Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

There is a lot of overlap in the "ideal" ratios and the full cylinder in the sopmod should give scope for a longer tight barrel. I'd have thought.

Try

http://www.filairsoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79832

The tool should give you an idea of how long you can go with the barrel.

Having read a bit about this before some practical test results don't tie in with some of the popular theories. Like so much in airsoft there is plenty of bad info out there.

Personally the barrel ratio in my opinion is an efficiency ratio if you like ie the barrels will work fine but it may not be the most efficient setup giving unexpected fps results. Given that with recoil guns we aren't building for high rate of fire

I'd expect you'd be ok with any reasonable barrel size.

Well I installed a Prometheus TYPE D Cylinder, all of the shops say it should only be used up to a 300mm barrel (which I have). Using that tool it says that I can go all the way up to a 310mm before it being under ratio.

So according to this tool, if I were to buy a TYPE B Cylinder, I'd still be able to utilize a 300mm barrel, yet build a long range upper with a 500mm barrel. Though it would be very close to being over ratio, though it'd still function. Hmmm....choices...

Well I picked up my barrel base today from the post office, well done Echigoya less than a week!

Anyways it is a little thicker than the normal barrel base, I had to use 5 shims (0.1 each) less with the new base. Locks in tight to the barrel and fits very well with the DD barrel nut. The hole is snug to get the stock socom wiring and spades through but they do go.

Overall barrel movement is much improved obviously the barel has a little give but the base is rock solid.

Well I picked up my barrel base today from the post office, well done Echigoya less than a week!

Anyways it is a little thicker than the normal barrel base, I had to use 5 shims (0.1 each) less with the new base. Locks in tight to the barrel and fits very well with the DD barrel nut. The hole is snug to get the stock socom wiring and spades through but they do go.

Overall barrel movement is much improved obviously the barel has a little give but the base is rock solid.

ARS 360 degrees barrel base FTW. the horse shoe type is old fashion lol.

Sad news.. I am SOPMOD-less now....I let her go today, however I know she's gone to a good airsofter.....

So it's over to my SOCOM..... time to pimp out that bad bad girl now.... :)

Question is, do I bank the money or accidently pick up a SCARL CQC? decision, decisons... :D

hold be patient. wait for the scar-h :D

The barrel didnt wobble ao much as when you tried to move the barrel you could see the base flex, would probably have been ok but I didn't like it. One clash with a doorframe in CQB would have probably been the end of the base.

The light rail only fixes to its own 'ring' that is held in place by the barrel nut, it places no load on the barrel or base, hence offers the barrel no support either.

The barrel didnt wobble ao much as when you tried to move the barrel you could see the base flex, would probably have been ok but I didn't like it. One clash with a doorframe in CQB would have probably been the end of the base.

The light rail only fixes to its own 'ring' that is held in place by the barrel nut, it places no load on the barrel or base, hence offers the barrel no support either.

Ok, since I can't check now, is the SOCOM barrel held the same way as that of the SOPMOD? My sopmod barrel was uber rock solid with zero barrel movement and no wobble at all.

Nooooooooooooooooooo, is it just me or does the H look "wrong".. The barrel is way too long IMHO.. I prefer the look of the CQC...

Over to the SCAR thread... lol :D

Not sure if you know, but you can just screw off the end of the barrel and make it a 13" barrel

01.jpeg

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Guys, what after market stocks can I put on the SOCOM. The obvious stock issue with the SOPMOD is the battery...Can I put any AEG stock on the SOCOM then? The rubber butt end on the SOPMOD stock I though was pretty cool and also helped protect the gun when standing it on it's end...

Edited by TK4235