Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Anyone tried to front-wire the SOPMOD for a MOSFET?

A friend and I are finding it very hard to get the wires passed the hop-up... We will try again with some very thin wire.. are there guys who has had the same problem?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

This gun rocks finaly managed to skermish with it. But at teh end of the day these where my problems

1: the fuse blew up can someone tell me why this happens and what fuse does it take becasue on the fuse it says 20A but thats quite powerfull it also says that in the manuel but in my diy shop they dont have these fuses.

2: and it got anoying and maybe reason for fuse blow the butt stock started to wobbel hard core and each time i tightend it the but stock turned to the left and not straight should i lock tight it or just tighten it hard because i see it has started to strip the wires in the stock and that could be the reason for fuse blow.

Thanks any feesback would be great

cheers

This gun rocks finaly managed to skermish with it. But at teh end of the day these where my problems

1: the fuse blew up can someone tell me why this happens and what fuse does it take becasue on the fuse it says 20A but thats quite powerfull it also says that in the manuel but in my diy shop they dont have these fuses.

2: and it got anoying and maybe reason for fuse blow the butt stock started to wobbel hard core and each time i tightend it the but stock turned to the left and not straight should i lock tight it or just tighten it hard because i see it has started to strip the wires in the stock and that could be the reason for fuse blow.

Thanks any feesback would be great

cheers

A 20 amp fuse will work fine, go to an automotive store or electrical components store and you should find what you need there.

I NEVER locktite my receiver extensions on my real weapons but in the case of the sopmod i do. You cannot torque the castle nut to the same ft/lbs rating on the sopmod as you can on the real steel so you need something else to hold it in place. I used blue locktite so i would be able to remove it at a later date. Just a few dabs around the threads will do fine. After you've locktited the extension on go ahead and torque your castle nut without breaking anything. Go slow.

• Like 1

I had a fuse blow in the same circumstances. Lucky for me I have a big supply of 20A fuses ...

mine tightened up fine, just use the proper spanner hold the stock in the right position and tighten it hard, torque setting FT should do it...

you have to regularly check screws on the sopmod, infact alot of the smaller screws id recommend lock tighting becuase of the blow back the vibrations work eveything loose!

Also, to address the question about front wiring. There is VERY little space to be had in the barrel nut area. I was able to barely squeeze my wiring through in order to front wire my gun for use with a MOE handguard.

I would say that trying to fit two additional signal wires in there would be almost impossible. It can be done but its going to be a STUPIDLY tight fit.

Has anyone found a 203 that will fit the barrel of the sopmod yet? :)

Also, can anyone tell me how i can modify the Magpul ASAP slingmount to fit the sopmod? :)

I managed to fit my asap sling mount ot my sopmod. but i had to use the ASAP made for a GBB m4.

you then have to take off around 1mm of material from the inside of the sling mount so that it can fit over the stock tubes threads. the rest should fit fine, mine didnt need any further modding but others may.

Cheers

J.

So I see a few people doing things like forward -wiring their gearboxes on the original M4 SOPMOD w/ crane stock. Would it be better to buy the Carbine version, if you had to do it over again?

Absolutely.

There is no reason whatsoever to front wire a sopmod when you can buy the carbine unless you're hard up for a sopmod stock but even then, due to the price difference you could always go ahead and simply buy a crane stock replica for the same price.

Also, the socom carbines have a different barrel that has a flat cut to better accommodate a mini battery.

I don't see how the fuse could affect performance ... it either works ... or it doesn't - blown. But when it works, its 100% for sure.

Hmmm...maybe not rating but hypothetically speaking, isn't it possible - "poorly made fuse" -> higher resistance -> poor current flow -> poor performance? I know in ASM (Airsoft Mechanics) they guys there are more "particular" to brands and construction of fuses.

• 4 weeks later...
This is one fine Airsoft gun. I recomend it to everyone. Here are some good vids on mentence and fixing stuff for the SOPMOD Realy hellps some stuff. Plus one of his vids helped me tighten my stock so realy helpful

Just to give a counterpoint to Magz, Im going to say no. I really like the proprietary battery so for me the SOPMOD was the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

hey look my videos are famous, let me get settled in to my new place ive got many more sopmod mods in the works so i can do more vids!! including removal of the stock and barrel wobble. And a custom main spring and recoil spring. Just give me a little time for some randd hehe

Just read the review (haven't read all 13+ pages of this though!) and I agree with the OP. The gun is indeed quite pricey and the FPS is a bit low, but it's not so low that you can't use it. It's a very fun gun and once you've used it for a skirmish or two, AEG's won't feel the same again.

Other AEG's feel puny compared to my SOPMOD M4 now :)

Any idea of what the FPS would be if you change the spring guide to the new Prometheus bearing one ? I just did, and my gun won't fire - the rest of internals are stock.

Wondering if the standard battery is too weak for the resulting force?!

Ok I'm doing something wrong here (long break from working on the gun - attended Berget 7 with half of team mates gun because of this):

- If I put the motor in the pistol grip and I press it with my finger, at a certain height the gun fires when I press the trigger

- If I put the pistol grip cover on the gun won't fire - it seems as its tightening the motor too much - but the height controling screw is almost OFF

Is there a trick to putting the motor / wires / cover ?

Just wanted to say hello to every TM M4 SOPMOD user. I am waiting for my rifle (at the moment pending customs check for 3 days). Read the topic but forgive me if i'll ask stupid questions, as i am coming from GBB world. So any suggestions on upgrades are welcome

elanaiba theres a small disc spacer have you fit that as well between the motor and end of the grip. this should give the height i too found it had to be wound out fairly far on the motor adjust.

you should try another eg1000 in there if you can just to rule out the motor being a bit pants. Some times they fill up with carbon or the bushes get stuck and cuase an intermitant operation.

wires are ran down the back of the grip, the gripsdesigned to be really tight around the motor.. its should be hard to press the motor into the grip.