Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

It'll fit, don't buy one though. I've got the exact same thing and I know a couple of other guys with them and the build quality is seriously lacking. None of us can get anything mounted on account of all the rails being out of spec; much too wide for the majority of 20mm accessories, optics, grips, covers etc. Between that and the cheap as *fruitcage* paint they slathered on there.. $95? Pff! Try about $30 and I might get back to you.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Tricky... the only proper rail I have experience of using with a SOCOM is my King Arms MRF, they have a funny sort of one of those in:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/r-i-s-r-a-s/for-rifles-aegs/king-arms-system-cx-free-floating-forearm-rail.html

Any standard KAC RAS replica will take a nun-chuck lipo as well, think they have a couple of those in. Bit old school but they still do the job.

Anything other than that and I'd be guessing I'm afraid.

I'll agree that Madbulls rails are out of spec, still nice peices though, the finish on my mk18 rail is nice.

My DD L85 rail is pretty decent too, just seems to be the Omegas for some reason. The finish on mine is like rough, lumpy paint. I've got Element rails which are far nicer, which is shocking considering the price difference.

Also the Omega rail will not take a battery nor will the mk18

If you want a continuos top rail front end the DD lite rail is a good option.

Strange to hear about such a bad finish on a Madbull rail and out of spec. Mine is nicely furnished and matches the TM top rail dinension. Suppose it could be why the Lite rail was chosen over the Omega for the Recce.

The lite looks like it has less room in comparison to the MK18, optical illusion? haha

SOCOM Owners - Could one of you guys take pictures of the wiring routing? mostly how it goes through the bolt lock area. I still want a CTR Stock plus I'd like to balance out the gun a little by taking away the back battery.

Also has anyone ever tried fitting a real steel stock on our guns? I hate how the Magpul PTS version costs more then it's real steel counterpart.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Alright I made what I'll call a "Tester LiPo" out of some bb's and tape haha. Anyways the size is about 6mm x 18mm x 100mm and it fit in there.

I found this battery on eHobbyAsia, I think I'm going to order one to see how it fits in there as it states the size is 5mm x 19mm x 102mm.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/bb-battery/batteries/lithium-batteries/king-arms-7-4v-1100mah-15c-twin-type-lithium-battery.html

What batteries is everyone else trying to fit into their rails?

Edited by akiraspeedstar

Unfortunately my plans got put on hold for now, but anyways Kunlun just make sure the battery is no thicker then 6mm, cause that's already pushing it. That battery I posted is supposed to be only 5mm thick and 19mm in width, which should fit in the event that your battery doesn't.

Guys, is anyone using the firefly flat nub and firefly bucking combo in their SOPMOD/SOCOM? If so, have you seen an improvement in performance?

Also, do you know if one can mix the normal nub with say a soft bucking? Or must it be like for like?

I put a soft bucking into my pommy barrel and could only see 3 out of the 4 fingers. Mind you, I was using the stock marui nub so that may explain that.

Hi guys.

can anyone tell me if the Laylax wrench for the sopmod fits the barrel nut supplied with the DD lite rail? Or do i need to order the specific Madbull Wrench as well?

thanks

Sadly, you will need the Madbull Wrench aswell. I have just checked the laylax sopmod wrench diameter it's a tad too big. It fits the DD barrel nut by a couple of mm. I feel when you tighten the DD barrel nut, the wrench will slip and scratch the DD nut.

Edited by TK4235

Sadly, you will need the Madbull Wrench aswell. I have just checked the laylax sopmod wrench diameter it's a tad too big. It fits the DD barrel nut by a couple of mm. I feel when you tighten the DD barrel nut, the wrench will slip and scratch the DD nut.

I used a G&P stock tube wrench to tighten my DD barrel nut.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks for that guys.