insert/install the outer barrel, barrel shims, barrel lock, etc. in a particular order for it to assemble correctly. I've got the procedure laid out already but still a PITA.

I have a madbull dd mk18 rail on my gun, fit great with 5 shims (also yes the madbull barrel nut fit perfectly fine). Though space wise, I believe it has more space than the lite, plus you can remove the bottom rail. So I'm unsure how well the batteries will fit in there.

Anak - really disappointed that we can't get the lower receiver, I hope they at least release the upper.

I habe a DD ris II 9.5 on my sopmod I just followed the instructions which came with the rail and Voilà!

EDIT: To add the pretty picture.

This is mine right after I attacked it with krylon. It looks a bit different in its current evolution but I don't have any recent pictures.

DSCF0996.jpg

Edited by Banshee_Will

King Arms have discontinued the CASV, so might be a tad tricky to get hold of. That, and yes, even without any rail sections bolted on it's heavier than a lot of modern designs of quad-rail FF handguard.

I really like my King Arms MRF, having something where you can remove the bottom rail is very very handy, so if you're going madbull then I'd advise plumping for a DD design which has that feature... just not the Omega, mine's badly off spec.

Overall of course, for total practicality, the MOE handguards are a winner.