Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Ok so I did some digging through here but couldnt really get what I was looking for... I saw a review that said that the gun doesnt really have a standard V2 and that upgrading it is a royal PITA. It said that if someone wanted to swap the spring for a higher FPS that it would be a whole lot more complicated than in a normal AEG... Any truth to this? I was really looking at getting my hands on one of these but if its going to be near impossible (as in not costing a whole heck of a lot) to increase that 290 FPS Im going to have to stay away... Bottom line is that Im really only worried about the velocity. I dont play any CQB and need it at around 370ish. If all I have to do is pop in a new spring then I will certainly be grabbing one of these, but if the review I saw was true, and its going to be tough to do that then Im going to have to look somewhere else.

Also, how would you guys rate the external quality? On par with any other brands out there??

please check the sopmod upgrade guide it has lots of info on all of the different gearboxs and parts that fit. And is updated as and when new stuff comes out and as we get different information.

http://eagle6.co.uk/beta/reviews/how-to-guides/the-new-definative-tm-sopmod-m4-upgrade-guide/

For those who are running sub 400 FPS setups, a viable option for a replacement/ upgrade gear set is the SHS Reinforced Gear set for the New Gen M4. They could be had for $20.50 from eHobbyAsia + shipping

Or $13 plus shipping from Airsoft Panda

-------------

Date Ordered: Sunday 06 November, 2011

Products

------------------------------------------------------

1 x SHS Full steel original torque up Gear Set for New Gen M4 (CL7001/CL7002/CL7003) = $13.00

------------------------------------------------------

Sub-Total: $13.00

Post Office Registered Airmail (below 0.5kg) (5-7 days transit time) (Shipping to United States: 0.15 lb(s)): $6.40

Total: $19.40

Total in USD: $19.4

--------------------

Its under $20 shipped. The material is similar to those used in JG AEG's. While it is not CNC precision cut steel gear sets, the gears are more resistant to wearing down. The cut on the bevel gear teeth matches well with the pinion gear. Yes, that means that your Next Gen Recoil Shock M4 will sound super smooth.

Akira-

I noticed a whiles back that you opted to buy another gearbox shell (just in case yours cracks). I've said it before so in case people forgot...Sorbo padding from Airsoft Research Syndicate will keep the gearbox shells from breaking. It will keep you from having to open up the gearbox to transfer internals onto a new one (that without the sorbo padding, have as good a chance as breaking again as the one before...so you'll probably want to get a sorbo pad for it....in that case, you just paid $45 for the gearbox shell and another $25 for the sorbo padding when you could have just paid $25 in the first place :P). In addition to that, the sorbo padding also corrects the angle of engagement which helps keep the piston from prematurely dying.

----------------------------

Just throwing my 2 cents out there which hopefully save people money in the long run :P

On a side note, my gun still uses the stock spring, spring guide, piston and piston head. I only have the ARS sorbo padding, ported Marui cylinder (from a TM M4), and Prometheus Air Seal Nozzle. WIth a KM 6.04mm TN 300mm inner barrel, I'm getting 308-312 FPS with the hop set for Javelin .20g BBs. With AirsoftOutletNW Tracer .20g BB's, I'm getting 317-322 FPS. With Systema .20g BBs and the hop set for it, I'm getting 305-308 FPS.

Systema BB's aren't as round as the Javelin .20 and AONW tracer BBs. They measure as little as 5.86mm and go up to +.03mm whereas the Javelin .20g BBs measure 5.92mm +.01mm while the tracer BBs read in at 5.95,, +.01mm. To get these measurements, I had to take a measurement, then rotate the BB and remeasure 3 or 4 other times.

• Like 1

Hey guys, a nice deal going on at Echigoya for a cnc buffer tube, cnc buffer tube cap, cnc buffer ring, a.s.a.p. style sling plate, and surus for only $318 (usd). If you were ever considering getting a surus setup, nows the time.

They also have a cheaper kit without the surus.

Chrono Facts.

Ok, guys I chronod my gun with 3 different types of chrono and shock horror here are the results in fps

AEG - SOPMOD, eagle6 M100, marui stock gears, prommy cylinder, prommy piston, prommy piston head, prommy aero cylinder head, prommy air nozzle, prommy 6.01 tight barrel. No hop applied.

1. Madbull V2 chrono - 346, 341, 333, 328, 316, 346, 344, 470

2. Xcortech 3200 - 346, 344, 346, 342, 346, 344, 342, tout

3. Guarder speeder 2000 - 330, 328, 331, 329, 333, 330, 330, 328

So the Guarder seems to give 10fps less than the others whilst the Xcortech seems consistent..the madbull gives the odd funny reading...

Now my site uses a madbull chrono so my gun is tuned to that...

So why the big difference?

To me the Xcortech is probably the better one, but then again, is the gurader the more accurate?

Test performed indoors, daylight hrs, AEG fired 2cm from chrono. Note the BB travels over a greater distance with the Xcortech and the Gurader.

