Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

Well, these are almost 10 bucks cheaper shipped than the TM without shipping, and Im sure they will be cheaper once we can buy them without EBB "shipping included" policy. I personally think TM ones while very good, are a bit overpriced and as has being commented in this thread a couple of times, they have some... issues, solvable, but issues, and if im going to pay 25 buck per mag... I dont want to be working on them.

Worst case scenario, I will keep playing with two hicaps and one lowcap :lol:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

I've just finished building my spr mk12 mod0 from a broken sopmod. When I was rewiring the gearbox I couldn't believe how good this gearbox was. Not that it's so strong, but the ingenuity of TM is amazing. If only they wouldn't use pot metal for the receiver and stock tube...

Edited by Elvis

do any one put an eagle6 M120 spring on his sopmod.....and if he do ,can tell'me pls if the stock motor it will be able to pull the spring?

I mentioned i all redy have brougt all promy parts in the gearbox (double torque gear) except the case :) .

the fps limit were i ply is 410 fps and i want to bring my sopmod close to that limit.

ps: any another sugestion it will be welcome :)

Edited by wakimonno

I've just finished building my spr mk12 mod0 from a broken sopmod. When I was rewiring the gearbox I couldn't believe how good this gearbox was. Not that it's so strong, but the ingenuity of TM is amazing. If only they wouldn't use pot metal for the receiver and stock tube...

I don't know much about metal, but what would be an alternative to pot metal and would that add cost to an already expensive system?

Well, they use aluminium for the real thing. They wouldn't exactly have to CNC it or anything, just a decent casting would probably be fine. Personally I wouldn't mind paying the added cost, although to be quite honest I've never had a problem with any metal parts on any TM weapon.

Edited by CKinnerley

do any one put an eagle6 M120 spring on his sopmod.....and if he do ,can tell'me pls if the stock motor it will be able to pull the spring?

I mentioned i all redy have brougt all promy parts in the gearbox (double torque gear) except the case :) .

the fps limit were i ply is 410 fps and i want to bring my sopmod close to that limit.

I have not tried the 120 spring myself. But my expirience with the eagle6 springs is that it comes very close to the highest stated fps for the particular spring. So the Prommy upgrades and the 120 spring will probably get you very close to 420 fps. The M110 spring will probably get you about 390 fps. But considering the quality of the TM hop, nobody will probably beat you for range. Certainly not if you use the Firefly rubber/nub combo.

The sopmod metal feels solid to me. it cant be used of the same pot metal used for cheaper guns?!

the fps limit were i ply is 410 fps and i want to bring my sopm"od close to that limit.

I wouldn't buy the M120 spring, as it would probably push you over the fps limit that you're trying to achieve. I have every part available to change in my gun (all prommy as well) and with a M110 it's shooting consistent 398fps. Also the motor has no trouble pulling the spring back, I'd imagine a M120 wouldn't be much different (though a little slower). This is also with the SURUS system as well, which makes the motor work even harder. Though if worst comes to worst, purchase the Kobayashi motor from Echigoya, I'll probably be picking one up for the hell of it in the near future.

Pics?

Edited by akiraspeedstar

m120 is about 400 fps, espcially at these temperatures that we are getting lately.

One thing i did notice that on one particular gun it was getting lock ups with the m120 and the promy spring guide and piston head, we had to wind the stock tube out one turn, 2mm, to get it to cycle properly. Just something worth noting if you get any issues with the m120 specifically. Also a nice way of altering your fps if any ones forgoten.

The TM mags are expensive to buy any way, but the main thing that increases the cost is weight... you buy in 20 - 30 mags and it costs you more in shipping...

Trust me i have 15 odd brand new mags still and i have to sell them at 24 quid just to break even. Which means unless i was doing a specific sea freight shippment i couldnt get them any cheaper. Ie: big stores only. Sea freights at least a month and a half delivery time, you can understand why a company would want to get some money back on that investment. hence thats why tm mags are the price they are and always out of stock.

When I was getting my split barrel base from Echigoya I found that adding a mag to the order didn't increase the shipping price. So worth noting if you are ordering small parts that an additional mag on your order may not bump you into the next shipping weight bracket.

Yeah you can actually add a decent amount of stuff to an order with them before the shipping goes up.

Echigoya is sick, good prices, fast processing, and fast shipping. Plus they take care of their customers, I recently won a Tokyo Marui Night Warrior gbb from them (should be here Monday).

Edited by akiraspeedstar

One thing i did notice that on one particular gun it was getting lock ups with the m120 and the promy spring guide and piston head, we had to wind the stock tube out one turn, 2mm, to get it to cycle properly. Just something worth noting if you get any issues with the m120 specifically. Also a nice way of altering your fps if any ones forgoten.

On my SOPMOD, when the stock was completely wound hand tight onto the receiver, the stock would sit at the 1pm position (wire track facing towards 1pm), therefore I had to turn it back half a turn to 6pm. Is this what other people have experienced too?

Test fired the SOCOM today and I got a jam in semi. Had to switch to auto to get the gun to fire again and this is using a gearbox which has not been cracked open yet!

Also got 2 bbs being fired at the same time on a few occasions.. What could cause that?

Happens to me all the time (not just the socom but other recoil aegs and also regular aegs). I used 8.4v

its not a big deal though. just the nature of the gearbox that causes it