Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Considering that you already own a SOCOM, sell the SOPMOD considering they're the same gun, just one is front wired and one is rear. Another option, keep the SOPMOD but turn it into a long range rifle. Extend the barrels (inner/outer), change the cylinder accordingly, add a bipod, etc. I wish cylinders didn't recommend only 99mm increments, according to a few sites, the next cylinder up is only recommended for 301mm-400mm barrels, I doubt less then 4" of inner barrel would help me very much with long range.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Forgive me for commenting but I've had a few drinks tonight....however....once AWS releases their Stealth/Raptor equiv for the next gen, what are the benefits do the PTW have over the SOCOM/Sopmod? I must say, aside from the 1:1 specs to milspec M4, the PTW really doesn't have much of an edge over the Stealth-ed/Raptor-ed SOCOM/Sopmod.

i'll keep supporting the sopmod platform, its not just about the sopmods, its about the whole next gen range. What we are talking about is next generation guns to replace all of tm's exsisting range of guns, to not only improve on old designs but add interesting features like the recoil engine.

Its not just about whether a sopmod is better than a ptw, Its about whether Tm's entire range will be something thats sort after as a high end option of any gun they decide to crank out..

I mean scar is quickly becoming a field favorite, Ak is already a tried and tested improvment in accuracy over a standard tm ak. And so is the sopmod / m4 series and g36.

Ignoring the popularity of m4's all i know is now that theres is a next gen, g36, scar, ak, and m4 thats it for me should i ever choose anyone of those options i just couldnt feild another gun having used them all. And thats what its about for me, where is the PTW scar, g36 and ak's... No where... not a chance in hell.

And ill continue to support the platform becuase who knows what they will bring out next year and the year after that. And when we have AWS units for all the next gens... and future next gens... yup the future is bright the future is TM.

• Like 1

Gentlemen I hear you and for what it's worth I agree... the next gen recoil platform is superb..... I came back into Airsoft this year after a long break and when I left in 2005, the TM brand was nothing to shout home about..... in those days it was all Classic Army and ICS and Systema tune up kits.... There was talk of a mysterious Systema PTW and it was all the rage in 2005-2006 if I recall...no one had one, no one could get one unless you were in Japan and the US. If I remember, they cost about £600 plus and that was far above the most expensive TM which I think was about £250'ish..... Anyway, cutting a long story short, when I started looking at airsoft again this year I went through the Z1 AEG list and was shocked to find a TM priced at around the £400 mark. I thought WTF was this? How could a Marui cost so much. Then I saw the next gen recoil description and I started researching... My first skirmish was in Aug this year and I saw a chap with one (box gave it away), it was a SOPMOD, I asked if I could have a go... I held it, was amazed by the quality and then fired it... I was hooked.... 2 weeks later I had my very own SOPMOD.... The rest you know.. :)

Anyway, I have always wanted a PTW since 2005 and I joined the PTW forum and started reading up about them... problems with them left right and centre... then there was Tacklberry (Tac aka Tony) who fixed 3 of the main faults and suddenly the PTW beame a force to be reckoned with again. It all about groupings, and consistent shots time and time again.... and the 1:1 milspec... Yes the TM next generation recoils you can argue are more advanced than a PTW in innovation.... and yes once the Stealth/Raptor mosfett comes out, why would you want a PTW....? Simple answer is that i'm curious.... and I got to get it out of my system...As someone with a PTW that's never let him down said to me.. if you ain't tried it, don't knock it.... so in 12hrs from now i'll have one in my hands..... and if I think it's a waste of money well there's always the For Sale section... :D lol

I can see the 'system' point. I've never hankered after a Systema, but there's been times before where I've noted certain items down on my 'To Buy' list (which is an actual openoffice doc. I have here on my desktop) and not actually bought them until years later.

Still wouldn't ever touch a PTW myself, but there's plenty of other things in airsoft which I dislike, and sometimes you've just got an itch you have to scratch.

TK, when you hold your PTW, you'll probably love the hair trigger response. Same with its quick response, and it's solid feel. There is no doubt about that with PTWs. In fact if only you had a chance to try the Tokyo Move custom where they put a TM Recoil Engine equivalent into the PTW, feel/response-wise it is the ultimate Airsoft M4!! I definitely have no doubt about it.

However, custom modded or not, it's the longevity and durability of the PTW, at least to my mind, is in question. As in the team I run in Tokyo, there are a few PTW owners. And most (if not all) have had repeated breakages after a couple of months->year's use. They can be made reliable but usually that's more time and $$ spent into something that's already expensive. This is just to give you a clearer perspective of where I'm coming from about PTW's.

Your friend with the solid still PTW, that's rare. Very lucky of him.

Anyhow, I think you will enjoy your PTW, no doubt about that. I do hope the one you get is durable though over time.

P.S. About the recoil custom into the PTW by Tokyo Move, you won't see it listed in their web page. But if you call or walk into their shop, they'll tell you about it. It's -really- expensive though. They won't mod your current PTW but if you buy a PTW off them and have it modded from a new purchase they'll keep the warranty, etc. It'll set you back something like USD$3000 without the mags.

I don't know if this is new or not (and I did read about the Lonex version) but Eagle Force have come up with a metal hop chamber for the Sopmod/SOCOM. I've not seen the Lonex one so I don't know if Eagle Force is a copy of Lonex or it's own version :-

https://eagleonlineshop.com/eagleshop/shop/ShopProductDetail.aspx?id=GD-01-07

GD-01-07.jpg

Hey guys,

Can anyone confirm if the following lipo will fit in the front of a standard Sopmod ris:

7.4V 1450mAh Cranestock battery

29A continuous discharge, 58A burst

2 sections, 129 x 22 x 6mm weight 67g.

Its obviously mega thin, but is it too long? If it is, will a 105mm long version fit?[/size]

Cheers, Dan

Can anyone confirm this? Really need to order the batteries. Cheers

I don't know if this is new or not (and I did read about the Lonex version) but Eagle Force have come up with a metal hop chamber for the Sopmod/SOCOM. I've not seen the Lonex one so I don't know if Eagle Force is a copy of Lonex or it's own version :-

https://eagleonlineshop.com/eagleshop/shop/ShopProductDetail.aspx?id=GD-01-07

GD-01-07.jpg

Looks just like the lonex model, I bought one as well and like druid mentioned, it's complete *suitcase*, The barrel wobbled like crazy. I still have it though, figured I'd keep it just in case I was at a game and my hopup for some reason cracked.

I loved my SOCOM but at the last Tier 1 event during as we where being attacked in the middle of the night my battery died after about 3 or 4 shots on my SOCOM the only other weapon I could use was the Boss's Systema, now Ive avoided ever even touching one because I had a funny feeling if I did Id have to have one and I was right !!now lucky for me I managed to pick one up for less than a brand new SOCOM/SOPMOD so it was a no brainer really, I wouldnt say it was leagues better than the TM but more like just different, Ive been trying to think of a way to describe it and I just cant, its just a different experience!!