Edited by TK4235

I fancy putting on a RS Eotech 557 onto my SOPMOD...... someone talk me out of buying one.... lol

Seriously though, what optics do you guys use? I have a RS Aimpoint COMP ML2 which I hardly use...looks superb though, a G&P 4x32 arriving soon as I can't afford the £ for a real one....and we can't buy them from the States due to your export rules (ahem)...... I even have a 3x9x40 scope sometimes which I use for spotting... but it looks naff on the M4... :D

Edited by TK4235

The Guarder and madbull chronoes have always given me iffy fps readings in the past. The chrono I used to go with was the green shooting chrony. Aside from The paintball chronoes around, I've only really seen mostly xcortech chrono's and chrony's around. I've had my xcortech for almost two years now. It's good to have for when I do tune ups for people. I can tell them what their gun is shooting and when they get to the field, they get the same fps/ rof values.

anakchan did you already install your CNC lower receiver? hows the fitment?the ARS has promise me to reserve one for me this coming 2nd batch.

oh oh oh i cant wait to have one though it has no markings but not bad. :D

akiraspeedstar you should email the ARS direct not the echigoya.i emailed them 4 times finally they heard my prayers lol.

So today I had some issues in fitting the the CNC buffer tube to the receiver. It's weird, 'cos the CNC buffer will fit to the original TM receiver. The original TM buffer fits onto the CNC receiver and naturally the TM buffer fits on the original TM receiver too. But the CNC only fits on the original TM.

Another minor point is the width which seems a tiny tad narrower than the TM so the mechbox fit is a little PITA. It'll fit in but the selector is extremely tight. I think I spent most of my evening trying to get that to fit in nicely without messing up the selector (yet I still did :-().

I did my readings with the same Xcortech, so if you want a comparison to my gun then there you go.

As for sights, I use a hong kong brand CompM4, it works really good and the build quality is really nice. At one point ai considered real steel, though I could never justify the cost of it. It's not like our guns are as accurate as rs due to its drop and the effects of wind.

Anakchan - That sucks to hear, I hope they fix these issues in future runs. I also hope they're no issues fitting the vltor upper.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

I thought you said PTW just then Kenny... ;)

I was looking at a real Daniel Defence 9" lite rail but was told it would only fit PTW, and GBBR... I thought that really sucked!

I have found a rail in the garage though, been in a box since 2005, i'll stick it on the SOPMOD and put a photo up.... You guys may or may not like it..... lets just say... it's different... lol

Edited by TK4235
  • Like 1

TK, nice buy. Recommend that you find some kind of protector for your 557. Something like this :-

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=EOTLENSP

Get a thick one too, not the crappy thin ones you find around most other airsoft shops. The one I use is approx 6mm acrylic :-

Eotech553s.jpg

So my shipment arrived from Echigoya today, first off I’d like to say Echigoya is bad *albatross*. They hooked me up, I won't say how exactly, as I don't know if they'd want me saying so.

QUALITY:

First I’ll compare the quality of the parts in comparison with the OEM Tokyo Marui parts. The CNC parts as expected are levels above the OEM counterparts.

The buffer tube went flawlessly into the lower receiver and held very firm. One thing I’d really like to point out is that with the OEM tube and ARS ASAP plate (even with the OEM plate), when I’d tighten the ring, the tube would actually spin a little forcing me to hold the tube in place while tightening the ring. Though with the CNC tube it stayed in place without any movement. Also with the screw holes, the screws go in firm without any wobble. It almost feels like I could tighten it with all my might and not strip the threads (though I’ll refrain from trying haha). My OEM tube threads are already a little loose, which is part of the reason I picked this set up.

Also another thing I noticed is that after removing the OEM battery setup and installing a deans connector, the stock wobbled a lot. I did a ghetto fix by adding electrical tape to the buffer tube which helped, but was also pretty ghetto. With the CNC tube there is no wobble what so ever, the stock fits firm which I’m really happy with.

RECOIL:

Alright so the part that everyone would want to know about, though Zaimon and Anakchan have already mentioned this before. With the recoil, it’s unfortunately not what I expected, I believe that I set the bar too high for how I had thought the recoil would be. Is it an improvement over OEM? Hell yes, I forgot how weak the recoil was on the OEM setups (swapped in the OEM spring into the OEM tube before installing the SURUS). Now in comparison to the Eagle6 hard recoil spring/OEM Recoil Weight setup, it’s only slightly harder. I foolishly imagined GBB like kick and unfortunately it’s not there.

MISC:

One thing I’d like to point out is that the rate of fire seems faster with the SURUS system (compared to the E6 spring). I would say it was possibly all in my head, though I actually expected a slower ROF in comparison with the Eagle6. I’d imagine it’s because of two things, one being that the recoil spring isn’t as stiff and the other being that there is no longer 6mm or so of added compression from the Prometheus spring guide, as the SURUS spring guide does not have a bearing.

One thing I did notice is that the Eagle6 spring is stiffer than the SURUS recoil spring. Furthermore it also compresses more before bottoming out. I’m assuming that since the SURUS weight is shorter then the OEM, that possibly it’s meant to bottom out earlier *shrugs*.

FINAL VERDICT:

Overall, I’m still very happy considering that the recoil seems stronger (more so in full auto) and that the build quality of the parts are amazing. What I’m considering to try tomorrow is to actually install the E6 spring with the SURUS. I’d try it now though unfortunately it’s late here in the night and my girlfriend would kill me if I was firing this thing off haha.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Akira, have you Lipo-ed and fetted your setup? If not, try it :D. At least in my setup, the overall kick isn't solely on the SURUS but the complete setup and combination of the SURUS, Lipo, etc. that gives it a "snappier" feel.

You have a mosfet in your gun? What setup did you use?